Miami Dolphin Season Recap

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by stryder24, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

@Keller You can move this if you want, but liked Titans idea.

The Miami Dolphins lost to the Broncos in the divisional game, but they have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and have much to be excited about for this off-season and next year.

Offensively the Dolphins had another good year. Not a great year, but they did finish with 2 ProBowlers on Offense with

Ronnie Brown -- 1436 yards rushing and 16 TDs
    Brandon Marshall -- 1357 yards receiving and 21 TDS

If you see Chad Henne's numbers, 3338 yards, 32 TDs to 10 INTs they look good enough, but Chad missed throws all year. His inaccuracy got Brandon Marshall killed a few occassions, and going into a contract year, Henne's days might be numbered. He needs a big season.
    Ronnie Brown might have made the probowl, but he had 7 fumbles this season, a career high, 1 of which cost the Dolphins a game, and almost the division.
    Marshall was a beast all year, he routinely faced double coverage and was moved around to create mismatches. Only look for him to get better and better as the years go on.
    Rookie Jalen Driskell finished 2nd on the team is receptions and yards, even though he was out for 5 weeks with an injury. Brian Hartline was 2nd on the team in receiving TD's and is hoping to be a break-out star in the upcoming season. Devone Bess was a disappointment. Ever since moving into the starting lineup, he could rarely break away from coverage, and just could not get open. Look for Miami to either trade for, or draft a WR with speed for next season.
    Rookie KR Terrence Lucas, rarely saw the field on offense, but he was a key contributor on Special teams. He had 2 Kick returns for a TD in the season and will only get better from here.
    Along the offensive line 3 lineman are set to become Free Agents and Coach Stryder needs to determine if he can or wants to resign all three.

In conclusion offensively, look for the Dolphins to unveil a new offense next season that can get these possesion receivers the ball in space more, for more big plays. Also, Chad and Devone Bess need a big offseason, and still could possibly get moved for the right price.

Defensively, the Dolphins finished 4th Overall (6th in rushing D and 4th in passing D). Some of that is attributed to Miamis Ball-control style offense, however, the Dolphins did send 3 players to the Pro Bowl.

DE Kendall Langford led the team in sacks with 7, but had 19! Tackles for loss and a huge Interception in the first playoff game. He was rewarded midseason with a 4 year extension, and he is not going anywhere.
    CB Vontae Davis had 38 tackles and led the team with 6 picks and also had 10 pass deflections en route to his first probowl.
    Rookie CB Reshad St. Saint went the probowl as a rookie, had 41 tackles, 3 TFL, 4 INTs, 7 Deflections, and 2 forced fumbles. The fact that he was not even a finalish for DROY is something he is going to be dreaming about this offseason.

Along the rest of the Defensive line, Jared Odrick had 5 Sacks and 10 TFL, and Paul Solai and Randy Starks combined for 18 TFL and 10 sacks in the nose tackle position.
    Cameron Wake led the team in tackles, but was shut out in the sack department, Channing Crowder was also shut out for sacks, but both men had 30 combined TFLs. Captain Karlos Dansy missed 10 weeks because of an injury, and, like his other LB counterparts, registered zero sacks.
    The fact that the Linebackers collectively had zero sacks is embarrassing, and Coach Stryder will make sure that does not happen again this year.
    We already mentioned the 2 two ProBowl DBs, Will Allen played nickel back the majority of the year but he is now 33, and will probably not get resigned even though he did led the team in pass deflections.
    J.D. Nealy had a solid rookie showing at FS this year, however, SS Yeremiah Bell was a ghost most of the season and Miami will definitely be looking to get younger and faster here.

Overall, the unit played well, Coach Stryder rarely blitzed and had a +14 TO Ratio, however, they could not get off the field on third downs. Look for Miami to possibly change some defensive schemes and either add a pass rushing LB, or let the LBs he has on the roster loose more for hopefully better results.

Going into the offseason, Miami has 11 players contracts expiring. Obviously some of those will need to be resigned, but look for Miami to maybe move some players as well. Always looking to get younger, and faster and better.

Schedule
    Week 1 Dolphins 41 - Patriots 23(PVP)
    Week 2 Dolphins 24 - Chiefs 20(PVP)
    Week 3 Bengals 28 - Dolphins 21(PVP)
    Week 4 Dolphins 35 - Jets 7
    Week 5 Dolphins 26 - Redskins 10
    Week 5 BYE
    Week 7 Raiders 14 - Dolphins 7(PVP)
    Week 8 Dolphins 27 - Bills 24(PVP)
    Week 9 Giants 22 - Dolphins 13(SIMMED)
    Week 10 Dolphins 35 - Texans 14(PVP)
    Week 11 Dolphins 20 - Eagles 17(PVP)
    Week 12 Dolphins 63 - Chargers 0(FYI I had 3 pick 6s in this game and ran over 30 times)
    Week 13 Cowboys 41 - Dolphins 21(PVP)
    Week 14 Dolphins 31 - Broncos 24(PVP)
    Week 15 Dolphins 35 - Jets 6
    Week 16 Bills 13 - Dolphins 10(PVP)
    Week 17 Dolphins 24 - Patriots 10
    Wildcard Dolphins 27 - Chiefs 17(PVP)
    Divisional Broncos 21 - Dolphins 20(PVP)

Overall 12-6 Division Champions
    PVP Record (7-5)

Offseason needs --- Speed WR, Interior OLineman, a Nickel Back, a Strong Safety and maybe a QB :)

2. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

Nice. A thought for you: Davone Bess has always been a slot receiver in my head. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know his attributes that well, but it sounds like the same problem I had with Dexter McCluster. Dex is fast, small and a good hands guy, but he could never get open at the #2 receiver postion.

Before Charles went down, I bumped Dexter to #3 and moved up my 6'5" rookie Lavon Waiters to #2. It was a risk (McCluster 81 OVR, Waiter 74 OVR), because Waiters has bad hands, but I went with 3 wide receivers often since fullback was a weakness.

Maybe you just need a bigger guy at that #2 receiver. Check the route running attribute as well.

3. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

yea i think you are right... even the real dolphins have devone as the slot guy the entire time... maybe I will trade hartline and get a speedy outside guy and do that....

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

A nickel back? Don't you have Sean Smith too? Yeesh.

5. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I traded Sean smith last year for j.d. nealy. My Free safety

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Ahhhh riiight I forgot. Good stuff tho Stryder. I really like these, I hope more people do them.

7. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

Offseason needs --- Speed WR, Interior OLineman, a Nickel Back, a Strong Safety and maybe a QB :)

Drafted a speed WR in round 1
    LG Logan Mankins fills my interior lineman need
    Dwight Lowery fills nickel back need
    Bob Sanders is a 2 year probowl stop gap at SS.

I think I did pretty well :)