Miami finishing strong grabs 5th seed from Jets

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by DJDunn6, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

The Dolphins came into the final game of the season happy to be a playoff team and not sure whether to risk injury being they had several starters out for multiple weeks or go for the 5th seed in the AFC. Miami and its coaches agreed there is only one way to play and that's all out and that's what they did.

The Dolphins lost a tough game to Coach TJ a couple weeks prior and what really turned the tide was a KR for a TD given up and a late fluke INT off a dropped pass, this game would feature both again.

Marcus Thigpen took the opening KO back 100 yards to start the game getting revenge on the previously mentioned KR given up and Miami and its crowd got into the game early 7-0 Miami. The Miami D was pretty sound all game trying not to give up any big plays and contain the running of the Jets and early this would be the case as the Jets could not mount a long drive and punted to Miami. Up one score and with the ball the Dolphins looked to gain some early control but an interception on a bad read would halt that and the Jets got the ball back. The Dolphins however would contain the Jets and force a FG making it 7-3. On the next drive the Dolphins could not run the ball well but a late check at the line got a one on one on the outside with Tyquan Underwood, Tannehill would look off the S and throw a strike deep for a long TD making the score 14-3. The Jets would answer on a nice drive as Geno Smith just back from injury would connect on a screen pass to RB Goodson and the score mid way through the 2nd was 14-10.

The Miami coaches had thoughts of their previous game with NY when they blew a couple leads and knew they needed to answer. Miami went on a nice drive mixing pass and tough runs resulting in a TD run from Ben Tate right around the 2 minute mark and a 21-10 lead. The Jets would attempt to get a late score and the biggest play of the game would happen as Geno found WR Holmes around mid field for a 10 yard gain however CB Brett Grimes would pop the ball free in the open field and the Fish would recover. A few plays later on a big 2nd down and long Tannehill would find speedy slot WR Ryan Swope on a post route into a zone in the back of the endzone for a late TD and a 28-10 lead at the break.

The Dolphins knew they needed to hold on to the ball and force the Jets to drive the length of the field they did just that. The Jets went on long drive but only got a FG and used 3/4's of the third quarter in doing so making the score 28-13 late in the 3rd. Miami got the ball back and ran it tough and often into the 4th qrt also converting a 3rd down pass to Dustin Keller and drove into the redzone with about 5 minutes left. Even though Miami has not run great in either of its last 2 games the combo of Miller and Tate have found a way to move the chains late when needed. Coach Dunn instructed Miami to run it and not turn it over and get back the FG that would make it a 3 score game. For some reason Tannehill could not listen and checked out of a run to a slant that was in traffic and appeared to be tipped to the ground but as it turned out CB Millner scouped it off before it hit the grass rolled over appearing to not be touched and ran 90 yards the other way for the TD yet another wierd INT thrown in a huge spot. The Jets cut the lead to 28-20 and now Miami would need to score to get their comfort level back.

Lamar Miller would help the cause in the air this time as he would take a screen pass to the short side evade 3 defenders and scamper to the Jets 40. From there Tate and Miller again would pound the rock and the clock ending in a FG putting Miami up 31-20 with about 2 mins left in the game. The Jets would mount a late charge and smartly kick a FG to make it a one score game again rather than waste time looking for the TD however Miami would recover the onside kick locking up the game 31-23 finishing a surprising 11-5 and pleasing the home crowd with a 7-1 record in South Florida. The coaching staff is thrilled that after a tough loss to the Jets and the woodshed loss to the Pats they may fold the tents for the season but they showed some heart and battled back. Miami appears to now await the winner of the AFC West in the WC round and looks to do some damage in the AFC. GG TJ and GL with your own postseason run...

klaximilian

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I taped the game, let me see if I can extract some highlights, including that very bizarre pick-6. I thought he was down, but Milliner didn't hear the whistle.

Good write-up Dunn. As always, a pleasure.

• Like Like x 4
  3. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Nice job Dunn

• Like Like x 1
  4. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Great recap Danny! Congrats on the 5 spot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CHUNKNESS

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Thanks men having a good time enjoying the games. If I could figure out and get my PVR to work correctly I will have some highlights down the road as well...

• Like Like x 2
  7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

DJDunn6
    CHUNKNESS

Sorry for the small amount of highlights. It's a work day and all I have time for was the scoring plays.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CHUNKNESS

No matter. Highlights! Thx! :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

that Milliner pick was nice

• Like Like x 1