Miami Heat

Discussion in 'NBA 2K' started by BDSDIGITAL, Mar 7, 2011.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

After watching the Heat this year and specifically the Orlando, S. Antonio, and Chicago over the weekend, I found myself wondering at what point would Miami consider moving James or Bosh or Wade? I doubt they are even considering it, but I wonder when they get to a point where they start to think about remaking the roster. The way they are now I just don't think they can win a title with what they have now. I'm not sure they can get out of the 1st round honestly.. Even if they did A series against Boston or Chicago in the 2nd round would be over quick. They seem to play Orlando relatively well though.

I think we all knew this team would have issues but they just can't win a championship with some pieces that they are really lacking. They need someone who can post and can work the offense inside, they need rebounding help, they need a good Point Guard, badly.

I don't see how they can assemble those kind of pieces with 3 close to max contracts on the books. Not to mention the 5 million plus they have in Mike Miller per season. They're fucking 3.3 million into Joel Anthony....really? They have 3 million + in Haslem, who will help but isn't the whole answer.

If it was me I would be looking to move James. I'd keep Wade (because I think he's the better asset) and I'd keep Bosh, because he brings a different skill set and could be some help if he had another big next to him that could rebound and post.

I would think a trade for James, if that's even possible (not sure if he has a no trade clause) would make them a better team if they could secure a few post up bigs and a top level PG for him.

I know they all 3 can opt out of their contracts after year 4. I don't see how this set up can work with out those parts though. I thought that before the season started and I'm convinced it's true now.

Does anyone else think this would be a good idea for the Heat at some point? Are there believers in this team out there?

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Lebron is WAY better on a team that he controls. This team will never win a title. They could lose in the first round easy.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I think if the heat were to look to move anyone, it would be Wade. Lebron is younger, with less mileage on him, and I don't think they'd get value on a trade for Bosh. I don't think a trade will happen though, barring a change in the CBA that makes it impossible to get the right surrounding pieces with the contracts already on the books. That said, I'm not counting the Heat out. They are a few missed shots late away from running away with the eastern conference, and they play great defense. In the playoffs, defense is what matters, and they'll be in most games with 2 of the top 5 guys in the league at crunch time.

With hindsight being 20/20, as a Bulls fan I'm thrilled that they didn't get Lebron/Wade/Bosh, as it's becoming pretty evident that the 3 of them are not as mentally tough as people thought they were.

4. Hova

They have great perimeter defense which will do them no good verse the strong PGs in the East. What really matters is post defense which they have ZERO of.

5. Dru50

I'm not sure I agree Hova, there aren't many great post players anymore, especially in the east:
    • Dwight Howard is a pretty average offensive player, and it's been shown that the best way to beat the Magic is to play him one on one and force the perimeter guys to make plays off the dribble.
    • Kevin Garnett is a good offensive guy in the post, but he shoots jumpers as often as he plays in the paint.
    • Carlos Boozer has some post moves, but he's also kind of small for a PF.
    • Horford isn't a beast in the paint.
    • Amare is much more of a spot up shooter/driver than a true post presence.
    I think if the Heat get Haslem back before the playoffs (which sounds likely), they've easily got enough post defense to contend in the east. What they don't have is a legit shot-blocker.

Now the PG defense is a different matter, I think the Heat believed they could play Wade/Lebron vs the Tony Parker/Derrick Rose/Chris Paul guys, but it's becoming pretty obvious that they aren't able to stay in front of the elite PG's consistently. The Spurs especially showed what a top penetrating PG could do to the Heat, and the Heat changed up vs the Bulls and consistently trapped the pick and roll. Problem was that this led to the guy setting the pick sliding off quick and getting into the lane for a number of easy passes that led to points.

I still contend that the Heat will make some noise in the playoffs, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them in the eastern conference finals.

6. Hova

Teams will be able to get easy points on them all day because they have no presence down low, like you saw with the easy dunk by Noah. The celtics do that even better with rondo. It is much harder for Miami to score because posting up is not an option, Lebron or Dwade have to play superman to win them big games. We've seen what happens to lebron when he is forced to do that in the playoffs. For them to win a series Dwade or Lebron are going to have to play at the unstoppable level, which they won't do for a whole series.

7. Dru50

You do realize that the Heat are the #2 team defensively in opponents FG%, right? That's the most accepted stat when it comes to how good of a team you are defensively. I think you are overreacting with how bad you are portraying the Heat's defense to be.

You don't really think they are losing in the first round do you? This is still the east, and even if they stay at the #3 seed, they'd likely play New York and they are a better version of what the Knicks are trying to build. Love em or hate em, the Heat are making the 2nd round of the playoffs. They may lose in a series to Orlando or Chicago or Boston, but they aren't losing a series to the Hawks/Knicks/Pacers/fill in the blank with whatever other crappy team from the bottom of the east you can think of.

8. Hova

Hawks and Pacers no way, but the Knicks could beat them in 7 if things go right. I wouldn't guarantee a Miami series win over NY, just favor it.

9. BDSDIGITAL

I agree. I think they'd win a series vs. NY but I wouldn't be surprised if they went the distance. The Hawks/ Pacers / Sixers ain't gonna get it done though.

I think it all depends on their seed. I think they would fair well in a long series vs. Orlando but would have a really tough time vs. Boston or Chicago.

10. Dru50

@HovaTheGodMC

For what it's worth - here are the Heat's team defensive stats:

Rebound differential: +1.89 (6th in the NBA - Bulls are #1 [​IMG] at +5.41)
    Opponents FG%: 43.0% (2nd in the NBA - Bulls are #1 at 42.9%)
    Opponents 3pt %: 33.7% (tied for 4th in the NBA - Bulls are #1 at 32.7%)
    Opponents PPS (Points per Shot): 1.17 (tied for 3rd in the NBA - Lakers are #1 at 1.14)
    Opponents adjusted FG%: 47.1% (tied for 3rd in the NBA - Bulls are #1 at 46.3%)

I think saying that an opposing team in the playoffs will get "easy points on them all day because they have no presence down low" is completely ludicrous. By any measure the Heat have one of the top 3-4 defenses in the league this year.

11. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Before all the Miami fans start to jump off a ledge just remember that at the all star break everyone was talking about the Lakers falling apart and now they are playing like the best team in the league. In the NBA things change by the week and Miami could have it figured out by the time the playoffs roll around.

12. Hova

Their record vs teams over .500 says more than those. They dominate bad teams, then lose to the good ones when the chips are down at the end.

13. Dru50

But you were claiming that they won't be able to stop anyone in the playoffs, which the stats don't back up. Aside from the game vs the Spurs they are losing to the top teams because they can't make shots in the clutch (the Heat have the worst FG% in the final 10 seconds of close games this year), not because of their defense.

14. Hova

I would like to see those defensive stats vs the top teams. They aren't playing great defense when they lose, if that was the case they would be beating the good teams like the bulls and celtics do.

15. Dru50

vs Bulls - 87 points allowed, 45.9% FG allowed, 21.4% 3pt allowed
    vs Bulls - 93 pts allowed, 41.5% FG allowed, 19% 3pt allowed
    vs Celtics - 85 pts allowed, 42.3% FG allowed, 26.7% 3pt allowed
    vs Bulls - 99 pts, 46.4% FG, 36.8% 3pt
    vs Dallas - 98 pts, 44.6% FG, 38.1% 3pt
    vs Lakers - 80 pts, 40.5% FG, 31.6% 3pt

that's the stats going back to Christmas, if you think those are the stats of a bad defensive team, I don't know what to tell you.

16. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Bulls and Celtics are both much better TEAMS than the Heat. I would also favor the Magic in a 7 game series, as I would the Knicks who proved they could beat the Heat.

Bottom Line: Miami has no depth and Zydrunas Illgauskas, Eric Dampier and Mike Bibby are getting minutes for them. What do you expect?

17. Hova

It gets progressively worse. They blow 20+ point leads over and over. That has to be a defensive flaw, and their is an obvious defensive issue in the post as they have ABSOLUTELY nobody down their that can play a lick of defense and that will ultimately be their demise. That's where they fail to match up verse every other team in the east, post defense.

18. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

They don't have a BIG MAN that can play defense... Wade and Lebron are fine on an island by themselves... Bosh and whoever else is down there struggle... they really miss Haslem because he did all the bangin' downlow... if he was healthy I don't think we have this discussion because Bosh's fruity ass would be able to shine versus some scrub

19. mickey13

mickey13 Walk On

I don't think they are getting enough credit. Don't forget though they look like they are struggling right now, at any point they can dominate a game. They have lost a few here lately, as did they at the beginning of the season, but they have also had some really good runs.

20. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

I noticed that u left out San Ant and Orlando.

21. Dru50

1 - I said in an earlier post that aside from the San Antonio game (which was an aberration - a team hitting 17-28 3's happens about once a year) they were a top defensive team. Every great defensive team has bad games.
    2 - I was pulling this from my iPhone and decided to limit it to the top 4-5 teams in the league (which was what was requested by Hova). Sorry, Orlando is a top 8-10 team in the league, they may not even be top 4 in the east by the time the playoffs get here.

For the people who really think that Miami is a bad defensive team, you obviously don't know that much about basketball and arguing the point further is a waste of time.

22. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Hey you bastard, the Magic will be 3rd or
    4th depending on if the Heat get their shit together.

23. Dru50

Somehow I knew that was coming....

What - did you get Shaun to have the forum give you an alert anytime the Magic are mentioned?;)

And now that I take another look at the standings - you are right, the Magic will be no worse than 4th in the East. For some reason I thought the Hawks and Knicks were closing to the Magic in the standings.

24. Hova

Magic could easily beat the Heat in 7 as well. This is also not a "bad streak" like the lakers. This is losing against good teams which they have done ALL year

25. BDSDIGITAL

Miami is a good team, but they have a tough time beating other good teams that's all. I don't believe they are a bad defensive team, but aspects of their defense are very suspect (interior). If this was a league that had more good low post scorers their numbers wouldn't be as good.

And as far as the Eastern conference Bondzai, you better hope the Heat pull it together and keep the 3 seed. The 3 is more than likely going to play the Knicks. I've watched their last two games and I like what I see. Not that they would necessarily win their first round series, but I'd much rather play the Hawks than the Knicks right now for sure.