Miami Hurricanes

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Colemanchu, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Miami Hurricanes

Week 1 @ FSU
    It was just another rainy day in Florida, except for today is the day when little kids smile, lost puppies come home, and grown men run full force into each other for nothing but the glory of the game. This day is opening of college football and what better way to kick things of than a healthy dose of Miami and Florida St.
    Gameday was on campus to view yet another instant classic in the historic rivalry. Miami opened up the scoring as quarterback Jacory Harris connected on a 15 yard touch down pass to Leonard Hankerson. The Tallahasee crowd didn't stay quiet for long as Florida St returnman Taiwan Easterling took the ensuing kickoff 89 yards up the right sideline to tie the game at 7-7. After Miamis offense stalled FSU halfback Jermaine Thomas took over, running through and around Hurricane defenders eventually reaching the end zone on a 6 yard run.
    After a Miami field goal and FSU touchdown the Hurricanes gained possession with less than a minute in the half trailing 21-10. The Canes came out five wide and utilized the no huddle to perfection setting up a 6 yard touchdown pass to impact wide receiver Adalius Johnson to make it 21-17 at the half.
    The action on offense stopped for both teams until late in the fourth when FSU went up 7 on a 42 yard field with a minute left in the game. The following drive came down to a 3rd and long as Harris scrambled for the first down and was knocked out of bounds, or atleast that's what Brad Nessler thought. The referees on the other marked the ball 4th an inches and kept the clock running forcing coach Coleman to burn his last time out. So with 13 seconds left and half a field in front of him Harris dropped back to pass. To his surprise he spotted a receiver streaking down the middle of the field open in between the zone coverage. Unfortunately for Canes' fans the young quarterback wasn't able to put the proper touch on the ball to get it over the dropping linebacker as the defender leaped into the air and got just enough of the ball to secure the 24-17 victory.
    The obvious choice for player of the game in this one was FSU halfback Jermaine Thomas as he led his team in both rushing(22 car, 149 yds, TD) and receiving (6 cth, 53 yds). Combine that with a smart passing game and a bend but don't break defense and the Noles strike first in a series that is sure provide many more exciting finishes. The only question is can the rest of the E League do the same.

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Nice write-up Cole - blog that sucka!

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I'm having problems blogging from the phone.

WEEK 2- Getting ready for Georgia Tech.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

WEEK 3- vs #14 Georgia Tech

Week 3 brought a battle between two teams expected to compete for the top spot in the Coastal division. Miami was coming off a bye following their dissapointing performance in a bitter week 1 loss to rival FSU. In that game their run defense struggled greatly allowing the Noles to carve their way down the field for most of the game. This week brought another challenge as the FleXbox One oriented Yellow Jackets came to town.
    The Canes defense looked good early forcing Georgia Tech into a third and long, but GT quarterback Nesbitt was able to thread the needle to complete a first down and set up impact FB Jon Dwyer for his first TD of the game. http://beta.easports.com/media/play/video/8214424 Miami was able to answer as Junior halfback Greg Cooper scored from four yards out to make the score 7-7 at the end of the first quarter.
    The second quarter was largely uneventful until with just under two minutes left the fleXbox One was worked to perfection on a E Peeples 50 yard TD run following a perfectly timed pitch from quarterback Nesbitt. http://beta.easports.com/media/play/video/8214426 The Canes were able to answeer once again as they drove down the field and tied the game at 14 on a 16 yard touchdown reception by Hankerson with eleven seconds remaining.
    Feeling confident coming out of the tunnell for the second half the Canes took the ball and looked to take control of the game. Sophmore quarterback Harris made a costly mistake though trying to throw the ball back across the field resulting in the days only turnover for either team. The Georgia Tech offense would continue to power the ball down the field and take back the lead on Jon Dwyer's second rushing score of the game with 2:03 left in the third. It took less than a minute for the young Miami offense to answer yet again as halfback Cooper took the ball off right tackle untouched for a 65 yard touchdown. http://beta.easports.com/media/play/video/8214474 The Jackets showed their own ability to bounce back as on 3rd and four the Miami defense stuffed the option dead in the backfield but Nesbitt was able to pull a rabbit out of his hat and get the ball to impact runningback Jones for a 64 yard gain inside the home teams ten yard line. http://beta.easports.com/media/play/video/8214491
    That tackle would come up big as Tech was forced to kick a field goal and take a 24-21 lead with just under six minutes left to play. Following a ten yard go ahead touchdown catch by wide receiver L Byrd the Canes defense came out trying to protect a four point lead. Seeing multiple defensive backs on the field coach Jmillhimes didnt hesitate to continue to pound the rock, using the OJ Simpson game plan, the Yellow Jackets were able to grind their way down the field and take the lead on Dwyers third touchdown of the game.
    Enter Jacory Harris and company looking to show everyone that they can finish games late. So with a minute left the sophmore lead his team methodically down the field making clutch throws and scrambling for first downs. Miami worked the ball into field goal range and a chance at the tie. Harris knew he had to play it safe and not turn the ball over, but as he scrambled out of the pocket late looking to throw the ball awayhe saw impact receiver Aldarius Johnson open near the sideline. Harris threw an absolute laser in there and Johnson got a foot in to put the ball first and goal at the 5. On the very next play Cooper answered the call again powering his way off left guard to score the win with fifteen seconds remaining.
    The Canes don't have time to celebrate as they prepare for games against Virginia Tech and Oklahoma.

5. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Nice game cole. I think if I did anything different, it would have been the 4th down play and I would have killed that clock alittle better. Until next year....

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Don't sprint backward, then sprint to the sideline, then roll forward, throw on the run into triple coverage and complete a pass. It looks retarded, and it makes the AI retarded.

Also, there was no blitz on this play. Stay in the pocket! That play smells like 5 year old cheddar.

This pitch is a little ridiculous. Actually, a lot ridiculous. Perhaps a bit too late.

Nice win Colemanchu! If those two plays happened to me and I lost, I would need to be far away from the computer afterwards, haha.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think what Basis is saying is that hitting the sprint button to drop back is seen as a no-no, as is sprinting to the sidelines to make a pass. Both are AI breaking moves. They happen, but need to be watched.

The pitch in the grasp is going to be a problem all year. The time between when you hold the button and when the pitch takes place makes it tough NOT to pitch in the grasp at least some of the time.

A game where these things happen is not necessarily an issue. But if they happen routinely, then we should adjust our play a bit. If we deal with a QB rollout on every third down, that's a problem. A pitch in the grasp more than once or twice a game is an issue as well.

BUt if these are single incidents, then I don't think there's much of a problem here, especially if the member is new to our style of play.

No biggie,

AG

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I was going to say the same thing when I saw those two highlights (and it's possibly why those 2 were chosen) but I didn't want to be the first to say anything. Obviously we don't know what happened during the game other than the highlights we saw, but I'm with Basis. I know that if my opponent had done that to me and I lost, I would've been awfully pissed off.

And on that pitch, if I happened to get off a pitch like that while wrapped up by a D-Lineman, I probably would've either made my RB dive or ran him out of bounds to be fair to my opponent.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Again, for a team that pitches a lot, we have to allow some pitches to be suspect. I've made these pitches a number of time while trying to pitch clean. The timing is tough.

And on the pass - I don't know how many times I have sprinted out expecting to run, caught a glimpse of an open man, and hit him, sometimes deep. It is only an issue when it becomes part of the game plan. When I sprint out expecting to pass, then I'm working the AI.

So, these plays are examples of what we don't like, but each would need to happen a number of times before we get really suspicious about it. They can happen as a result of completely sim play. They just can't happen a lot.

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Jmill played straight up, I chose those highlights because they were big plays on third down that set up touchdowns. The pass, I didn't even realize he sprinted but I'm sure he knew he had to get out of the pocket since I had been blitzing him heavily thinking run on every down. I was pissed that my guys let the ball fall in between them though. As for the pitch play, I think anybody is going to hit the pitch button there, plus there is always a delay it seems between when you push the button and when the qb actually pitches it.

11. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

As AG has said, bad pitches happen.

But if your QB runs to the sideline with normal pressure, and you're heaving bombs, I'm quitting on you there and then. There is NO PLACE for that in these games. It's cheating, it's been cheating for over a year now, and we all know it. I don't know why we still put up with it, but if it happens in my league, and the guy wins, that game is getting thrown out.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We need to keep in mind that while we have had this discussion many times, jmill hasn't been involved in those discussions. I don't think we have an issue at all, but could have one in the future if plays like this become normal.

It's not a big thing now at all, but it is worth mentioning.

13. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I say it's a non issue. Jmill played straight up and I would say that even if he had won.

14. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

I think the real crime here is the orange on orange uni's. God, I hope the U never sports those.

15. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

No dude, no harm no foul. I should have made a better call with the pitch

16. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

We will be wearing the Orange on Orange at every home opener.