Miami (OH) Storylines

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Korenth, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Miami (OH) Storylines

Until Dynasty wire actually lets me post me stories there...they're coming here.

Maiam (OH) new hire Hix raises questions, brings new attitude to players.

Miami, OH (AP) -- After firing first year Head Coach Mike Haywood after last years disappointing 1-11 season, everyone hoped that meant the school had found a coach with more experience, more recruiting connections, and an ability to bring a wining attitude back to the Redhawk program. Its easy to understand, then why most fans were confused to hear that the new head coach was even greener than their last.

Coach Hix, previously the WR coach and then Offensive Coordinator for the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders, may not have the experience or football pedigree most fans were hoping for, but if the fire and determination he showed at his introductory press conference can be turned into on field results, that wining attitude may be on its way back. After spending a few moments answering all the normal questions asked a new head coach, Hix had the following to say when a group of fans questioned his competency to lead a program at such a young stage in his career.

"So you want to now how a coach as green as the grass outside could possibly benefit your beloved program. Well, first, let me say this. This team is not your beloved program. I do my research...I know that this team doesn't have the same support that it once did...not like the hockey and basketball programs. That's fine. I aim to change that. i know that for a program to be supported, it must first win, not the other way around.

I'm from the south. In the south, football is King. If they weren't worried about seeming effeminate, football would also be queen, prince, jester, and just about any other royal title you can think of. That is what I plan to bring to you. A drive, a focus, a desire to win so deep that you will see player's rise up, and knock down teams the talking heads in the media and even the fans don't give them a chance against. Every player on my team while give heart and soul to the betterment of their team. They will own it. They will raise it. And they will leave it in a better place for those who come behind them. We may not win every game...we may not even win most of our games...but every opponent walking off that field will know exactly what we're able to do, and with the knowledge that even if they leave that day on top...its only a matter of time before we exact our vengence and take our place as victors in the football world."

Some may say its simply words, but those attending practice have felt the renewed sense of energy Coach Hix has instilled in the players. He has opened every spot to competition, no single player's starting job is safe.

Week 1 for the Redhawks is a bye week, but Coach Hix has already been having his players prep for the game vs. Eastern Michigan in Week 2. Sophomore Zac Dysert had this to say. "Coach Hix is drilling us hard...I havn't had practices like this in a long time. But I can tell we're sharper, more focused. We're ready to see what we can do this year. We're going to prove last year was a fluke and that we’re ready to compete day in and day out with any team. E.M. better be ready"

Experience, Prestige, and Desire. one out of three doesn't sound that good...but maybe that’s all that will be needed to win.

2. shibdib

shibdib In Nacho We Trust

I'll be waiting for the eastern michigan postgame report, gotta play them at some point down the road.

3. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

To begin with..my apologies to ryalaman...my new cats decided the powerstip was a good play toy...a box is going over the power swich tommorow.

That said, he had the game well in hand before that happened. His HB is scary fast for the type teas we're playing...makes those outside runs look easy. My offense couldn't hang on to the ball all game. Lost three fmbles and muffed a punt. A failed 4th down try and the 40ish when down by 10 really put me behind the 8-ball.

Great game by Eastern Michigan...my losing streak agaisnt user players continues from last year..2-12 and counting.

4. shibdib

shibdib In Nacho We Trust

Brutal, speedy backs r killer against teams with poor tacklers (all of us).

5. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Miami, OH (AP) -- In a game that was much more lopsided that the score would suggest, the redhawks found the Offensive Balance that seemed to have elluded them in the game against Eastern Michigan. With 215 yard through the air and 185 on the ground, both parts of the offense seemed to be moving the ball well...at least when they could hold onto it. @ fumbles and two near catches turned INTs had coach Hix livid int he locker room, despite a winning score. "The next player who drops a ball is doing sprint up and down every set of steps in this stadium" Hix could be heard telling his offense post game. "Turnovers cost us last week...and could have cost us the game this week if the D didn't step up and save your tails by getting 5 turnovers of their own."

At the Press conference, Hix was more subdued. "We had a good game...ball control contiues to be an issue..but when we keep the ball, the Passing attack is holding near a 60% completition rate, and the running game is picking up an impressive 5+ yards per carry. (HB Thomas) Marriweather did a great job late in the game, helping eat up clock on route to a 170 yards rushing.. nd OLB Gilmore steped up big on D, forcing 2 fumbles and getting multiple tackles. Still room for improvement, but we're heading tin the right direction.

Next Week, the ReHawks take on 3-0 Missouri from the the Big 10

6. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Columbia, MO -- The Redhawks pull a shocker and upend the previously undefeated Tigers at home. Even losing losing their star HB Merriweather for 3 weeks and the QB suffering from Elbow Burstis couldn't keep the Redhawks from Scoring 27 points. QB Zac Dysert really put on a performance, counting for 2 passing tochdowns, and a rushing touchdown on 4th and Goal from the 1. Despite not beig know as a particuarly agile QB, he ran for 52 yards or 8 carries, keeping several drives alive on 3rd down scarmbles for big yards and the first down.

Coach had this to say, "It wasn't our pretties game...no rushing attack to speak of, and having to rely on some very big plays to pull us out of long 3rd downs...but the team did a good job putting up with the no huddle and then controling the clock when we had the ball. I'm glad we got the win.we'll use this experience to help repare for next weeks game vs. Kent Satate"

Pictures and Video on the dynasty.

7. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I play you next week? Guess that game will show some of my recruits that they don't really want to go to Miami.

8. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Maybe...or my HB could decide that fumbling is a good idea again and give the game away like he did in week 2 :)

9. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Everyone wants to go to Miami, just not that Miami. GO PANTHERS!!!!

10. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Shhhhhh..I'm hoping that my football players are really smart and also really bad a geography...they don't need to know theres more than one Miami!

11. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Central Michigan falls hard to Miami OH.

Is their best played game under rookie Head Coach Hix, the Redhawks dominated the Central Michigan 20-6. The stats weren't flashy and teh ground game suffered as Meriwether continues to accumulate injury after injury, but a few key plays by QB Zac Dysert and a INT returned for a TD by SS Justin bower enabled Miami to keep control of the ball for nearly 2/3 of the game and out of the hands of Central Michigan’s no huddle Offense.

"I'm really proud of the way the D steped up today. holding any team to FGs is a good way to start earning Ws" Coach Hix said at the post game press conference. " We need to work with the O-Line to get more consistent rushing...but we're coming along. Passing game is spreading the ball around nicely so no one can focus on any one receiver. Zac is doing a great job of finding the open targets."

Miami Ohio improves to 4-2 on the year and 1-2 in the division.

12. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Miami (OH) bulldoze the Bulls 45-7, become bowl eligible.

Buffalo, NY (AP) -- Early in the week, Coach Hix said that everyone would be in for a supprise with the game versus Buffalo came around. The Redhawks unveiled their new, pro-style, offense and looked like an NFL caliber team. The running game that had been lacking until Merriweather returned to the lin up exploded with the new blocking scheme with Merriweather racking up 144 yards on 15 carries in just over 2 quarters of play before being replaced by 2nd string HB Danny Green, who ran out the cock with 11 carries and 75 yards of his own. To top it off, the O-line also surrendered only 1 sack and helped give QB Zac Dysert the time needed to go 14-17 for 3TD. The Defense looked as strong as ever giving up no points while on the field. Buffalo’s lone TD came from a tipped ball turned interception at Redhawk 20 yard line.

Said Coach Hix “ We tried the Pistol Offense because it was more in-line with the single back offense that they were runing before I was hired. I hadn’t planed on using this until next year…but the boys picked it up very well in practice and proved to me they were ready. Then they come out here and do this…it’s a great moment for a coach when the whole team steps up like it did. Even the second string saw significant action, coming in around the 4:00 mark of the 3rd and they picked up right where the first stringers left off, running the ball hard, and pushing the ball down field.

Merriweather really seemed to shine today, enjoying being pain free for the first time in weeks. A week from now when hes back in peak condition, the 54 yard run he broke will be 60 yard touchdowns. We’ll still keep an eye on his number of carries, particularly in practice, and make sure the back spasm don’t flare back up again, but at least for toay, he put on a show.â€

With the win, Miami (OH) moves to 6-2 on the season and 3-2 in conference play, becoming bowl eligible just one year after their disastrous 1-11 season. In recruiting, 3 star prospects OLD Corey Ashley, T Ray McGrew and C Ed Harper all committed to playing with the Redhawks next year, and potentially competing for starting jobs.