Miami Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Miami Presser

[​IMG]
    will the glory days return????

Coach how is life in Coral Gables?

What style of offense and defense you unleash on the ACC?

How is recruiting shaping up?

What returning player(s) is stepping up and leading the team in workouts?

2. jca312

jca312 Walk On

[​IMG]
    will the glory days return????

Coach how is life in Coral Gables?
    I gotta say it's nice living near South Beach! It's a lot easier selling kids on living here for 4 years than Norman. No offense to the wonderful people that live there, but there are no beaches there and the weather here is a little nicer.

What style of offense and defense you unleash on the ACC?
    We're definitely going to continue to run a 4-3 on defense and a balanced mix of I-formation, Ace, and Shotgun. A lot of people think we are a more pass-oriented offense, but if you look back, we've had 1,000+ yard rushers every year, people just don't notice because we're in shotgun so much.

How is recruiting shaping up?
    So far so good in recruiting. Coach Shannon and his staff had a solid foundation for a good class. We're trying to fill in some holes and add depth. We'll have a better grasp on how the class will be after this week hopefully. We feel we are very close to getting some commitments on several recruits.

What returning player(s) is stepping up and leading the team in workouts?
    Lamar Miller is the unquestioned leader of the team. All of the people around the program that have been here through the peaks and valleys of the program have told me he reminds them of Frank Gore who battled back from serious injuries to be one of the best running backs in the nation. Lamar has been amazing in the weight room and watching him run, you'd never know he was hurt all season. We feel very fortunate that he is coming back for his senior year. He will play a huge role for us next year.

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

that's what i'm talking about, look forward to battling you in the near future.

4. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I may need a few years to be able to compete with you, but we'll do our best.

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

What was it like taking on the team you spent the last four years with?

Some grumblins around Norman are that you ran it up on them, your take?

Focusing back on the ACC is Miami ready to win the Coastal?

Any early recruiting news?

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

What was it like taking on the team you spent the last four years with?

It was definitely weird playing against the team we built. They gave us a run for our money, but we were able to pull it out. It's difficult playing against kids you recruited and coached because we were a family. Very emotionally draining, but it was good to visit Norman and see everyone again.

Some grumblins around Norman are that you ran it up on them, your take?

I don't see how anyone could say we ran it up, they scored and got their 2-point conversion with 2:58 to go to make it a 16-point game. Had they stopped us and scored again, we're on the road at a Top 10 school, with all the momentum on their side. I didn't feel like we had the game in hand until Lamar scored that touchdown, even then, I still felt we needed that last stop. We're very young and still learning eachother, our defense has given up 53 points in the last 2 games, so I never feel like we have enough points.

Focusing back on the ACC is Miami ready to win the Coastal?

We're off to a good start with that win over Virginia, I think we were maybe a little bit overconfident going in. Hopefully we learned that you can never underestimate conference opponents. There are never any easy games in conference and if you don't prepare hard all week and come to play, you can lose to anyone. We've got tough games against Florida State and Georgia Tech coming up, after that, we'll really see who we are and reassess our season goals. But, we can't be any better than 3-0 and 1-0 in conference, so I'm happy about that. I'm a defensive coach and I tend to ficus on that, right now, we're just not good enough on that side of the ball and the offense won't always be able to bail us out.

Any early recruiting news?

We are happy with our progress in recruiting so far, we didn't get much interest from the top recruits, but we think we are bringing in the right guys for us. We've already signed 2 kids, both are rated in the Top 20 at their positions. Last week we signed Richard Davis, he's a :3stars: defensive tackle, rated 19th at his position, runs a 5.20 40, benches 438 pounds, and squats 645 pounds. This week we got a commitment from Greg Osborne, he's a great cover corner who ran a 4.36, he benches 253 pounds, and squats 260 pounds. Osborne is a :4stars: recruit and is rated the #16 cornerback of this class.

We had 12 recruits in this weekend for our home opener and I think they liked what they saw. I saw that atmosphere that was here in the 80's and early 90's when this was one of THE programs in the nation. We hope to become that powerhouse again and stay there for years to come.

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

You are taking South Beach and Coral Gables by storm. What's going right for the Hurricanes?

Big win over FSU despite their record. You needed to keep momentum. Tell us about that game?

Huge game vs Georgia Tech coming up. What are you seeing from the Yellow Jackets?

8. jca312

jca312 Walk On

You are taking South Beach and Coral Gables by storm. What's going right for the Hurricanes?

We're doing alright. We're scoring points and running the ball well. Without Lamar Miller, we'd be in big trouble. Our rush defense has also been huge for us, but we still need to do better against the pass. Ideally, we wouldn't need to score 34 points a game to win, but that's where we're at right now, so we'll just try to keep it going. Hopefully, our secondary will pick it up a little bit and we'll start winning these games a little more comfortably.

Big win over FSU despite their record. You needed to keep momentum. Tell us about that game?

Anytime you play a rivalry game, you know you're in for a battle. Florida State, no matter what their record is, is never easy to play against, especially at Doak. We were fortunate to force a few turnovers, we once again leaned heavily on Lamar, who had a huge game for us, and we did just enough in the passing game to keep them honest. They gave us all we could handle and I was proud of how our guys stayed focused and battled until the end. That was a big hurdle for us and now we have another one coming up here.

Huge game vs Georgia Tech coming up. What are you seeing from the Yellow Jackets?

We're definitely gonna have to be ready to stop that running game. That looks to be an intriguing matchup, the #10 rushing offense in the nation against the #1 rushing defense. Something's gotta give. We can't be too focused on the running game though, that big receiver can hurt us if we're not careful. It's a very even matchup. I'm glad we get to play this one at home. This is gonna go a long way to determining the Coastal Division Champion. We'll see how it goes.