Michigan @ ND - quick recap

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, Oct 2, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Michigan @ ND - quick recap

I think Jello and I were both too exhausted to post after our game last night. For the 3rd user game in a row for me, it went to the wire. ND won 41-34 on a TD with 45 seconds left. I opted to go for it on 4th and 1 from inside the 10 with 1:45 left, knowing that neither of our offenses had really been stopped all game. That allowed me to burn a little clock and the last of Jello's timeouts. Jello still managed to get inside my 40 before time ran out. Great game Jello.

No punts for either team. The only non-scoring drives of the game happened when I stopped Jello's fake punt attempt just a couple yards short of the 1st down, and when he put a big hit on Rudolph that caused a fumble inside the Michigan 20 (I need to stop trying to truck everyone with Kyle R and just cover the damn ball). Oh and Jello, I checked the replay after the game and the ball was definitely out before he hit the ground.

My RB controversy was solved early when Jonas Gray took a handoff on the first play of the game 70+ yards for a TD, and then took the next handoff 60+ yards to inside the 5. I had a 2 td lead at halftime, but Jello got the ball first in the 2nd half and scored and then forced that fumble and scored to tie it up.

Forcier was unstoppable. It felt like every time he got tackled he fell forward for 3 more yards. I thought I was playing Dwyer again. And he was dead-on with the passing game. Clausen was as well. Jello's offense is fun to watch. I'm guessing it's the Florida playbook, there are some crazy formation things going on. He nailed me with the Tebow fake-run-step-back pass. The FS I was controlling totally bit and left the middle open for an easy TD.

Oh and Jello, something interesting I noticed. On my last drive, on the 4 downs that ended with the 4th & 1, you stuffed my run on 1st and 2nd down, leading to the 3rd & 14. However, that 2nd down run was THIS close to being a TD. The pulling guard just barely missed the DE while the rest of the line on that side and even the WRs pretty much pancaked everyone else. At the time I was very worried that I'd be kicking a FG and giving you the ball with over 2 mins left, but that play by the DE probably ended up being the best thing that could have happened for me.

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

It was an incredible game. Having you take your first snap and cruise for a 70+ yard TD run really, really pissed me off. I said to myself "well, here we go again..." Especially when you took the next one 60+ yards inside the 10 (luckily I made the tackle and held you to a FG). I came into the game with 3 keys, but unfortunately I could only deliver on 1 of them. They were this in order:
    1. No freakin' turnovers! I turned it over 4 times last game.
    2. Stop the run! Allen just repeatedly gashed my 3-3-5 last year.
    3. Stop Rudolph. I know how much you like to throw to him and I know how good the ND playbook is for TEs (I use it in my UNC dynasty)
    Luckily I succeeded on #1, but couldn't do #2 or 3. The really, really frustrating thing was that my plan to stop Rudolph was to double team him a lot and that's what I did, but it didn't matter. He was unstoppable. I think 4 of his 9 catches were when I had double coverage on him and he still caught it.

Those 2 huge runs sucked ass. I need to find some way to stop the run and I don't understand why I can't. With all of my teams I'm in the top 5 in the country in rushing defense against the CPU, but here, against you twice and AG I've given up 196, 212, and 155 yards. The next most I've ever given up in this dynasty was 65 yards against PSU.

Forcier played his best game ever for me. He had a career high for both rushing yards and passing yards as well as completions and completion % in that game. But, with him being by far my best option @ QB, I'm not sure how many times I can give him 20+ carries and keep his ass healthy! Overall I was pleased with my offense except for my outside runs. I couldn't get anything going out there and you just ate up my wildcat. The most yards I got out of that all game was when my RB threw the ball instead of running it!

It was definitely crazy how there were 0 punts in the entire game. I was tempted to let you just score a TD on your final drive when you got into the redzone just so I'd have enough time left, and maybe I should have. Hopefully Forcier will progress more than 2 points this year. Hopefully Rudolph will leave early this year and then maybe I'll have a shot in Ann Arbor next year.

Great game Dat!

3. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

You actually did a pretty good job of stopping the run after those first two.

I checked out some of the replays and while you had Rudolph doubled on a few of his catches, it looked like the guy doubling him came from the opposite side of the field and so he was 5 yards behind the play. If you would have caught me in a crossing route with Rudolph when you doubled, that might have been trouble for me. But last night I was typically throwing to someone else when Rudolph crossed the middle. The combo of Clausen and Rudolph is tough to stop though. Clausen is so accurate and Rudolph is big and fast. Once Rudolph has someone on his back, they're typically not getting around him to make a play on the ball. And I'm not afraid to throw into tight windows with Clausen.

I'm worried about next year though. I'll lose Clausen and Tate, most likely Floyd (who just turned into a 99 OVR this week), and probably Rudolph. I'd be thrilled to keep just one of Floyd and Rudolph. I'm never going to have better players in the passing game than I do right now. Just remembered Floyd bailed me out of a 2nd & 18 by catching a deep ball over Cissoko. I should probably go to him on the deep sidelines more often. But playing you in AA early next year could be a huge challenge while I try to figure out who I can throw to.

I was doing pretty well against your outside runs, but you were getting me up the middle. That handoff that went for a 50 yard TD in the 2nd half looked just like Minor gashing ND up the middle this year.

I also looked like ND's defense this year by not being able to get off the field on 3rd down. That was the one stat for us that wasn't identical. I think I was 5-8 or something like that and you were like 12-14.

This is how I imagine our games looking each year (with maybe a bit more defense) and why I love having a good player on Michigan.

4. jello1717

I think this was an artifact of the 3-4 defense. Your speedy OLBs being way outside like that have a head start on my outside runs while you 3 DL have a lot of beef from my OL that they need to account for on inside runs.

We were actually almost identical here. I was 11/14 while you were 5/7. Add in my 0/1 on 4th and your 1/1 and the % actually tilts towards you.

It's way too early to be thinking about next year, but I'm pretty excited. My team is still really young and will just be getting better and better. (I only start 6 SRs, although both OLBs are SRs)

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I guess I meant the number of chances I had to make you punt / kick a FG and didn't. I had 14 shots and was only successful 3 times. Anyone who's watched ND's games this year knows how infuriating this has been.

Although several of your 3rd downs were probably under 4 yards, which makes sense given your offensive style. Of my 7, I'm pretty sure at least 3-4 of them were 8+ yards. I probably wasn't any worse on 3rd down D than you were when you think about it like that. But my God it's frustrating to pretty much know the Forcier run is coming and not be able to get there, or get there and get plowed over for 2 extra yards.

Something else I just remembered was how many near-sacks there were. I had several passes that came just before Clausen got nailed by a DE or OLB. And I remember 2 3rd downs where I was blitzing a LB and just got there a split second late. You also nearly picked a ball after hitting Clausen during a throw. And I thought I had a shot to pick that long ball with my OLB who was singled up on your WR (I think it was Stokes). We both went for the user catch, but you had me by a step.

I wish EA would save a full replay of the game somehow. This one would be fun to go back and watch.

6. jello1717

Of course my 14 3rd down attempts compared to your 7 3rd down attempts just means that I couldn't stop you on 1st and 2nd down. That 2nd and 18 conversion really pissed me off! I said to myself, "self, if you can't make him punt from 2nd and 18, you're never going to." 1 play later; First Down!

The lack of sacks was another thing that irked me. I led the Big 10 in sacks last year and I usually get a lot of pressure on the QB. Your O-line was just strong enough to hold my guys back long enough for Clausen to get off the pass. If I could've just gotten to Clausen a couple of times it might've made a big difference.

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Sounds like an awesome game...And Dat, I agree, it would be AWESOME to be able to save a whole game and upload it so we could all watch it.

8. jello1717

Wow!

Forcier went from this:
    Passing
    Column 1
    Player QB Rating COMP ATT YARDS TD INT COMP % YDS/COMP SACKED LONG
    Tate Forcier 206.5 18 22 248 2 0 81.8 13.8 2 29

Rushing
    Column 1
    Player ATT YDS AVG TD LONG After 1st Hit 20+ Brkn Tkl FUMB
    Tate Forcier 21 91 4.3 0 20 27 1 1 0