Michigan Spring Game

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Dj391, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Michigan Spring Game

So I just got done watching the spring game and here's the things i came away most impressed with.

#1: Denard Robinson- Wow he showed so much improvement this game passing the ball. Last year every pass he dropped back to make i kinda wanted to cover my eyes and hope for the best lol. But this game he showed accuracy and poise in the pocket to my surprise. He made smart good throws on the day, the best was to Roy Roundtree for a 97 yard TD strike. He showed great arm strength on that pass that was the most impressive throw perhaps on the day. And of course he showed that lightning speed, if it was real game most of the time he would have gone for 20 yards instead of just barely being touched and called down. He might just be the starter after today I DONT KNOWWWW!!!

#2: Devin Gardner- At first he showed jitters, looking nervous in the pocket but as the day progressed he calmed down and made some great throws. One of which he placed perfectly over the LB in zone coverage and in front of the safety who was fast approaching for the pick, into his TE's hands. His running reminded me so much of pryor how he doesnt look too fast because hes so lanky and smooth with his running motions but he will burn you.

#3: Tate Forcier: Id have to say of all the QB performaces he showed the least of them all. I don't know if its because of his foot injury or just because he was having an off day. I mean of course he made some good throws but coming off last season when he started every game pretty much you expect more from him I guess. But he was pretty solid all day running good at times, making good passes. He still showed the tendency to try and force it in but he also showed improved touch on his passes.

Overall I know its early but I think the team looked good out their. But I dont know about the pass defense which hurt us all year last year. The run D looked stout as no RB was able to bust a big run all day. The RB's are young and nobody jumped out to me at all. Toussaint showed some good things early but kinda faded away after while. A unknown kid Hoppkins apparently had 5000 yards rushing in 3 years and over 60 touchdowns or so had a decent day. Hes more of a power back like minor so I expect him to be used in short yard situations. The Wr's looked great along with the QBs Odom showed improvement, didnt see any passes to stonum no idea why. Roundtree showed why hes regarded as the next big WR at michigan scoring on that 97 yard TD and scoring 2 times after that.

IM EXCITED FOR THIS FALL, I think we will surprise some people this year I give us 9 wins no doubt this year...

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

The problem with our offense doing well IMO is that our defense wasn't tested. What I mean is that our defense was pushed around waaayyyy to much last year. Our defense is designed to play against the spread (quick defensive players, no rotation in hopes of getting the offense off the field quick) but we still didn't look sharp. Pass defense was damn near our biggest problem on D last year, so the last thing I wanted to see was a 97 yard touchdown pass. But I'm sure glad Cissoko(sp?) is gone because that kid never turned to look for the DAMN Ball, lol

We're going undefeated this year. Sorry dude I'm never ever ever going to say we're going to lose a game. It's just not part of my DNA...

3. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Haha i feel ya on that dude i wanted to say it so bad but i was being realistic since our secondary is looking so shakey ever since the departure of woodson. I think when demar dorsey gets to practice and our secondary is full strength that will be the tell all sign to just how good we can be.

4. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah the defense is what I'm focused on right now. I'm a defensive minded (Ol' School Big Ten minded!!) person. If we can't stop anybody, then we may have a tough road once again. I really wish this was RichRod's make or break year. I want to win now, I hate this "rebuilding" ish. The only thing we should ever have to do is reload. I'm bout to hop on rivals right now to look further into these recruits.

Where do you go online for your Michigan info? I'm no longer in the states therefore have lost my Big 10 network :(. I normally go to Mgoblue but hate navigating that site, lol. On a side note the gymnastics team has one its' fourth national title:)

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I knew someone was going to come in here with buckeye stuff...

7. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

UM has a lot of work to do before it is at the top of the Big Ten again. Iowa, PSU, OSU not to mention Wisc. I think they have atleast 2 more years of work head of them

8. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

I usually go to Rivals for all the recruit info, and basic yahoo for stats, but i watch every game every saturday no matter what. Im excited to see what Demar Dorsey can do he was 4 star on rivals but 5 star on espn. so atleast the secondarys improving. Were so use to just reloading and not rebuilding from ground up thats all, i believe this year will be a huge improvement though hopefully. I have faith in Rich Rod but its starting to wear thin lol I WANT WINSSSS!!

2 years? DREAM ON lol, psu wont be that tough this year their reloading, Iowa beat us in the last minute of the game thanx to an inexperienced team, who now has 1 year under their belt and will probably be much better with turnovers and such, Osu?? If we contain pryor and our secondary plays well, we got them this year too, trust me michigan will be top 3 big 10 this year.

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I figure law of averages have to take effect somehow...but how many games in a row does tOSU have to beat UM before you guys are a bit humbled?

10. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

not humbled til they get series lead which wont happen....longest streak is held by michigan in case you aint know

11. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

The phuckguys' have to beat us 14 more times (in a row). Then they'll have to beat us 87-0 (we beat them 86-0) before I'm "humbled"

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Overall
    Ohio State - 43 (40.6%)
    Michigan - 57 (53.8%)
    Ties - 6 (5.6%)

Before 1950
    Ohio State - 12 (26.1%)
    Michigan - 30 (65.2%)
    Ties - 4 (8.7%)

Since 1950
    Ohio State - 31 (51.7%)
    Michigan - 27 (45.0%)
    Ties - 2 (3.3%)

So, since 1950 (which is STILL well before your time) tOSU is ahead. The 86-0 UM win was in 1902!!

You guys go ahead and cling to grandpa's memories if you want.:)

13. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Hahahaha

1950!!

14. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

The Buckeyes don't lose to Michigan anymore in case you haven't heard.

Count yourself lucky if they go 6-6 and get a bowl game, but they got a 40 point de-maning coming their way this fall.

The Buckeyes run this conference, how can there be any argument about this?

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Well since you guys wanna take years off, in my lifetime (I'm 25) we still own the series lead 13-10. So GTFOH with all those percentages that are probably before YOU as well. Don't bend the f****** stats into your favor.

Now we can make a "Michigan/Ohio State" thread if y'all want because I really (don't know the OP original idea) wanted to just talk Michigan football without having to argue with rivals of our school.

16. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

Yeah, join the 21st century any day now. Even the 20th will do. Since the modern football era, OSU leads the series (albeit by a slim margin).

LOL at Michigan holding up wins from the 1800's. In that case, Yale is the greatest football team of all time.

17. Merih

I think the quarterback play in their spring game was good, and Denard certainly gives them another component from the offensive backfield.

Here's the thing though, QB play wasn't really the problem last year. It was poor reads from the linebacking core and sloppy tackling in the secondary. From what I saw, the linebacking play is better (against the run anyway) and the secondary still looks suspect. I don't know if they have the depth necessary to have a top 2-3 finish in the Big Ten, but I definately see them in a bowl this year. I'm thinking 7 or 8 wins. Losses to OSU, Wisconsin, PSU, and one game along the way that they probably should have won.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    My friend I was replying to a quote FROM the OP...which I am allowed to do.:) If you don't want input from a cross section of TF go post on a Michigan board.

19. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    If you can't argue a point honorably and admirably then don't post. I'm surprised to see some of the shit in this thread on TF.

Historical stats and records are horseshit. All time records, who beat who by how much, blah blah blah, etc. It's all a moot point.

The only thing that matters is this year. The only thing 'humbling' about rivalries is when your rival comes into your own house and beats the crap out of you. That's when the lesser of the fan bases start talking about overall records, statistics and total Heisman winners.

It's okay to be excited about your team, but don't take the credit away from someone else when they beat you.

20. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

I have no problem with this debate/discussion as long as its done right.

If tou think OSU is hanging 40 on us this fall your dreaming.

The qb play was a problem because they were not in sync at times because of the inexperience. Look dont be too shocked when OSU goes down in flames this year because outside of pryor i dont see the eun game being a factor in this game. And i think the secondary is improved in tackling enough to not give up so many big plays. Demar Dorsey just remember that name come this fall. Van Bergen and Roh will keep the pressure on pryor and the linebackers will contain the run abd make the smart reads when im coverage.

Im no corso/herbstreit but im pullin my upset card here

21. Merih

How do you see OSU's running game not being good? They rushed for over 200 yards each of the last 4 games in the regular season, and return every single running back and only lost one o-lineman.

Please explain?

22. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

I dont see them doing much against michigan, the front four is beasty will campbell, craig roh, ryan van bergan, obi ezeh (lb) come on their run D is going to be stingy this year. The D will impress a lot of people this year I think

23. Merih

UM's d-line will be good, but they are going to sorely miss B. Graham. Kid was a beast and made plays and always drew double teams.

Make no mistake, the key for Michigan will be if Ezeh and Mouton finally play well (they were terrible last year), and if the young blood in the secondary can limit mistakes and big plays. Tackling has been a sore thumb for UM since RR has been there. They tackle well in spring and in the first few games of the season, but once they start getting knicked and dinged, they start trying to arm tackle alot, and are always out of position.

After the past few seasons, I guess I'm in the camp of I need to see it before I can believe it. And defensively, the spring game didn't really give me much indication of how improved the defense is.

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Can Moundros play LB in a real game? That's another question I have after the spring game. It'll be a good thing if he's good in PC or stuffing the run so he can be used in certain situations.

And also on alot of the MICHIGAN forums, most of us fans have Robinson on top of the depth chart after spring practices. I hope Forcier was just in a slump. Even though I wouldn't mind Shoelaces running the O if his accuracy gets better.

@Merith- None of your running backs place fear in my heart either. That big offensive line vs. our small (but hopefully faster) defensive line is the only thing that worries me in that game. Only time will tell.

25. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

You are totally right the D has to step up and show improvement. The young DB's are going to be tested often as many teams will spot that as a weakness. But i do think they will surprise many and show improvement in tackling. Ezeh and Mouton came into last year a bit over hyped in my opinion being in the 2nd year of that defense. But its been 3 years now and if they dont get it this year were pretty much screwed. B. Graham will be missed just as Woodson has been for years around here lmao