Michigan State Spartans Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ken10, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ken10

ken10 Walk On

Michigan State Spartans Game Summaries

Note: I will post my game summaries from now on. Bkhog, can you please delete my other thread?

WEEK 1

LSU - 17

@

Michigan State - 20

Recap

MICHIGAN STATE -- The Spartans played solid defensive and provided just enough offense to earn a tight win over LSU. Quarterback Kirk Cousins looked rusty throughout the whole game, but hooked up with WR Keith Nichol for a long-distance TD in the first quarter to draw first blood. Cousins finished 8-18 for 105 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. He was sacked three times, but scored a TD with a quarterback sneak play in the fourth quarter.

"I was disappointed in the way I came out today," Cousins said. "But my team played great."

The second quarter saw both teams exchange field goals without much action. In the third quarter, LSU LB Stefoin Francois recovered a fumble after Cousins was sacked and returned it 73 yards for a touchdown. It was not enough for the Tigers, however, as Spartans RB Larry Caper showed off his explosiveness, carrying the ball 14 times and accumulating 138 yards. With the score tied 17-17 with less than two minutes in the fourth quarter, the Tigers had a chance to take the lead but failed to capitalize.

After punting the ball, Spartans WR BJ Cunningham returned it for 40 yards in perhaps the biggest play of the game. Cunningham set up Michigan State right inside FG range where K Dan Conroy nailed the winning FG. This was just what the Spartans needed to start off their season. It was a great win in dramatic fashion.

When asked how this year's squad was different from previous Michigan State football teams, Spartans MLB Greg Jones answered, "We're just better. Simple as that."

Game Notes

All-American linebacker Greg Jones led the team with four tackles. Safety Marcus Hyde added three tackles and one interception.