Mid-Season Defensive Rankings

Discussion in 'Second to None' started by LTL7360, Oct 5, 2012.

1. LTL7360

LTL7360 Play hard for the name on your chest: Texas A&M

Ok, I used Helli's defensive rankings to see where we are at.

Heres a link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiWbHkVq4Bm2dHhkaE9PRVVqTTFLYjdGTDZqYW0xLWc

The results:

1) Notre Dame
    Suppression of Yards: 2nd
    Suppression of Points: 2nd
    Explosive Plays: 1st
    Red Zone Defense: 3rd

Whats carrying the Irish is the abiity to get to the QB. With an incredible 66 sacks, the irish are not letting the deep routes develop and having the QB's force the ball in the tight pockets, which has resulted in 17 INT's. This Defensive Pass rush is beyond fierce, its just Nasty.

2) Georgia
    Suppression of Yards: 4th
    Suppression of Points: 4th
    Explosive Plays: 2nd
    Red Zone Defense: 4th

The georgia secondary is the key to this defense. Through 5 games, they have allowed less than 900 yards of passing offense and 19 INT's. Thats not a typo. 19 INT's! Thats nearly 4 a game. With 33 sacks a game, the defense pass rush is forcing qb's to make bad decisions or pay for it with a big hit.

3) LSU
    Suppression of Yards: 7th
    Suppression of Points: 5th
    Explosive Plays: 3rd
    Red Zone Defense: 1st

LSU simply wont let you in the endzone when you are inside the 20. Teams are averaging 3.25 points per red zone attempt. If you dont get a big play midfield, you better have the kicker warmed up and with 12 fumble recoveries in 6 games, you better hold onto the ball.

4) Florida State:
    Suppression of Yards: 3rd Wi
    Suppression of Points: 1st
    Explosive Plays: 5th
    Red Zone Defense: 7th

FSU not only has an explosive offense but a terrifying defense. They dont give away yards and are even stingier in points allowed. If teams have success getting in the red zone, the seminoles have allowed 5 TD's in 8 tries. Gradually moving the ball may be the key vs the noles and keeping the offense off the field.

5) Miami
    Suppression of Yards: 1st
    Suppression of Points: 3rd
    Explosive Plays: 7th
    Red Zone Defense: 10th

Heres a stat that may interest you. The team with the fewest amount of yards allowed isnt in the top 25 or the top defense in S2N. Its Da U. With allowing only a shade under 200 yards a game the canes' are the surprise in the top 5. But with 0 fumbles, they are not considered as an elite defense yet.

Surprising 3-way tie for 6th

T6) Boston College
    Suppression of Yards: 8th
    Suppression of Points: 10th
    Explosive Plays: 6th
    Red Zone Defense: 2nd

An even Bigger surprise than Miami is the BC eagles. While they give up 30.7 points a game, they earn their keep in the red zone only allowing a TD 50% of the time in the RZ. Big plays seem to hold this team from being a defensive juggernaught, for now at least

T6) Mississippi State
    Suppression of Yards: 5th
    Suppression of Points: 6th
    Explosive Plays: 9th
    Red Zone Defense: 8th

This Defense is simple. Dont allow the offense to get a fresh set of downs. They are not super flashy. While ranking 9th in sacks and few turnovers, this Defense is a traditional SEC D.

T6) South Carolina
    Suppression of Yards: 6th
    Suppression of Points: 7th
    Explosive Plays: 8th
    Red Zone Defense: 5th

The gamecocks are identical in defense to Miss State, except SC is a run stopping D. They rank as the #2 rushing D in S2N. The gamecocks have played quality teams so they have allowed quite a bit of passing yards for only 5 games played. But this team can make you one-demential on 3rd down. Thats their strength.

9) Illinois
    Suppression of Yards: 9th
    Suppression of Points: 8th
    Explosive Plays: 4th
    Red Zone Defense: 6th

Who is second in sacks behind ND? Illinois? yep. Thaey either get to the QB...or they dont. While they allow the 8th most points, this is a skewed stat. The offense scores so often that the Defense has no time to rest and gets gashed (especially in the air). The Illinois secondary is extremely vulnerable which may be a weak spot if they see the gophers in the Big 10 Championship game.

10) Minnesota
    Suppression of Yards: 11th
    Suppression of Points: 9th
    Explosive Plays: 10th
    Red Zone Defense: 9th

It was a battle between the two new teams to not be last, and the top 10 gophers get the nod. They are tied for 4th in INT's but are 10th in fumbles. Just like illinois, the numbers are misleading. The offense is the key to this team. Teams will score and score often versus the gophers, but the key that Coach Lewis wants to ask teams is: Can you keep up? Sadly with this Defense...you wont have much problems keeping up

11) Virginia Tech
    Suppression of Yards: 10th
    Suppression of Points: 11th
    Explosive Plays: 11th
    Red Zone Defense: 11th

Its been a tough year for the Hokies. They ran into the gophers high powered offense and it hasnt gotten much better. If their is an upside for this team is that they get to the QB being 5th in sacks. After a few years, the hokies will get back the D they are known for.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. LTL7360

excuse the typos. Im on the porch and there is a glare

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Very nicely done!

4. KnightNoles

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

66 sacks midseason? Our leader has 51 through 10 games...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. KnightNoles

Nautica you've gotz some exsplannin to dooo..

7. LTL7360

The 1-5-5 strikes again! haha

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  8. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

sounds great..i didnt think my defense was that good at all lol LTL7360 great job this is really awesome

9. LTL7360

Thanks but I didnt do anything really. Its all hellisan's formula. I just used my english classes to BS some articulation about stats haha.

BTW, If you feel any of these team summary's are wrong, feel free to point them out and write your own. I was just going off the stats, not game logs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KnightNoles

You have a very good defense, they are just out on the field too much.

11. KnightNoles

Perfect, this is statistical analysis!

12. LTL7360

Ya, Iv avoided those classes. Im a History and English Major so my analysis is a bit lacking that doesnt include social criticism or traditional biased-ness lol

13. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

u really think so knight? then i guess my offense needs a reboot or something.

14. LTL7360

What do you run?

15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

My scores are up there in my games, not much i can do when the cpu is throwing the ball 99% of the time. Its not my db's if you take a look, its all between my dline and lbs. I'm also leading the ncaa in interceptions also. Ask coach and mark, take a look at those games where ive had high sack numbers against users too. Not sure what more i could explain.

16. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

i use iowa playbook cause im use to it and like it. i like to run to set up the pass but get my butt kicked cause the oline cant block on about 90% of the time.

17. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Nope not even close, i run the 34, don't touch that formation

18. LTL7360

Im just kidding man. IDK you're schedule but I understand getting skewed stats. My D is so awful my offense looks like it is running up the score. If I run into you, Im running 3 step to 5 step drops all the the time though

19. KnightNoles

Nautica

No need to explain man, it was a I Love Lucy quote. lol

20. LTL7360

Its not my business, but try a primary 4 wide spread like the run and shoot. It takes dominant defenses in the front 7 and puts your 4 WR's vs their DB's. If you read defenses well, you can gain 6 yards a down.

21. KnightNoles

Yes and not necessarily a reboot, just putting drives together.

Knowing the number/count system works out well and knowing how to use your line shifts to open up running holes.

22. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

On this site, yes i do feel the need to with all the sim-nazi's that are around. I'm not worried because if there was an issue with my play it would havebeen brought up by a user along time ago. I got into it last year in the e with guys because a few thought that a video game should interpret real life to a T, but it never will. Like i said it's all with my dline and lbs, i just,looked however and saw that williams has 19 already. Didnt realize that although il not suprised considering he lines up next to a 96 overall dlinemen

23. KnightNoles

*Checks to see who runs this league*

Oh yea. . .

:rolleyes:

:cool:

24. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I don't think I've allowed over 150 yards passing by a user in a game yet in 13. I know I've held a lot of users to under 100 yards passing

25. LTL7360

do you go strait man or zones?