Mid-Season Recruiting Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Mid-Season Recruiting Discussion

I thought we'd discuss the progress (or lack of) we're having so far. I want to get a general impression of what you guys think of the newer, more difficult recruiting system EA has built into the game. See anything we need to address?

It looks like we're spread out a bit among the top classes in the nation, which is good. If we had six of the top ten classes, that's probably an issue.

2. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I am still trying to figure the system out. I would have to have a decent handle on the recruiting system before I could suggest tweaks :(

3. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

Because we can only sign so many players, it's actually been going pretty good for me even though I came on late (still waiting on the ok to oversign by at least 5 guys). I don't think their needs to be any tweeks (besides EA allowing us to have a 80 man roster rather then the 70 man)

Hints for a newbie...

Don't target the full 35 guys as you can only sign normally 10 to 15 due to the recruiting rules. I say 20 max. If you want to fill your board, fine but don't spend time on all 35 guys as that will reduce the time you can spend on each players to like 10-20 mins each and that is gonna cause you to lose alot of players.

You need to focus on signing and offering positions of need. B/c the rosters are only 70man, you can not afford to over sign in any 1 area.

Hit your pipeline HARD!!!! B/c you get the extra boost for pipeline players.

Choose your battles wisely... If Texas is recruiting a guy, they are #1 on his list, the recruit is from Texas, and Texas is not your pipeline state...... Don't bother Texas will kick your butt 9/10 times.. **note i used Texas because those f#$kers took a MLB (position of need for me) from me that i really wanted.. So i just wanted to take the time out to say F#$K YOU BUDDY!!!**

If your are 400 points behind the leader and the leader has offered... Don't bother..

Scoop up the easy to get players.. EXAMPLE... There may be 3 FS all are 4 stars. You are 3rd for the top 2 and 1st for the 3rd guy you liked... Go for the 3rd guy. As your chances are MUCH higher and then it's possible for a instant commit. There is not that much of a different between 4 stars (or 5stars to 5stars, or 3stars to 3stars, etc).

Recruiting against hum players is tough b/c there are some guys that will put the full 60 mins on there top 10 guys. It's very tough to over come that if you are not putting in the same amount of time. So keep an eye on your board and don't be afraid to get off when you are falling to far behind.. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Also don't be afraid to pick up 3star players... There are some 3star guys that are rated higher then 4star guys..

Look at the ATH's they can play multiple positions and are very valuable b/c of that as they allow you to fill holes.

ok, no more tips for you pussies! The rest you need to find out the hard way like i did..

Again F@#k Texas!

4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I love the new system, I have been doing it online lately, which isnt as fun but it is working. I have been able to get a few and it looks like some are soon to commit. I feel that it is very realistic.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I like the new system alot, BUT I am having a terrible time recruiting with South Carolina. They usually pull in decent classes in reality, but in this league I am not getting much interest. I am not recruiting any 5* players hard, and instead am focusing on filling my needs with 3* players who fit my style of play, and the odd 4*. I am really only working on 15 players right now and I still only have one recruit! I will need to spend some more time tinkering on my practice dynasty and see what works in terms of recruiting, because it is killing me right now!

6. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

i think these are great tips. and my class is gonna suck but i do love the recruiting.

i would add...use the console if you can so you can see more info...most notably the pt differentiation between you and others.

7. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

don't mess with Texas :)

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

[IMGa=left]http://cdn.www.easports.com/static/194.18.33/images/fbodNCAAFBOnlineDynastyPlugin/avatars/7_B_N_002_SnapShot.png[/IMGa]I try to go after the key positions in a big way, burning all my time if I have to, as long as it gets the result I want. The top guys, like our top recruit Mr. McCutcheon (pictured to the left, #1 OLB, #1 OVR) will require a full hour pretty much every week, and you can drop back quick if you don't give it.

I will give you guys one word of advice - fill out your boards. You don't have to call them all, but put them on your list. Here's why:

You get a number of points each week based on where a target is on your list. So it's important to put your number one guy at the top of your list, and rank them carefully. Also, since you get points week to week anyway, leave the guys alone if you have a big lead, or drop the amount of time you spend on them. If I offer a three star, and I'm 400 points up on 2nd place, that means no one else is calling him. Just back off, schedule his visit late, spend a few minutes every other week or so, and let the bar fill on its own. Top prospects require oodles of time, so use it on them, not the guys who will sign anyway. The difference between signing that three star in week six instead of week 12 might be the time you needed to bag the next Heisman winner.

Also, it was possible last year for a guy to sign without an offer. If a guy was on my board, and I called him enough, he might sign even if I didn't offer a scholarship. It happened to me a few times. These guys count against your number, so if it's still something that happens, you'll want to be aware of it.

You guys listening? I mean, I'm giving you recruiting gold over here.

Douchebags.

9. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Says the guy who got pimp smacked by miami.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Says the man who recruited PacMan Jones.

And I plan to get my revenge. I'll see you in a bowl game, if that killer Big East schedule doesn't get you first.:bangnana:

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Has anyone else noticed that their recruiting board changes from week to week? I will have my number 1 guy at the top of the board, and next thing I know he is number 4 the next week and there are 2* or 3* guys in front of him. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've never had this happen. Never heard of it.

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

It happens to me every week in our online dynasty.

14. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I think it is because we have recruiting board assistance on...I just turned it off so i will see if that keeps it the same next week

15. vatechhokie01

was gonna say, have to go to strategy and make sure the recruiting assistances (there are like 3) are turned off...this is a must due

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I thought I had turned that off, I will go double check it this evening when I turn it off.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Another recruiting tip:

Recruits can be evaluated based on when they will likely sign. For example, if a guy has generally low interest in everyone at the start of the year, chances are he'll sign late. These are also the recruits you will have the best chance of landing if you're lower on their list, since you'll have the whole season to outspend the other guys. With these guys, it's all about the visit. If you schedule early, forget it. You get a decent bump, but the others will notice and close the gap. Schedule late. Allow that bar to fill up. Get your interest above 90% or so, and even if another school has a soft commit, you can land him in the visit. Low general interest level = visit late.

On the other hand, guys who have generally higher interest in all schools are worth a full hour each week early on, because if you time it right, you can sign them early, and then free up that time to spend elsewhere. Out of six players visiting in week six, I signed four and soft committed a fifth. The sixth has me at 100%, and will probably sign/soft commit in the next week. All of these guys had higher interest levels in all their schools when the year started, so I knew they would sign early, either with me or someone else. I spent six of my ten hours each week on these recruits, and just tried to stay close with the rest. Now, I can get aggressive with the other guys, because these fellas are Buckeyes. High general interest level = visit early.

Recruits will tell you if they're early or late signers in the first week or two. Plan accordingly.

18. vatechhokie01

You are good. And a nerd.

19. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

thanks for the heads up on that Arch, good stuff and thanks!

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

But wait, there's more:

As I understand it, you only need three or maybe four guys from a state to make it a pipeline. Also, you can lose a pipeline if you do not maintain these numbers. I simmed a season before we started, to see what the process was like, and I lost Michigan as a pipeline in year two. So now I know I must make sure to get a few guys from that state up north this year in order to keep it, and I'm planning to do just that, even if I have to take a second kicker or a two star. Know your pipeline numbers so you don't lose a state.

Also, all indications seem to tell me that I'll add Kentucky as a pipeline next year. That can't hurt. OH, MI, PA, FL, and now KY. Indiana and/or Illinois are not outside the realm of possibility as well, though I don't think I'll expand that far. More options = better classes. If you don't think you're going to have a good class this year, do everything you can to expand the empire so you can have a better one next year. Pick up some three or even two star guys from a good regional state (regional to lower the chance of location being used against you) and get that state's Mr. Football next year.

Wisdom is a wonderful thing, boys. Soak it up.

21. Goose

Goose Walk On

Thanks I'm happy as all heck that I finally signed someone.

22. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i majorly messed up this recruiting season. i will have to regroup next year. :(

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Count me into that group, luckily, barring early jumpers I will have a decent group of returners next year. I have 16 leaving but only 3 needs. But a kicker is one of them!

24. vatechhokie01

speaking of which...arch any rules on guys leaving and who we are allowed to talk into staying? just want to look forward to possiblities.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's in the league description. I updated it, pulling info from other leagues. It's all pretty standard stuff. The recruiting rules are a bit different from ours, though. I need to edit those. The rest should be about right.