Mid Season Reports

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Philstyle3005, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Remembered to do this at the mid season mark this time.

Michigan Wolverines 6-0 (2-0)

This is the first season the Michigan coaches have had to coach without Denard Robinson leading the way, and have had to make several adjustments with Devin Gardner in the game. Overall, it's still a work in progress. Devin has looked great at times, and below average at others. He hasn't been consistent at all this season, luckily, it hasn't hurt the Wolverines so far, but it could be something to look out for in the future if some adjustments aren't made. Still though, Michigan sits at 6-0 at the midseason mark and is currently ranked as the number 1 team in the country. Michigan is averaging 40 points a game and only allowing 19 points a game. The defense has stepped up for the most part, and has played very well. If they continue to improve and force more turnovers, they'll keep Michigan in every game they play. The rushing attack has also been very big for the Wolverines but with 2 senior running backs carrying the load, you expect that kind of play.

Offensively

QB Devin Gardner- 63-116 1408 yards 16 tds 4 ints 2 rushing tds
    Devin has had a good season for the most part. A 4-1 Touchdown to interception ration is great, but when the QB you're replacing only had 4 interceptions all of last season, you aren't looked at the same as most Quarterbacks with stats like this. Devin is averaging 235 yards a game, but still has a lot of work to do before people will forget the name Denard Robinson.

HB Fitzgerald Toussaint- 78 rushes 433 yards 9 TDs 1 Receiving TD
    Fitzgerald is averaging 5.5 yards per carry, but just hasn't gotten enough carries this season for him to put up too crazy of numbers. He's been important to this offense, but in more games than not, he's been sitting on the bench in the 2nd half because of the score. He's been the feature back of the offense, but his back-up, Vincent Smith, has almost the same amount of carries as he does.

Receiving-
    The receivers have worked together as a group, instead of there just being one standout. Drew Johnson was the 5 star freshman coming in and he didn't make an impact until the game against Wisconsin where he had over 100 yards and 2 touchdowns. Jeremy Jackson is listed as the number 1 receiver and he's had a solid season with 250 yards. Jerald Robinson has been a big surprise for the team and is continuing to get better each game. A true #1 receiver isn't expected to emerge from the pack, but Drew Johnson will be a star for years to come.

Defensively-

FS Carvin Johnson- 13 tackles 3 Forced Fumbles 6 Interceptions 1 TD
    Carvin coming back for his Senior Season was huge for this defense. He's putting up huge numbers just as he did last year and is getting better with each game. He's the team captain on the defense and has proved why he was chosen with the season he's having. As long as he stays healthy, he should have a record breaking season at Michigan.

LE- Jibreel Black 11 tackles 6 TKL 4 sacks 1 FF 1 FR
    Jibreel is having a good season in his first full season as a starter. He's taking over for Rohl who graduated last season after having a great season and heading for the draft. Jibreel had big shoes to fill and so far, he's done a great job at filling them. He's doing just enough to lead this defensive line.

Big Wins-

Wisconsin- This was easily the biggest win of the first half of the season. It was a conference game between the two teams that have met the last two years in the Conference Championship game and for a 3rd year in a row, Michigan came up with the win 38-31. This could very well be the conference championship game if both do their part, but there are still big games ahead.

Big games left no the schedule-

Week 9- Nebraska comes to the Big House. This is a conference game and a must win if Michigan wants to make it back to the Conference Championship.

Week 11- If we take care of Nebraska, getting to the conference championship will come down to this game at Iowa. It won't be easy with Iowa bringing their flex bone offense back to town, but it's a task that Michigan will have to handle in order to get to the B1G championship again.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Wake Forest

Wake is off to a 6-0 start and undefeated in conference play. Sophomore QB Kevin Sousa again won back the starting job after coaches gave senior Tanner Price a chance at keeping his job, and Sousa hasn't looked back. He is still having problems with interceptions (5 so far) but has been able to keep the offense moving racking up 958 yards on 8 touchdowns. The defense has taken a step back as of the midpoint in the season, currently ranked 96th in total defense. Frankly, that is embarassing for a unit that has traditionally been top 5 in the nation. As the season goes on, I think we will setlle in and finish a hell of a lot higher then we are so far. Tough out of conference games and playing good ACC opponnents like Virginia could be a reason for the high total yardage number. The key to Wake's success so far could be there ranking of the #1 turnover differential in the nation at +15. A new offense has been explosive so far as well.

Sophomore QB - Kevin Sousa - 54-93 for 958 yards, 8 TDs and 5 INTs

Kevin has been good at times, but again has looked young at times like he is. I think he is slowly getting more and more comfortable, but my general lack of knowledge of the offense has really limited him. Coaches may look to get Sousa involved using his legs more as well, as he has the athleticism to do so. Sousa has grown in the area of intangibles too, as he certainly is a lot more confident out on the field. He has had a lot asked of him so far with the new Run N Shoot offense, and has shown capable. The offensive line will need to get better as well if Sousa is going to have time to find his receivers.

Senior RB - Josh Harris - 111 attempts, 659 yards, 7 TDs

Josh Harris has played very well considering the change of offense, and coaches are learning ways to get him more and more involved as the season progresses. The senior is in his third year starting, and is an absolute leader for the team. Harris could see some time at a WR spot to get him out in space, and should get worked more in with HB screens to keep pass rushers at bay.

Freshman WR Mark Bradley - 37 receptions, 369 yards, 2 TDs

Mark has shown superior quickness from the slot spot and has quickly become one of Sousa's favorite targets- evident by his 37 catches thus far. Wake usually has a guy that catches 60 passes a year, and Mark looks to be the guy this season. He has also shown great ability in his route running and is really going to end up being a great player at Wake coaches think.

Junior WR Matt James - 16 receptions, 345 yards, 4 TDs

James has been the big play threat so far this year, averaging 21.5 yards a catch and leading the team in TDs with 4. The junior was expected to be a great deep threat this season, and at 6'6 and ample (87) speed he is a monster. His size has made him a solid redzone target as well so far. He should continue to put up solid numbers, but Sousa has shown he spreads the ball well so far. Still, he is hard to miss on the field and should have no problem getting his catches.

Defense

Junior OLB Zachary Allen - 40 tackles (26 solo, 10 TFL) 1 sack, 2 INT, TD

Allen is one of the leaders on this offense and has really taken on the role this season (became an impact player last week I think). At 6'2 245 he is already a great looking LB; but combo his size with crazy athleticism and Allen is a force on the field. He is a cornerstone of our defense, and should have no problem being one of the best linebackers in the country when the season is all done.

Senior CB AJ Marshall - 25 tackles (15 solo), 4 interceptions

AJ coming back for his senior season was huge for the team, and he has gotten 4 interceptions so far on the year to lead the unit. AJ has been a force on the defense the past couple years and is continuing to be that shutdown corner the Wake defensive scheme relies on. AJ will be relied upon to support that shutdown role throughout the rest of the season.

Special Teams

Freshman K Bobby Jackson - 9 for 9 FG's, long 38

While Jackson hasn't made any long field goals, he has brought stability to a position that Wake never was comfortable with last season. Jackson is 100% so far on the year, and that is always a good thing.

4. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Virginia Cavaliers 4-4(1-3)

Worst start ever for Coach Duke, all he can say is he is not playing real football and we suck flat out suck.

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

oh come on sally there has to be a few bright spots

6. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Ross Metheny has fewer Interceptions than Michael Rocco HOORAY!!!

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Is Rocco the new starter?

Oh wait, its just Virginia.

#Rivalry

8. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

He was starting but since I am rolling with the spread Metheny is starting since he is the better runner, and HAHA I will get my revenge next..nvm my defense will still be ass.

9. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

You know there is only one thing that can save your season now..

RELEASE

THE I-GUN!!!!!!!!

10. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

It didn't even work out last season :(

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yeah, your read options were well done I will give you that. I was shaking my head a few times.. and yeah you might have a shot next season as my secondary will lose a few starters I think. We might see a year or two down at that area, but I am recruiting some 3 stars that are going to be great for my scheme I think.

12. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Your DE bit for it every single time and my other QB has lower accel than Metheny but has more speed so I'm nervous unless he gets to like 86 accel next season.

13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

yes, yes he did bite everytime-- quite frustrating. It was relieving to know that you were going to throw the ball eventually though against my boys ;)

14. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Damn everyone running the spread now?? I might have to change playbooks again next season..

15. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Sucks doesn't it? My receivers are terrible I have no comment for them lol

16. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Nah, you know i'm not running any spread offense...

Run the ball. Play good defense. That's my gameplan

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

thats so 2009.. i gave in and wnet spread cuz my WR's are good