Midseason Conference Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Philstyle3005, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

*Since not everyone did a team preview, I figured it was best to just do a midseason summary report of each conference, instead of individual teams. If someone else wanted to start a midseason report for teams though, I'd gladly add on to it.

[​IMG]

The ACC is obviously one of the strongest conferences in the nation at this point, (see there record agains the B1G) but as far as who is going to win the conference, that's still a toss up. In the Coastal Division, it seem that North Carolina has things wrapped up. They're a perfect 4-0 in conference play, and 7-1 overall with it's one loss coming at home to the B1G conference's Iowa, 27-21. Had it not been for that one slip up, UNC might be sitting as the #1 team in the country. Regardless, they're still the team to beat in the Coastal division, and they still face off against Virginia and Virginia Tech. With rumblings about a coaching change in Virginia, I'm not sure how that game will go. Virginia could come out and play to their potential and pull off an upset, or they could roll over and let UNC walk past. If UNC gets past them, it will come down to a battle between them and Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech recently had their coach pass away, but the new coach seems to be picking up right where Beamer left off. They also have Virginia left, like North Carolina, and they play UNC. The Virginia game is the same, if the coach hasn't given up on his team yet, they can play with anyone, if he has, Virginia Tech will get an easy win. Ultimately, the big game will be Week 12 between the two and that will decide who plays in the conference championship. Virginia Tech will have to stop UNC's Giovanni Bernard if they want to have any chance in this game. He's been great all year, and if the Hokies can't find a way to stop him, they'll be in for a long day. With a new coach, it's tough to say what the Hokies will do with a new coach, and that could be tough for Carolina to plan for, but with it being a few weeks away, I'm sure they'll figure out what the new coaching staff has planned for the game.

On the Atlantic side of things, it's a two team race for the most part, although if Maryland can pull the upset this upcoming week, they could throw themselves into the thick of things, even with the 3-3 record because of their conference record. If they can't, it will come down to a matchup between Clemson and Wake Forest. Wake Forest lost a costly game against Florida St. to ruin their undefeated season, but still can win the conference by beating Clemson, and not dropping another conference game. Clemson is 4-0 in conference, and has only 1 loss that came early in the season to Michigan. Their spread attack with QB Tony McNeal is tough to stop, but Wake has seen a similar type of spread offense when they beat Michigan, so they should be well prepared for it. I think until Wake dropped the game to Florida St., most people had already penciled them into the Conference Championship game. After losing that game though, it showed that Wake is very capable of being beat. Both teams run a variation of the spread, so expect both teams to score, and score often. It could come down to who can stop the other team. Wake Forest has the home field advantage in this one and that could prove to be the difference.

[​IMG]
    ACC Conference Championship Prediction:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

I'm going with Clemson vs UNC and picking Clemson to win the ACC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Where's the B1G breakdown? I was looking forward to reading about how crappy my team is this season...

4. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Coming up, I had the post almost ready and I got sidetracked and accidentally closed the tab.

5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Good stuff Philly!

6. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

[​IMG]

Despite being handled in the ACC vs B1G showdown, the B1G is still one of the premiere conferences in college football. They have 5 members in the top 25 of the BCS standings currently with the highest being #3 Michigan and the lowest being #25 Purdue. First we start out in the Legends division where it is a wide open contest at this point. There are 3 teams that currently all have 1 loss, Penn St., Purdue, and Wisconsin. There are several different things that can happen in this division. Purdue holds the tie breaker over Penn St. with their win last week, so that could play a big part in what happens in the end. In order for Penn St. to make it to the Championship, they need to win out, including beating Wisconsin at Happy Valley, and hope that Wisconsin beats Purdue when they travel to Purdue. In my mind, this will come down to Wisconsin vs. Purdue, for the 3rd season in a row. The last 2 seasons, Purdue has won this game, but they've both been incredibly close. Even if Purdue does happen to lose this game, there is a way they could still make it to the Championship, but it'd be a little tougher. Wisconsin has 3 big games left. They play Purdue, which I've spoken on, Penn St., which I've touched on, and they travel to Iowa for their last game of the season. 3 of their last 4 games are on the road, and they really need to win 2 out of the 3 that are on the road for them to make the Championship. It's going to be tough, but it's more than possible for it to happen.

Breaking down the teams by the probability of what I think will happen.

Purdue really has a chance to run the table the rest of the way. Their last challenge is in week 11 when Wisconsin comes to town. Other than that, they should not have any trouble winning games. If they beat Wisconsin, they're in the B1G Championship, no questions asked.

Wisconsin has 3 tough games left on their schedule. @Purdue, @Penn St. and @Iowa. In order for Wisconsin to make it to the big game, they have to beat Purdue, and one of the other schools listed. If they lose to Purdue though, they have no chance in making it.

Penn St. travels to Nebraska and has Wisconsin coming to town. Penn St. needs to win both of these games for them to have a shot at making it. In my opinion, they have the worst shot at making the Championship game, but anything is possible.

Breaking Down the Wisconsin/Purdue Game

In my opinion, this is what this division comes down to. The last two seasons, Purdue has won this match-up by a narrow margin. This year, it seems like Purdue is struggling with finding their identity so far, but at the same time, it seems like Wisconsin has lost some of the talent edge they've had in years past. Purdue's passing game is terrible, there is no denying that, but passing isn't what wins them games. There hard nose defense and rushing attack is what puts them past opponents. Wisconsin will have to shut down Brandon Cottom and make Sean Robinson beat them for Wisconsin to come out with a win. On the other side of things, Wisconsin can either run or pass against you. For them to win, Gandy is going to have to limit mistakes and if they get Melvin Gordon going early, that will take a lot of pressure off the arm of Gandy. Wisconsin is most successful when they have a lead and can either run or pass, not when they're playing from behind and have to pass.

On the Legends side of things, there are still 3 teams that remain unbeaten in conference play. Michigan, Iowa, and Nebraska. Nebraska has had the talent, and it seems like they're finally putting it all together this season with the 5-1 record they have, but the showdown between Iowa and Nebraska this week will tell everyone a lot about both teams. A blow out either way will put one of these teams out of contention of a conference championship most likely. A close game however, then you never know what could happen.

Breaking Down the 3 teams

Iowa has shown a lot of versatility between their pass game and flex option offense. It's really kept teams off balance and gave them a huge win over the ACC's North Carolina. If they can continue to improve their offense like they have been, they have a great shot at getting to the conference championship. Iowa has 3 big games left. Home against Nebraska this week, travel to Michigan in Week 11, and the season finale at home against Wisconsin. In reality, they need to beat Nebraska and Michigan both for a chance to play for the title.

Nebraska has shown a lot of improvement this season. As stated above, they've had the talent, it's just this season they're starting to put everything together. Nebraska was blown out the 1st game of the season, but has looked a lot more impressive since then. It's safe to say they learned from their loss. They need to beat Iowa and Michigan for a shot at the Leaders division.

Michigan is the same ole Michigan that has won the conference the last two seasons. Although their QB has been a disappointment, their RB Justice Hayes has really came through for this team. Michigan will travel to Nebraska and have Iowa at home. Michigan needs to run the table if they want to keep their conference championship hopes alive.

Not going to pick the conference championship in my own conference, I'll let you guys decide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Purdue vs Michigan for the championship

oh.. and Wake will be in Charlotte-- baleeedat

8. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Wow...Nice break down Phil... Oh and I think Oshi takes me down this year. My normally stellar defense is only a C+ and has seriously struggled thus far.

9. maniac13

maniac13 Walk On

Maryland has something to say about that!

10. CoachRedd

The B1G will be won by the Hawkeyes of Iowa.

11. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

[​IMG]

12. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

13. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

How do you plan on getting there? B1G winner goes to the Orange Bowl in the OC sir

14. CoachRedd

Oh yeah? I completely forgot that. Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to change all my reservations from the Rose Bowl now.

15. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

I literally spent about 30 minutes looking for hot girls at Wisconsin games that I have not used before. it's harder then it looks actually
    and I found a picture that was fun and you shoot me down by telling me I dont get the rose bowl, instead I get a simmed Orange Bowl that I may or may not ever actually get to play in again

16. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I'm sorry but I just couldn't help bust out laughing at this statement

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

:cool:

18. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

EA hates you.