Midseason thoughts

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by BobJr, Mar 22, 2012.

1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Alright guys!

We are close to midseason, so lets dive into your season thoughts!

Answer these simple questions..

Who has been your team MVP?

Who has been your OMVP?

Who has been your DMVP?

How have your offseason acquistions been so far?

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact?

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season.. (MVP, OPTY, DPTY, GM, COACH, OROTY, DROTY)?

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously)

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why?

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far?

Any rules you would like to see, going forward?

• Like Like x 1
  2. cp0990

cp0990 Walk On

Joe Flacco, He has been just great this yr for me

Who has been your OMVP?
    Flacco For reason stated above

Who has been your DMVP?
    Entire D, They all have stepped up big at times, DT Watts makes big run stops, RE Roberts brings pass russ, The secondary does a great job of not giving up big plays but make a few on their own.

Tramon williams has be quiet but thats what u want from a cb. If u dont hear from him hes doing a good job.

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact?

Great draft i think. Gibbs is leading my team in tackles and has a int, Ridenhour is starting FB, Cater Reed avg punt is nearly 50, Mcgee is now starting punt and kick return.

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season.. (MVP, OPTY, DPTY, GM, COACH, OROTY, DROTY)?
    MVP has to be Cam Newton hes be great this yr
    OPTY - Cam Newton
    DPTY- Justin Durant LOLB from Pitt (leadss league in tackles along with 3 sacks 1 int and 1 FF)
    GM- Bob
    Coach- drunken
    OROTY- Daryl Conley
    DROTY- Jamiarian Gibbs

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously)
    Havent had much trouble scheduling

Pitt, came into HK with not much talent on his team but still always upbeat. He will turn things around in pittsburg

RYTY

I would like to see a tender rule for orginal team if RFA is 95 or over. This being if a team were to win a 95 ovr player in RFA the comp would at min be a 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Who has been your team MVP? Armani Owens

Who has been your OMVP? Adric Butler

Who has been your DMVP? Armani Owens

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? I havnt had any that have made a huge impact tbqh. Disappointed in DRC, through 5 games, no INTs.

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? Draft class has been satisfactory so far. Adric Butler has been solid, definitely helped me in opening up the passing game.

MVP - Gary Frederick
    OPTY - Gary Frederick
    DPTY - TJ Ward
    GM - Ryty
    Coach - Noles
    OROTY - Devonta' Monroe
    DROTY - T.J. Jaques

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is serious, please don't take it as a joke) Frisk

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? Hal. Always respectful and a real classy guy. Plays straight SIM and is very respectful of the "unspoken" rules.

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? CA or Diddy

Any rules you would like to see, going forward? Not a "rule" per say, just annoys me to see people giving their HBs high 28+ carries game after game. That just dosnt happen in the NFL anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  4. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

Who has been your team MVP? charles

Who has been your OMVP? charles
    Who has been your DMVP? biermann

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? Been ok

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? Its doing alright , cook is best rookie from my class and hes awesome

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season.. (MVP, OPTY, DPTY, GM, COACH, OROTY, DROTY)? Newton , newton , boyd , drunken , bob ,

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) those cant play at the time you want them to lol
    Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? I think diddy does , hes lay back

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? Tough one
    Any rules you would like to see, going forward? no

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Who has been your team MVP? Durham

Who has been your OMVP? Durham

Who has been your DMVP? Joplin

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? Had none

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? Great Taylor and Durham

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season.. (MVP, OPTY, DPTY, GM, COACH, OROTY, DROTY)? I have no clue

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) Me damn Detroit apartments

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? the CPU it hasnt cried once

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? Drunken

Any rules you would like to see, going forward? Participate or go to lobby Recaps what are these?

• Like Like x 2
  6. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Who has been your team MVP? - Knowshon Moreno

Who has been your OMVP? - Knowshon Moreno

Who has been your DMVP? - Leon Hall

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? - Leon Hall has been a solid replacement for Champ Bailey, and after losing Honeycutt, Mughelli has been a solid FB pickup as well

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? - K'Twon Brandon has been the only rookie impact, and he is doing a great job returning kicks

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season.. (MVP, OPTY, DPTY, GM, COACH, OROTY, DROTY)? - MVP - Frederick from Raiders, OMVP - Cam Newton, DVMP - Na'Quan Boyd, GM - Bob Jr, Coach - Drunken, OROTY - Daryl Conley, DROTY - TJ Jaques

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) - most of the guys have been pretty easy to schedule with for me

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? - Sporty...name says it all, keeps on trying and keeps on working, doesn't complain

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? - Drunken

Any rules you would like to see, going forward? - i am good with the rules

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

• Like Like x 1
  8. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    Who has been your team MVP? No one player has stood out above everyone. It'd be one of these 5 though:

Who has been your OMVP? It's between Jaxon Boone, Harrison Anthony, Antwan Barksdale, and Brandon Marshall.

Who has been your DMVP? Brendan Murray.

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? They've been awesome. Brandon Marshall has improved the offense leaps and bounds. He made the passing game much harder to defend. Vernon Carey has filled a hole at RG very nicely.

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? QB Ben Brennan has seen some playing time but that's it. We didn't have a whole lot of holes this past offseason so the draft was used more for future needs.

MVP: Cam Newton
    OPTY: Cam Newton
    DPTY: Na'Quan Boyd
    GM: Bob
    Coach: MG
    OROTY: Daryl Conley
    DROTY: Nico Reid

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) Haven't had any problems.

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? Ryty. We've only played once but that definitely stood out.

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? diddy, I guess. There's a lot of good options.

Any rules you would like to see, going forward? Getting rid of the RFA system completely. It would be easier on everyone and make the offseason even more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:

Im interested...divulge a little...

10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I'm equally interested in what you have to share, you have some great ideas and have the experience of a running a league as well.

11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

Andre Johnson, even though a healthy Ben Tate opens up another dimension and gives the offense so much explosion.

Who has been your OMVP?
    AJ

Who has been your DMVP?
    Jon Beason

Rookies

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? Through 5 games played:
    HB Jejwaune Spencer 21 Att 141 Yards TD
    OL Conor Browning 7 Sacks given up (eek)

[​IMG]

MVP: Cam
    OPY: Gary Frederick
    DPOY: Na'Quan Boyd
    GM: still goin with Cimmy
    Coach: Drunken
    OROTY: Daryl Conley or Devonta' Monroe, Adric Butler is close
    DROTY: Jamarian Gibbs

I hate scheduling with the computer!

Sporty or Pitt. They are trying to rebuild from the ground up and even though they take their lumps they stay positive and on the right track.

Bob needs that Lombardi
    CP has one, had a down year and is back on the rise along with Coug. It is good to see a team win the SB and then struggle/make playoffs and go out then here they are getting better the next year, ready to roll!

Not really but I do like the Tender suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Someone is still a little bitter over Crawford 'eh? ;)

I echo this as well. Right now, just about every decent player is an RFA once their contract expires once they're 26+ years old. Thats just a bit excessive to me imo. I like the way Hal did it in TL (even though I know he has a different idea for RFA now).

Here is how TL did RFAs:

Compensation was a flat 1st and 3rd if you won an RFA. No money was added to offers etc. It made who you bid on much more strategic and it made matching a bigger deal.

13. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:

14. Cavs4LIFE

Cavs4LIFE Walk On

Who has been your team MVP? Antoine Cason

Who has been your OMVP? WR Jastashun Kiglore

Who has been your DMVP? CB Antoine Cason

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? Great. Cason along with resigning Nnamdi and Allen have solidified my secondary. Levtrite and Hardwick sured up my offensive line.

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? Good. Kenarious Butler has helped my dline, and FS Chiante Gilbert and CB Montrell Mack have been productive in the secondary.

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season..
    MVP Cam Newton
    OPTY Cam Newton
    DPTY Na'Quan Boyd
    GM Drunken
    COACH Drunken
    OROTY Daryl Conley
    DROTY Kenarious Butler

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) No clue, but BG was late for our originally scheduled time. :D

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? BG, even though he was destroying me, he didnt try to run up the score.

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? Drunken

More stricter guidelines for balanced play calling on offense.
    Also think it would be cool if we had some sort of practice squad roster of 5-10 players. That way if a player gets injured on your team and you go to your practice squad and get that player.

15. cp0990

cp0990 Walk On

Naw its just i have lost 3 rfa's over 95 and not once have been comp more than a 2nd. Too me thats not realistic in the least because in irl the orginal team would do all they could to keep the player. I know we cant do just like real life but if u were forced to give up a 1st then it would make the bidder think more about it than say " well ill offer a 2nd for this 95 ovr player " we would never let a 95 ovr player go in a trade for only a 2nd through the trade committee. Idk just a suggestion

16. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I understand where you're coming from, and to an extent I agree with you. At the same time though, in our current system, you have the option to match. Its not like there is nothing you can do and all you get in return is a 2nd. Hell, Bob matched a 100 mil contract on Dickerson, same with Diddy on Peterson. Its all about how much you value that player tbqh.

Thats why for an RFA system, I would prefer to use something like TLs in the future or Hals idea if he would ever share it.

17. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    I like the idea of "doing away" with the options and doing a hard 1st and 3rd. It makes the decision to try and sign as well as to match or not that much bigger as well as under-complicating things.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DC

DC Shake n Bake

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

TEAM MVP - Jeremy Riggs. He is managing the game, and more importantly the ball (i.e., turnovers) better this year. QB rating near 100, 6 TDs and only 4 picks--unchartered territory for a QB coached by Reb.

OMVP - Devonta' Monroe. I have leaned on him heavy in my last three games (all cpu) to see if this kid has what it takes. He is a little fumble prone but is a helluva runner. He runs N-S and hits the hole hard. Slasher-type runner with enough speed to hit a homerun. I would describe him as a BJGE (BenJarvis Green-Ellis) with speed.

DMVP - P Willie. 13 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 Int., 1 FF

OFFSEASON ACQUISITIONS - Right on schedule. Jeremy Maclin just got hurt for a couple of weeks. We all know how dangerous it is catching a curl route and getting tackled (tongue-in-cheek), but befoer the injury he had 9 catches for 317 yds. and 4 TDs. Homerun hitter for sure and he is opening things up for Davis, Dickson and Crabtree. Also provides the other outside option I need for games against Patrick Peterson (although I am certain he could cover them both at once, he cannot be on both sides of the field at once). Kareem Jackson has done well in the Nickel spot and at Safety in the 1-4-6 (my primary 2nd/3rd and long, 4 or 5 wide coverage). 10 tackles and 1 Int. to this point. Ed Dickson was acquired on waivers after Week 1 or 2. Gives me another top-notch option in two tight sets and he is a very good run blocker. Contributing quietly.

DRAFT CLASS - In my humble opinion, this year's off-sesaon and draft my best effort thus far. I didn't have a 2nd rounder and the 12th overall wasn't necessary to fill my needs. Traded out of the 1st round for Kareem Jackson, and the 4th and 12th picks of the 2nd round. I managed to acquire 3 starters who are contributing well. Cqulin Depriest (WR, 2nd round, 4th pick) filled an immediate need at WR (depth and good WR3) and is now a starter while Maclin is hurt. 7 catches for 134 yds. Not a star yet, but a solid contributor. Clay White (C, 2nd round, 12th pick) has been a starter from day one. He has given up a couple of sacks but is a solid OL. He will be a good one for years to come. And last but not least, Devonta' Monroe (HB, 4th round, 12th pick). I couldn't afford to keep Frank Gore and needed depth at HB. Kendall Hunter is an untested entity. I liked Monroe's attributes and made a decision to give him a chance at carrying the load. He has performed well beyond expectations (105 carries, 568 yds., 13 TDs). He has passed the test and will not be leaned on as heavily for the remainder of the year, but he has proven to be reliable.

MIDSEASON AWARDS
    MVP - Cam Newton
    OPOTY - Cam Newton
    DPOTY - Justin Durant
    GM - @Cavs4LIFE - Never seen so many roster moves. Can't imagine the sheer concentration and time it takes to pull that off in-season. All jokes aside, I think he is doing good things with the Eagles. With everything he inherited with that team (some real bad contracts, cpu team/league managed for most of the seasons), I think he is doing a real good job in spite of the circumstances and has parlayed that management into some good wins.
    COACH - @DrunkenSoldier , Master of all things 1-5-5 (just a joke Drunken, I could care less what D you run..lol...most impressive team thus far this season)
    OROTY - Daryl Conley
    DROTY - Nico Reid (Who is Jimmy Graham?)

SCHEDULING - I have had pretty good luck since I have been in HK. Owners either get it scheduled and played or quickly let you know to play cpu or sim.

SPORTSMANSHIP - Going with a darkhorse candidate here. Gonna say Cimmy24 . I came up in the NFC East in HK, and I struggled mightily. Cimmy beat me in blow-outs, close games, meaningless games, etc. Never once did I beat him. But the games were always enjoyable and handled the right way on his end regardless of the circumstances.

OWNER OF THE YEAR - @_MG_ . Whiloe the stable in Buffalo wasn't empty, per se, it certainly wasn't full either. The AFC East is not an easy division with bj and hal over there, and the Bills are sitting at the top for now at least.

RULE CHANGE - I don't think the RFA system needs to be overhauled, but I would tweek it just a little. I would like to see each team have a franchise tag to use each season. That way, if you have say three badass RFAs that you need to keep, you can at least pull one out of the fire for at least a year. Maybe limit it where you can only put the tag on a player once (or not two years consecutively - - I think that is the NFL rule). League could set the compensation for a franchise tag based on rating and years in the league (make it expensive enough that it is not the best option, but not so expensive that it wrecks the cap).

20. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    First off, there's a couple big flaws with the RFA system:
    • There's no way to have a backup plan or fallback players. You pick the player(s) you want to target and you either get them or no one. This past offseason, the Eagles put up a $100 mil contract on Dickerson but it got matched. They were at the whim of trying to figure out if they had spent enough for the player and would get screwed if they didn't. That's a lot of money that they left on the table and they ended up with a 75 ovr player starting at SS. They could've gotten a much better player and this happens to every team which leads to my next point.
    • It's impossible to fill holes with quality non-star players so the only way to improve your team is to build through the draft or throw a ton of money at a top RFA. The minor adjustment I did in TL to only make RFAs 90 and above was meant to address that but it wasn't perfect because it just meant that the 80-89 players were UFAs and could be resigned. The reality is that no one(purposefully anyway) is generally going to commit draft picks and extra money to a player that's 27 or older and in the 80's. So despite them being RFAs, it works out the same as what I did because they typically all get resigned after the draft anyway. And that's not realistic because these players are the ones most likely to be changing teams to find starting jobs and/or more money.
    • That also affects how we manage our current roster. I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone else, but this past offseason(and previous offseasons) I resigned 2 mid-80's RFAs that I didn't really want back. Why did I do that? Because there really wasn't an option. My choices were to overspend and give up picks on a different RFA, let them go and sign a player in the 70's to replace them, or keep them. The first 2 options just aren't practical unless you're getting a star player at that position or already have a starter at that position. I can't look at similarly rated players and am stuck with what I've got.
    • Between setting up who all the RFAs are, making sure none of them are resigned, keeping track of which were bid on, going through all the PMs after RFA closes, monitoring what the winning bid contracts were, moving back players that were matched, moving draft picks for unmatched RFAs, and adding money to the contracts of the unmatched players, there's a decent amount of work involved in running the RFA system. A system that is easier and smoother to run would be advantageous.
    So, the goal should be a system where you can definitely spend your available money to improve your team, open up the possibility of just good players to change teams, and to reduce the work for the management. My idea for that is pretty simple and would be:
    • As I said earlier, get rid of the RFA system. Everyone that is a free agent is a UFA. You know if you're leading a bid, then you're going to get that player. There's no more ambiguity about it. Will wayers match on the Rodgers contract? You'll know because he'll be leading the bid for him. Unable to compete with wayers for Rodgers? Ok, then move down to Stafford or whoever you would want next.
    • Similar to the RFA list, guarantee that the players 80 and above will see free agency. You make a list and just say that these guys are unable to be resigned. This will create a lot more movement of players and make free agency more involving than resigning players.
    • The one real pro of the RFA system, imo, is that it attempts to protect teams from getting screwed in free agency(though it's not perfect as CP has pointed out). This can be similarly accomplished by taking something used in real life. The franchise tag. I wouldn't propose that we implement an accurate franchise tag to how it is actually done, but just allow every team to resign 1 player from their team that is on the free agency list. You could setup restrictions on that if you'd like so that it's something like just 95 or below players or make it any player that is going to be a free agent. Then you just have everyone post which, if any, player they chose to resign.
    • The amount of work is significantly downgraded. You create a free agency list and then you make sure the players weren't resigned. That's it.
    So all-in-all, I think it would make the league much more interesting, more competitive, and easier to run.

• Like Like x 2
  21. KnightNoles

If Reb is on the verge of the playoffs and/or gets into the playoffs-- he is my GM of the year
    along the lines of MG also

• Like Like x 1
  22. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I really like that as well, but I feel that if you were to do this you would have to raise the qualifications for being an RFA.

Personally, I like the idea of adding a rule that limits how many of your UFAs you can resign as well. Maybe something like this for UFA / RFA:

===========================================================

Here is how RFAs will be determined:

A. Players Age ≤ 25 Years Old and have and Overall rating ≥ 95
    B. Players Age ≥ 26 Years Old and have and Overall rating ≥ 90

RFA status is determined AFTER progression each offseason. Kickers and punters do not apply to this rule.

UFA:

Teams are limited to resigning a maximum of 3 UFAs per offseason with 80+ OVR. You're free to resign any UFAs with OVR ratings of 79 or below. If they go into the UFA / RFA 1 pool unsigned you can still bid on them.

Franchise Tag:

You can assign a franchise tag to one player per offseason (regardless of whether or not they're a UFA or RFA [this also dosnt count towards your UFA restrictions if the player is a UFA]). The Franchise Tag resigns the player for one season for $10 mil (7 mil salary, 3 mil bonus) and at the end of the contract the player becomes a UFA (regardless of whether or not he meets RFA restrictions [remember, players generally speaking dont like to be franchise tagged]).

===========================================================

Just some ideas to liven up the offseason. The RFA to me personally is too broad atm. Generally speaking as well the UFA pool pre UFA2 is usually pretty lacking. I think this also puts pressure on more people to manage their salary cap and player contracts (in terms of when they expire). It also makes building through the draft more important IMO.

23. KnightNoles

start a new thread for all this UFA/RFA talk

*per MG and BK* lol

24. County5

County5 Practice? I mean c'mon..

Alright guys!

Who has been your team MVP? Eluzies Wells

Who has been your OMVP? Wluzies Wells, my HB has been outperforming the rest of his line.

Who has been your DMVP? LaRon Landry

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? Pretty good.

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? Freeman, the FS I picked up has been consistent waiting for him to break out though.

Who would be your award winners for HK at this point of the season.. (MVP, OPTY, DPTY, GM, COACH, OROTY, DROTY)? Not Sure, ill go with Cam Newton

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) Jeebus H. Christ

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? Don't know for sure.

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? Again not sure

Any rules you would like to see, going forward? None, glad I got in on this before realease of 13.​

25. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Who has been your team MVP? Percy Harvin. He is our only deep threat that can score at any time and you have to beware of where he is on the field.

Who has been your OMVP? Percy

Who has been your DMVP? Prince Justice. Drafted him in the 1st draft I believe and he has been a beast out there.

How have your offseason acquistions been so far? Pretty good, I simmed my first game but he played well in that game leading a great comeback. He played decent against the Cardinals. My rookie I brought in for the defensive line has been a great find so far especially with Terrance Knighton breaking his collarbone.

How has your draft class been? Who has made an impact? LaNeal Malone has been decent so far with 6 tackles and a sack after 4 games. He will now be the lead guy with the injury to Knighton. Othneil Fletcher has the speed to really burn any defense in the NFL. He hasn't been given much opportunity but with the little play time he has been given, he has done well. 12 carries for 51 yards.

MVP - Cam
    OPTY- Gary Frederick
    DPTY- NaQuon Boyd
    GM- Knight - defending super bowl champ and having another solid year.
    COACH- Drunken
    OROTY- Daryl Conley
    DROTY- Jamarian Gibbs

Who is the biggest pain in the ass to schedule with? (this is a joke, please don't take it seriously) Redwings

Who has the best sportsmanship in HK and why? Diddy by far. Never had any complaints about him or with him. Also Ryty or Bob, both of them are fun to play against.

Who would be your Owner of the Year for this release so far? Owner, for who has done the most for HK would be Ryty, Bob or Diddy. As far as who has made and kept a good squad, I would have to say BG. He has always had solid years.

Any rules you would like to see, going forward? Draws being limited, and offensive play calling being a little more mixed up. I don't care if you throw to your superstar but please try to spread it around the field. Not just over the middle because it works.