Mike Leach

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by phbaseball1335, Dec 18, 2010.

1. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

Some news starting to gain momentum here in Maryland is the possibility of Mike Leach being hired as the next head coach for Maryland football. According to espn.com, the Terps are forcing current coach (and ACC coach of the year winner) into a buyout in order to pursue Leach.

If this goes down, how much success does Leach have in the ACC? It's going to be a great move for the Terps if they can pull this off.

2. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

that would be interesting...Leach can get a good QB and recruit an O-line then he's in business.

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

hah, i thought maryland was in the big east. now that is breaking news to me.

acc, huh?

4. Gyrene76

haha, yeah they are acc

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    The Air Raid will murder some the ACC if they can get the athletes in there.

Anyone who saw TT circa Wes Welker knows what I am talking about.

He does need to start running the ball a bit more to keep defenses a bit more balanced.

Also, do not recruit another son of Craig James.

6. Gyrene76

Yeah that was their problem, if they ran the ball at least 8 to 10 more times it would help tremendously. Just take a page out of Oregon's spread playbook, as much as that pains me to say.

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Leech is a tool and a cancer to any football program. He inspired the type of football culture Texas Tech currently has and it's piss poor. They are probably the worst fan base in the nation and probably the most delusional when talking about the historic relevance of their program. Honestly, there are 100 other coaches out there that can run that cheap ass offense and do it well. I can't wait until the NCAA starts cracking down on the pick offenses so retards like Leach will disappear forever.

Have you ever heard this mouth-breather in an interview? You wonder why he isn't eating goat shit from a straw...

Sure, Texas Tech may never again have such a long stretch of bowl eligible seasons, but what did that accomplish for them? I would venture to say not much.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
  9. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

Maryland is supposed to announce the official "firing" of their coach at 3pm today...not sure if that will also include an announcement about Leach because Friedgen is expected to coach the Terps in their bowl game after x-mas. If it is a done deal, but not announced, I would expect Leach to start trying to lure some recruits with him while he doesn't have any recruiting restrictions. Until he is officially named the coach, he can contact as many recruits as he wants without penalty

10. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Its looking very very good at this point. We are expected to hire Leach in the next few days, if not tomorrow. I, for one, welcome our new Mike Leach/pirate overlords.

11. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

It looks like it will be officially announced on Monday, but its already begun to leak that theyve reached at least a preliminary agreement. With the offensive talent we have coming back (I promise, we actually have a good amount) we could be really really good next year.

12. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

It should be interesting, that's for sure.

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Did Ralph Friedgen get a raw deal or what?

14. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I don't really think so. He's not all that far removed from a 2-10 season. We've been decidedly mediocre over the last 7 seasons and fan interest just wasnt there. We recently expanded the stadium and the newly built suites just weren't selling. The program had gotten kind of stale under Ralph and a change needed to be made in order to bring back some fans. Just another reminder that this is a business. Add to that the fact that the OC and HCIW, James Franklin, left to take the Vanderbilt job and was gonna take a bunch of assistants with him. That left Ralph with 1 year left on his deal and put UMD into the position of either giving him what was essentially a coach for life deal, let him be a lame duck coach (death for recruiting), or to make this move and let our new AD bring in who he wanted.

All that said, Ralph should be proud of what he accomplished. He put UMD into a position where they could strive to be nationally relevant on a yearly basis like we're doing with this hire. For a long time before him, they were striving just to be relevant on campus and bigger than the 10th or 11th biggest thing locally.

15. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

No raw deal... most telling stats about Ralph's demise was shown on TV during the bowl game.

28,000 season ticket holders in 2005, down to less than 18,000 this season
    12 luxury suites still unsold at about 50K/year
    At least a 10% drop in total attendance each of the last 4 years

When there are only two revenue generating sports on campus (football and men's basketball), the University needs to do everything it can to maximize its profits even if that means firing an alum who helped make the football program respectable during his 10 years as coach. This is especially true when these two teams not only fund their teams, but also are responsible for funding the 25 other team sports on campus.

16. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

May have been premature. Theres a lot of conflicting information out there now. The AD set a self imposed deadline of Tuesday, so we should know one way or another soon enough.

17. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

Reports are saying it's going to be Edsall.

18. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

There's an epic meltdown going on the Maryland boards. Thats the conflicting report I was talking about. Some were saying Leach was all but signed and others were saying it was Edsall. Epic failure in my opinion. Edsall is fine if youre building a program because he's a decent coach, but in terms of actually becoming nationally relevant? He hasnt shown he can do that.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    We are in a recession...

20. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Thats not UMD's problem. Yeah, the economy is bad, but the state of Maryland actually has the highest income per household in the country. There's enough money here to buy a season ticket for a little over $100 bucks. The problem is that this is a pro sports area and it takes a really good/exciting team to move the needle at all. Edsall isn't the guy to do that. Season ticket sales for football will be PITIFUL next year. Around 12k or so. Some of the fanbase is pissed we let Fridge go, a bunch are pissed it isnt Leach, and everyone is pissed that its Edsall.

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Haha

I like Fridge, he is a good coach.

Past that, you can buy a season ticket for $100? I can't get tickets to Ohio State - Penn State for $100 bucks.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Mike Leach deserves a much slimier school than Maryland. Trust me, you may -think- you want him, but you really don't.

23. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Yeah, football isn't big at Maryland. It's $135 for the cheapest seats for season tickets. And honestly, you can go to all of the games for a fraction of that on the secondary market. For next year? They may have to start paying fans to get attendance over 20k.

24. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

I think the bottom line is that Leach was blocked by someone who didn't like him despite the fact that he was the number 1 choice for the fanbase and many boosters. It seems like Maryland is the only school in the country where the important boosters don't have any impact on who is hired to coach the football team.

Maryland would have been better off keeping Fridge as a lame duck coach even if they weren't going to renew his contract after next season. I expect Edsall to have a decent season next year solely based on the talent coming back for this team, but after that, I think it is all downhill especially in terms of fan support. This is really starting to look like Fridge's first few years when he came in and won with the prior regime's talent, but was never able to put it all together when he got his own players.

I think the self-imposed deadline also hurt Maryland. If it wasn't going to be Leach, I think you have to at least wait another week to see if you can steal Gus Malzahn away from Auburn. The deadline seems to have forced Maryland's hand to hire Edsall. Maybe in the end it winds up being a good hire, but I can't see it. I don't see this team performing any better than it would have if Ralph was allowed to stick around.

25. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Are you talking about Brit Kirwin or Wallace Loh? Because there are rumors going around about each of them. That said, I know some people who got ahold of Kirwin who pretty much denied having anything to do with it... said it was just up to the powers at UMD, not him. No matter what happened or who it was, this falls at Kevin Anderson's feet. You don't fire an alum who just won 9 games unless you have your big splash hire already lined up. Instead we hired a guy who begged for an interview at Syracuse last year (his alma mater) and was rejected. Mediocrity starts here baby