Mile High Rebound: Denver Broncos 2010-11 (Year 1)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Mile High Rebound: Denver Broncos 2010-11 (Year 1)

Broncos Secure Coach Winuvas for '10-'11

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

Any football fan can always sense the impending football season. The calendar flips through the summer. ESPN shows off the professional baseball trading deadline. Then you start to hear it: rookie signings, veteran holdouts....and the NFL begins its invasion of the media.

Even though pre-season has yet to begin, the Denver Broncos and owner Pat Bowlen decided to make an impromptu change at the head coaching position. It was an unusual move for Bowlen, who is typically a loyal (almost to a fault) owner to those under his employ. However, with the regime of Josh McDaniels fading down the stretch after a strong start, Bowlen and general manager Brian Xanders decided a different approach was a good idea, and went out and made some phone calls to inquire about the availability of Coach Bob Winuvas.

Coach Winuvas was available, and willing, to give another go at the OMFL, this time with a much better team than he ever fielded in either Kansas City or Tampa Bay in his first stint in the league.

"With Coach Winuvas' defensive prowess and (former coach Josh) McDaniels' playbook on offense, we feel that this team can rebound and make a significant run in the AFC West to win a division title," owner Pat Bowlen said in Coach Winuvas' inaugural press conference. "Coach McDaniels has been retained as offensive coordinator, where we feel he can contribute greatly to the re-invigoration of this franchise. This city, its wonderful fans, and the team are committed to quality on the field, and we start at the top."

Coach Winuvas strode to the podium donning the typical Broncos hat and shirt, smiling.

"It's good to be back in the league, guys," Coach Winuvas joked with the media. "I know you guys missed me and my tirades."

Coach Winuvas then talked about his challenges with the new team.

"Well, honestly, this team faded down the stretch on both sides of the ball. We have some quality in place in a few areas, especially at linebacker with (outside linebacker Elvis) Dumervil and (middle linebacker Mario) Haggan, and the great (cornerback) Champ Bailey. With the recent signing of defensive tackle Jamal Williams, we have the anchor pieces in place to move forward in a 3-4 scheme and be very successful with it," Coach mused.

"However, on offense we have a few pieces still needed, unless guys step up and make plays quickly. (Rookie wide receiver) Demaryius Thomas and (wide receiver) Eddie Royal have to make plays for us, and (quarterback) Kyle Orton has to be as good, if not better, than last year. With the addition of a guy like (quarterback) Tim Tebow, though, and his tenacity to win at all costs and help his team no matter what, we have to figure ways to get him (Tebow) on the field. (Running back) Knowshon (Moreno) is a stud and has a great group of offensive lineman in front of him. We have to win in the trenches on both sides, and with our offensive/defensive linemen, we have the horses to run with any team," Coach Winuvas analyzed.

When asked about yet another stint in the AFC West, Coach Winuvas smiled.

"Can't say I am not familiar with these teams and what they can and cannot do. I may not be the smartest coach out there, but knowledge cannot be overvalued," Coach Winuvas said.

As he left the podium, Coach Winuvas smiled and gave the thumbs up to the media.

Is there reason for optimism in Denver now? Coach Winuvas is a defensive genius, but has his lapses. And offensively he struggles with diversity of playcalling. However, with Josh McDaniels and his offensive playbook, expect a bit better in that area, which should translate to a better record for Coach Winuvas in the long term.

Keep up with all Broncos coverage on our website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas: First Impressions

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

Coach Winuvas, fresh from his stint in South Carolina in the SEC, flew in from Columbia to Denver, Colorado to witness his first practices with the team.

Overall, the coach liked what he saw from his front seven, particularly outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil and newly acquired nose tackle Jamal Williams.

"Elvis (Dumervil) is a beast outside. He brings the heat every snap. He's got a non-stop motor which will benefit our new attitude 3-4 scheme. He'll pretty much be pinning his ears back on every play. Hopefully this will create some line issues and free up (outside linebacker) Robert Ayers and (middle linebacker) D.J. Williams. With a bonafide veteran 3-4 nose in Jamal Williams, we have the front three to take up five offensive linemen and give those linebackers space to work," Coach Winuvas mused in between drills.

The coach, however, was not as thrilled with the offensive side of the ball.

"Our guys in the trenches, they are mostly quality. (Left tackle Ryan) Clady anchors this line and is the best left tackle in the league. Period. Our right side, though, is our strong side, with Chris Kuper and Ryan Harris at guard and tackle, respectively. (Halfback) Knowshon Moreno is a kid on the rise, and so is (wide receiver) Eddie Royal and (rookie wide receiver) Demaryius Thomas. Those two are special, speedy receivers. But they are raw still, all of them. Our skill players need some polish. (Quarterback) Kyle Orton is as steady as they come but any quarterback needs some help from his skill positions. Hopefully these guys get up to speed quickly and help us win some ball games," Coach Winuvas said.

Coach Winuvas also talked briefly about his relationship with newly demoted offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

"Look, Josh is in a tough spot right now. He's been asked to take a backseat to a new guy who still has as much, if not more, to prove than he (Josh) does. Josh has been completely professional in all my encounters with him thus far. That's all you can expect. I hope that we can work together to get a quality product on the field for the fans in Denver."

So do the fans in Denver, Coach Winuvas. A quality product has not been seen in Denver since #7 roamed the sidelines. You know who I am talking about, folks. Can Coach Winuvas bring that kind of fire back to the Broncos? Owner Pat Bowlen is betting on it. I'll hold my chips for now until I see more worth betting on.

Get all your Broncos information on the franchise website:

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Preseason: Pittsburgh (27) at Denver (34)

Steelers' Big Plays Not Enough in Broncos W

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

When a team has 421 yards of total offense, 15 first downs, 227 rushing yards and 194 passing yards and scores 34 points, while holding the opposing offense to 166 yards total offense and no offensive points, you'd think blowout, right?

Not in Denver.

The Denver Broncos, while dominant in the statistical categories, were barely able to squeak out a 34-27 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Invesco Field at Mile High earlier today. Three crucial Broncos turnovers led to 21 immediate Steeler points, and a special teams lapse led to the Steelers' only other points of the day when returner Stephen Logan ran back a Matt Prater kickoff 105 yards for a touchdown.

"Ridiculous. Glad it's preseason, as that garbage won't be tolerated in the regular season," Coach Winuvas grumbled at his post game press conference.

The scoring began with a Denver drive that ended in an 8 yard rumble by Correll Buckhalter for a touchdown. The extra point was inexplicably hooked wide left to keep the score at 6-0.

The second quarter saw two more Denver drives end in touchdowns, one being a run by Knowshon Moreno for a yard, and a 13 yard pass from quarterback Kyle Orton to rookie wideout Demaryius Thomas. The half ended with a 20-0 Broncos lead.

The Steelers, however, turned on the big play machine and commenced to chewing up their deficit one quick score at a time. An interception in the red zone was taken 98 yards by cornerback Ike Taylor to the house. Steelers linebacker James Farrior then returned a Knowshon Moreno fumble 73 yards for another defensive touchdown.

Denver responded in the third quarter with a big play of their own. Kyle Orton spotted single coverage on a streak route with rookie receiver Demaryius Thomas and hit him in stride for a 60 yard romp. The ensuing kickoff was taken to the house by Stefan Logan for a 105 yard touchdown to make the score 27-20 to end the third quarter.

The fourth quarter saw another special teams gaffe by Denver, as Eddie Royal muffed a punt and watched Josh Burnett return it 12 yards for another Steeler score which tied the game at 27.

However, Kyle Orton and Knowshon Moreno led the Broncos down the field one more time and scored with 3:44 left to take, and hold, the lead down.

The biggest thing helping the Broncos in victory: a stingy defense which arranged six takeaways, five of which were interceptions of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The final takeaway was a Rashard Mendenhall fumble deep in Broncos territory which killed a Steeler drive.

The Broncos mustered a fairly balanced attack, with quarterback Kyle Orton completing 14 of 22 passes for 215 yards and 2 touchdowns to go with 1 interceptions. Second year running back Knowshon Moreno carried 22 times for 133 yards and 2 touchdowns on the ground. Jabar Gaffney led all Broncos receivers with 4 receptions for 33 yards, but Demaryius Thomas had the big catches, nabbing 3 balls for 89 yards and the 2 Orton touchdowns.

The star of the defense was cornerback Andre Goodman, who grabbed 3 interceptions of Roethlisberger. Defensive end Justin Bannan, however, had 5 tackles, with 4 of those tackles for loss.

For the Steelers, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went 10 of 22 for 120 yards and 5 interceptions. Running back Rashard Mendenhall had 11 carries for 55 yards. Antwaan Randle El had the best day of the Steelers receivers with 3 catches for 28 yards. Free safety Ryan Clark led all Steeler defenders with 7 tackles.

Rookie quarterback Tim Tebow also made his debut for the Broncos, playing in limited sets during the game. He did not attempt a pass; however, he did run 4 times for 68 yards, including a late first half run that set up a potential field goal before the first half ended.

"We're just figuring things out here," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "We still have lots of question marks. One thing is for sure, though: Our defense can play."

The Broncos defense allowed only 166 yards of total offense, with 56 rushing yards to go with 110 passing yards. The Steelers only gained 8 first downs (to the Broncos' 15) and were held in time of possession to 10:04 (compared to the Broncos' 17:56). While not getting but a single sack on Big Ben, the Broncos defense harrassed Roethlisberger all day with a constant pass rush, sending players from everywhere it seemed on every down.

"We will attack. We will be aggressive. We will take chances. We will succeed on defense," Coach Winuvas guaranteed. "On offense, we have to just take care of the ball better and do a better job of game management. If we do that...."

Coach Winuvas let those words trail off. If he can take these next three preseason games to get his special teams in order and work on offensive execution, the sky is the limit.

Keep up with all Broncos coverage on the franchise website:

4. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Dude Im going to have to employ your awesome write-up skills a couple times this season

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

No problem man.

Although I'm surprised that no one has caught the name of my current "blogger". Go look up his last name if you're curious and you'll get a chuckle I think. Or be very disturbed.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas Trying out Tebow

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

With an anemic first week of rushing the football by the Broncos, Coach Winuvas went back to the drawing board with his offensive line, running backs, and third string rookie quarterback Tim Tebow.

"We've got to get (running back Knowshon) Moreno going, and to do that, we have to get better blocking up front. We also need a new threat to take some guys off of Moreno, and that will be our wild card - Tebow," Coach Winuvas said after practice on Tuesday.

Tebow was seen working with the first team offense, mostly involving quick reads and running when nothing is there for him to look at.

"We want (Tim) Tebow to not be thinking much out there right now. As a rookie, we want to keep it simple for him and let him use his God given talent to make a play and just flat out win. He's a winner - no matter what you may say about his 'funky delivery', or his 'below average arm', it's bull(expletive). He's a winner. Period. He's a playmaker. Period. He'll get on the field more this week," Coach Winuvas commented.

Questions about current starting quarterback Kyle Orton quickly followed, and Coach Winuvas was having none of the discussion of a "quarterback controversy".

"(Quarterback Kyle) Orton is our starter. I cannot make that clear enough to you wonderful media folks. Kyle Orton is our starter. Tim Tebow is NOT our starter. Do I need crayons and paper to spell it out to you media folk?" Coach Winuvas sarcastically said to reporters.

Concern over star linebacker Elvis Dumervil's thumb concerned the coach as well, but he quickly dismissed the hole he has to fill with reserve linebackers Jarvis Moss, Cameron Sheffield, and Curtis Gatewood.

"We have to make do until (Elvis) Dumervil's ready to go. Trainer says it should be another week or two till he's cleared to play again. Until then, Jarvis (Moss), Cameron (Sheffield), and Curtis (Gatewood) will rotate. Hopefully that will build some strong depth at our outside linebacker spot since right now we don't look like we have much to the outside world. I have confidence in all these guys, though," Coach Winuvas said of Dumervil.

Doctors have said that Dumervil's thumb is a minor injury, but one that would need at least 10-14 days to set and heal properly. After the gashing of the Denver run defense by Jacksonville in a week 1 loss, Coach Winuvas was none too happy about talking defense to the media.

"(Expletive) yeah, I'm upset. Aren't YOU upset as a fan of this team? That was (expletive) embarassing. I don't care if you're a high school team. You should play better run defense than that. Better effort will be there against Seattle this week. I assure you of that," Coach Winuvas asserted.

Coach Winuvas appears to be looking for some sizzle on offense in the form of first round draft pick Tim Tebow, and better effort from his defense in the run game. Will he be satisfied? We'll all see next Sunday.

Keep up with all your Broncos coverage on the franchise website:

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Broncos Win Close, Turnover-Laden Game

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

The Indianapolis Colts came into Invesco Field at Mile High this Sunday with confidence even with an 0-2 start. After five turnovers by quarterback Peyton Manning, the Colts still managed to make it a close game in Denver, but a last second field goal by Broncos kicker Matt Prater secured a 31-29 win for Denver.

The scoring started with a quality drive by Indianapolis. Peyton Manning made crisp passes across the middle to tight end Jacob Tamme and wide receiver Pierre Garcon to get a 27 yard touchdown.

Denver then moved the ball down the field, sneaking third-string quarterback Tim Tebow in a goal line formation. Tebow then used his playmaking skills to run a 7 yard touchdown. A missed extra point by kicker Matt Prater finished the scoring of the first quarter at 7-6.

Kicker Matt Prater was erratic on extra points, but money on long field goals, making a 45 yard field goal and a 20 yard field goal after interceptions of Peyton Manning. A 5 yard touchdown pass from Kyle Orton to Eddie Royal, along with a missed extra point, finished the first half at 18-7.

Midway through the third quarter, another slant hit from Orton to Royal made the score 25-7 after Prater finally made an extra point attempt. Two quick drives by the Colts (one of which was initiated by an Eddie Royal fumble) late in the third quarter made the score 25-20 going into the fourth quarter.

A third touchdown drive early in the fourth quarter by the Colts on a strike from Peyton Manning to receiver Austin Collie made the score 26-25 after Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri missed his second extra point of the game.

Exchanges of field goals by the Colts and Broncos made the score 29-28 late in the fourth quarter. With backup Brady Quinn being ineffective after Orton bruised his ribs earlier in the quarter, Coach Winuvas subbed Tebow in to run the two minute offense. Tebow converted a crucial third down play with a 23 yard run to get Prater within field goal range, and he delivered with :02 left to earn Denver the 31-29 final.

"The wind in Denver was whipping today, causing some serious issues at the ends of the stadium. That is what the architects explain to me anyway. Ridiculous if you ask me," Coach Winuvas said of the wind issues with extra points.

The Indianapolis Colts had a decent passing attack from Manning, who completed 24 of 42 passes for 329 yards and 4 touchdowns. However, five interceptions were costly in stopping drives by the Colts. Indy's running attack was non-existent, however, as halfback Joseph Addai ran 8 times for only 7 yards. On the receiving end, tight end Jacob Tamme was channeling his inner Dallas Clark, replacing the Pro Bowl tight end adequately with 8 catches for 122 yards and a touchdown. Defensively, the Colts' Antoine Bethea had 5 tackles and a forced fumble in the close loss.

For Denver, all three quarterbacks got action in this game. Starter Kyle Orton went 12 of 21 for 137 yards and 2 touchdowns. Backup Brady Quinn, who came in early in the fourth after Orton injured his ribs, went 7 of 14 for 62 yards. Tim Tebow, in limited plays, went 2 of 3 for 7 yards. Tebow's big play ability came on the ground, as he rushed 3 times for 30 key yards, including a touchdown and a 23 yard romp to set up the winning field goal. Halfback Knowshon Moreno was the workhorse, running 20 times for 95 yards. Receiving was shared by receivers Eddie Royal (6 receptions for 57 yards and 2 touchdowns) and Eric Decker (6 receptions for 49 yards), and on the defensive side, dime cornerback Perrish Cox, a rookie out of Oklahoma State, had 2 picks of Peyton Manning.

"Overall, I'm pleased with our performance, but not with our consistency on both sides of the ball," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "We have to do a better job of third down shutdowns on defense, and better first down execution on offense. We'll also be working on extra points in practice, which I can't believe I have to talk about."

Balance was key for Denver, as 188 of their 318 total offensive yards were through the air, and 130 yards were on the ground. Time of possession helped immensely, as Denver had the ball just over 4 minutes more than Indianapolis in the victory. Holding a team to 7 yards total rushing is definitely a good point on the defensive side of the ball as well, which is what Denver's defense did.

"Proud of those guys up front. (Defensive tackle) Jamal Williams was stout, as well as (defensive ends) Justin Bannan and Ryan McBean, in run defense. That allowed our guys in the linebacking corps time to get after Peyton and rush his progressions a bit," Coach Winuvas said of his defense.

With Jason Taylor showing up later this week in a trade from the New York Jets, Coach Winuvas was asked how he would integrate Taylor in with stud outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil.

"Jason Taylor is a skilled pass rushing veteran who knows how to play the game. We put him outside with Dumervil and let those two just pin their ears back and get after a quarterback on every play, and play stout defense behind those guys in coverage, and we'll be a force every week we show up on defense," Coach Winuvas said of Taylor. "Jason is a quality guy and player who can help coach up our reserves in Jarvis Moss, Cameron Sheffield, and Curtis Gatewood, and help our defense at the same time."

Denver (2-1) rides a two game winning streak into Tennessee to take on Coach Ox and the Titans, while the Colts (0-3) try to find some answers in Jacksonville against Coach Dunlap and his Jaguars.

Can Coach Winuvas keep the streak rolling against a tough Tennessee team? Can Tim Tebow surprise the Titans like he did the Colts? Only time will tell.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Broncos Welcome Taylor to Denver

[​IMG]

Outside linebacker Jason Taylor walks off Jets practice field after being informed of a trade to Denver this Tuesday.

In an effort to bolster the linebacking corps of his team, Coach Winuvas has worked with general manager Brian Xanders to acquire veteran pass rusher Jason Taylor from the New York Jets.

The Jets were busy over the last week, acquiring stud wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Jr. from the Lions in a blockbuster trade. However, worries over cap space caused the Jets and Broncos to begin discussions to send Taylor to Denver.

"We're fortunate that (Jason) Taylor sort of fell into our laps. We're very happy to get him here, though. We feel like this makes our defense that much better," Coach Winuvas said when he found out of league approval for the trade.

Denver sends a young and talented outside linebacker in Robert Ayers and veteran middle linebacker Akin Ayodele in exchange for Taylor.

"I texted Jason asking him about how he felt about coming here to Denver. He called me and we talked at length about our expectations here and what we want and need out of him. He seemed happy about our discussions from what I could tell," Coach Winuvas said. "With Jason Taylor and Elvis Dumervil on the outside, we have a ton of quality pass rushing talent that I feel cannot be matched by any other two linebackers out there in the OMFL."

Taylor made the first available flight out to Denver and will be with the team on Wednesday morning for a walkthrough and gameplanning session before the team flies out to Nashville to take on the Tennessee Titans.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

T.O. to Mile High?

[​IMG]

Bengals WR Terrell Owens talking to media about rumors of his trade to Denver.

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

Numerous sources have told the Denver Post that Coach Winuvas of the Denver Broncos has managed to talk owner Pat Bowlen and general manager Brian Xanders into acquiring veteran star wide receiver, and known problem child, Terrell Owens to ignite their offense.

Owens, 36, has lost a step in recent years. However, Coach Winuvas feels that his big-play ability will give quarterback Kyle Orton a dependable target in the passing game.

"Look, say what you will about Owens' attitude, and his tendency to be a problem child for coaches and quarterbacks alike. I'm in charge here. Kyle Orton is the quarterback here. If he is coming here, he'll be the number one guy at wide receiver. He better teach (rookie wide receivers) Damaryius Thomas and Eric Decker how to play wide receiver in this league as well as be a guy who will score touchdowns," Coach Winuvas said of the potential Owens trade.

Owens was seen talking to the media after Bengals practice about a potential trade.

"Look, man, if these guys in Cincy don't want me and (wide receiver Chad) Ochocinco together anymore, and to see us tear up offenses, that's their loss," Owens said of the trade rumors.

A proposal to league offices gotten by the Denver Post showed the Broncos giving up wide receivers Eddie Royal and Marko Mitchell in the deal. The deal's centerpiece, Terrell Owens, would be joined by reserve wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe in the deal.

The deal is still under league review at this time, according to multiple anonymous sources. Those same sources informed me that Coach Winuvas is hoping that the deal goes through before next week's game versus the Titans.

With this deal, the Broncos get a legitimate receiver that they gave up this past offseason in Brandon Marshall. The question is: will it be enough to get the Broncos to the top of the AFC West?

Keep up with all your Broncos coverage on the franchise site:

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Owens Officially a Bronco

[​IMG]

Former Bengals WR Terrell Owens waves goodbye to media as he heads to the airport to fly to Denver.

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

Well, Broncos fans, love him or hate him, Terrell Owens is now a Denver Bronco.

The news became official just as teams are supposed to report roster changes (if any) for next week's games. The trade itself was approved at the last minute, allowing Owens to suit up for Denver's week 4 game against the Tennessee Titans.

The trade sends Owens and reserve wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe to Denver in exchange for second year receivers Eddie Royal and Marko Mitchell.

"We got us a legit number one receiver now in Owens. I like what we got too in (Dezmon) Briscoe," Coach Winuvas said once he heard the deal went through. "I hope Eddie (Royal) does well in Cincinnati. I think he's a fine receiver. Just didn't fit my personal offensive style. Wish him nothing but the best though. He did everything we asked him to do."

Now, the big question is, will Owens do the same?

"He's going to, or he's gonna find his time in Denver very unpleasant. I got no problem sitting stud players on the bench. He's got a problem with me? Tell him to call up Larry Johnson. Ask HIM what I do to players who don't play up to their potential and play MY way," Coach Winuvas tersely answered.

Coach Winuvas, of course, refers to his time as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs when he and then star running back Larry Johnson butted heads. It ended with the Chiefs sending Johnson out of town and starting second stringer Jamaal Charles. Charles is now a legitimate number one starter in the OMFL with the Chiefs.

"(Larry) Johnson was a headcase. Young, talented, but headstrong. So was I. I think it says a lot about both of us that we got back together for a bit in Tampa Bay when I was down there," Coach Winuvas said of his relationship with Larry Johnson. "Terrell Owens is a great receiver. He's a competitor. He wants to win. So do I. So does this franchise. As long as he understands that, although he is the number one receiver here, he is PART of a TEAM, our relationship will be fine. If he can't grasp that, then he'll sit the bench until he does."

Terrell Owens is scheduled to meet with the team Wednesday morning for a walkthrough, then be set to fly out to Nashville and practice in Tennessee on Thursday with the team.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Fumbles Kill Broncos in Tennessee

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

A wet stadium in Nashville was the site of the Broncos-Titans matchup this Sunday. Apparently, the ball was very slick, as four fumbles by Denver, 2 of which were lost to the Titans, and two interceptions killed any chance at a three game winning streak for the Broncos as they were destroyed 45-14.

The first quarter's only scoring was on a screen pass from Titans quarterback Vince Young to running back Chris Johnson for a 41 yard score. In the second, a mistake toss by Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton was intercepted by Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan and taken back for a touchdown to make the score 14-0 Titans.

Denver recovered a bit, driving down the field and scoring on a Kyle Orton pass to rookie Demaryius Thomas to make the score 14-7. Then, special teams let the Broncos and Coach Winuvas down, as return man Tye Hill took the kickoff back 98 yards for a score and a 21-7 lead with less than a minute to go in the first half.

Denver then went into their two minute offense and quickly moved down the field, scoring on another Orton pass to newcomer Terrell Owens to make the score 21-14 at halftime.

The second half was all Titans, as fumbles by Knowshon Moreno continued to mount to the point where Coach Winuvas yanked him from the ball game, replacing him with Lendale White. Turnovers on downs allowed the Titans to score 17 more points late, sealing the game at 45-14.

"Absolute horse(expletive). These guys claim to be (expletive) professionals. Professionals don't fumble the ball FOUR (expletive) times. FOUR (expletive) TIMES. Are you (expletive) KIDDING ME??? You aren't gonna beat a (expletive) PEE-WEE team with FOUR (expletive) FUMBLES. Thank GOD we had some decent receivers and a decent quarterback out there. Cause our (expletive) running game was absolute horse(expletive)," Coach Winuvas yelled at his post game conference when asked about his team's performance.

For the Titans, quarterback Vince Young went 5 of 12 for 109 yards and 3 touchdowns. Backup Kerry Collins was inserted late and went 2 of 4 for 28 yards. In the running game, Titans coach Ox played it light with Chris Johnson, coming off an abdominal strain. Johnson ran 14 times for 60 yards, but with the exception of a 47 yard jaunt late, was pretty well contained. Backup Javon Ringer carried the ball 8 times for 41 yards, and reserve running back LaGarrette Blount ran 8 times for 34 yards and a late touchdown. In the receiving game for the Titans, the main target was tight end Bo Scaife, who caught 3 passes for 47 yards. Defensively, linebacker Stephen Tulloch had 7 tackles on the day for Tennessee.

For Denver, quarterback Kyle Orton went 20 of 32 for 260 yards and 2 touchdowns to go with 2 interceptions. In the running game, Knowshon Moreno had 16 carries for 45 yards but 4 costly fumbles. Three Broncos receivers had 5 catches, including Terrell Owens, newly acquired in a trade from Cincinnati. Defensively, linebacker Jason Taylor had 5 tackles before leaving in the fourth quarter with a mild strain of his ACL. He is currently day-to-day, according to trainers.

In a game where the Broncos outgained the Titans by 80 yards, the turnovers and fumbles killed any rallies that Denver tried to muster.

"Coach Ox has a good squad, but I felt like we had a good gameplan against his defense today," Coach Winuvas said. "But when you have 4 turnovers, and you give the defense two more chances to get the ball in fumbles we were lucky to recover, it don't matter WHAT kind of plan you got - you ain't gonna win."

Knowshon Moreno was contrite after the game, knowing he was now in the coach's doghouse.

"I deserve it," Moreno said to reporters in the locker room after the game. "I cost us the game."

Denver now searches for answers against Baltimore and the Ravens next week. The Titans, rejuvenated, travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys.

Will Coach Winuvas find the answers? Or will he once again fall to the bottom of the OMFL?

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Moreno Trade Rumors, Tebow Upgrade

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

During a rugged practice session on Tuesday after an embarrassing performance in Tennessee this past Sunday, Coach Winuvas answered some questions regarding personnel, namely quarterback Tim Tebow and running back Knowshon Moreno.

"Knowshon (Moreno) fumbled four times in last week's loss. FOUR. Right now, he's working with the scout team. (Reserve running backs) Lendale White and Justin Fargas are sharing time with the number one offense. The phone is open to suitors for Knowshon, but we know his value, and will not accept less than equal value, in our eyes, in a trade should one come up. If not, then he'll be in a Broncos uniform the rest of the season," Coach Winuvas said of Moreno's current doghouse status.

On Tebow's possible upgrade to #2 on the depth chart, Coach Winuvas smiled a bit.

"(Backup quarterback) Brady (Quinn) has been solid in practice. But Tim (Tebow) is coming along nicely. Faster than I had thought he would, to be honest. (Current starting quarterback Kyle) Orton is firmly our starter. However, Tebow has done enough on the field to warrant a look as our number two guy behind Orton," Coach Winuvas said.

Calls have been made to journeyman quarterback Derek Anderson, who has a big arm but has only had one solid year in the league as Cleveland's starter three years ago to show for it.

"We worked a few guys out in free agency that we felt could lend a veteran, dependable presence as a guy we could lean on," Coach Winuvas said. "We brought in one or two guys that, quite frankly, would shock some people I think. Overall, though, it was a close competition, but we are hoping Derek will take our offer sheet and come into our system and help us be better while teaching Tim (Tebow) the ropes."

Rumored other quarterbacks that Coach Winuvas worked out were former number one draft pick Jamarcus Russell, second year man Mike Teel, and veteran Dante Culpepper, along with Anderson. Unnamed sources also say that, in a shock to this reporter, Jamarcus Russell was leading the charge as the new #3 quarterback and was close to signing with the Broncos until some legal trouble in his hometown of Mobile got the team shying away from putting his name to a contract.

With the running back free agency class scarce, however, Coach Winuvas will either have to depend on journeymen like Correll Buckhalter, Justin Fargas, and LenDale White to carry the load for the Denver running attack, or talk up Knowshon Moreno back to the number one running back spot. Skillwise, he is the best back on this team. Confidence-wise, however, Coach Winuvas has faith in everyone but him. Not good times in Denver offensively right now.

More as it develops.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Quinn Replaced by Anderson...Again

[​IMG]

Quarterback Brady Quinn (middle) with Broncos QBs Tim Tebow (left) and Kyle Orton (right).

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

In a rush of free agent moves aiming to get more personnel to his liking, Coach Winuvas has cut former first round draft pick Brady Quinn in favor of journeyman Derek Anderson, among other moves.

Sources say that Coach Winuvas, while happy with Quinn's performance in practice sessions, was not overly impressed with Quinn, particularly his arm strength. Anderson, while not as accurate as Quinn, has a bigger arm and can make all the throws.

"Brady (Quinn) is a good kid. Just isn't great at any one thing. (Derek) Anderson will be the number three guy here behind (Tim) Tebow and (Kyle) Orton. I don't need four quarterbacks right now. So Quinn is the odd man out," Coach Winuvas said after practice Tuesday.

In other moves, Coach Winuvas signed guards Jamey Richard and Shawn Murphy, cornerback Joshua Moore, and defensive end/tackle Lamar Divens.

To make room on the roster, the Broncos cut some fairly big name players, including former starters on the defensive line in Jarvis Green and Ronald Fields, as well as recently signed guard Kendall Simmons. Also cut was cornerback Nathan Jones, a former punt returner and kick returner for the club.

"We are trying to get players that fit the system in our fold right now," Coach Winuvas said of the cuts. "(Defensive end) Jarvis (Green) and (defensive tackle) Ronald (Fields) are good players but just didn't quite fit the mold of a 3-4 set we have in place. (Guard) Kendall Simmons couldn't quite get down with playing left guard in our scheme. And Nathan Jones at corner...was a tough cut. I liked him but saw something special in (Joshua) Moore. They will all catch on with some other team."

As Coach Winuvas goes through more turnover trying to get his team in place, will all his efforts be in vain? Or will Coach Winuvas' turnover of talent earn him some victories and a playoff berth?

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Revis Island No Tourist Spot in Broncos Loss

[​IMG]

Jets superstar CB Darrelle Revis talks to reporters after his performance Sunday.

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

Well, Coach Winuvas knew that "Revis Island" was a dangerous place to travel. He knew footballs that go towards that island mysteriously disappear into end zones, never to return. Yet Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis managed to own the game, getting two key interceptions and scoring seven points. Those seven points proved to be the difference on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Denver in a Jets 27-20 victory over the Broncos.

The game started with Denver getting the ball and moving down the field, scoring on a 23 yard pass from rookie backup quarterback Tim Tebow to rookie wide receiver Eric Decker for a 7-0 lead.

"That was a read option for Tim (Tebow)," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "If he saw nothing open, he could run with it. He saw Decker and nailed him with a pass. Good play."

The New York Jets answered with a powerful running attack that punished the front seven for Denver all game long, ending in a Shonn Greene 12 yard romp to tie the score at 7 midway through the first quarter.

The Jets' defense stiffened after the first Broncos drive, and while Denver could move the ball effectively enough, they were stifled and had to settle for a Matt Prater field goal late in the first to end the quarter at 10-7 Broncos.

The second quarter saw little scoring, but what scoring there was came off the foot of Jets kicker Nick Folk, as he nailed two field goals to take the Jets into the locker room at 13-10.

"That second quarter was rough on our offense. A fumble and an interception on a great play by (Jets linebacker) Calvin Pace on that other side. Orton saw an opening and tried to thread it, but Pace just hopped in that window and shut it down. Tip your cap to him on that one; great play," Coach Winuvas said of the quarter shutout at his post-game conference.

The third quarter was all Broncos, as their defense continued to harass Mark Sanchez and force the Jets to keep the ball on the ground to sustain any consistent drives. Denver running back Knowshon Moreno capped a drive midway through the third quarter with a 2 yard run, and a Matt Prater field goal with less than two minutes left in the quarter gave the Broncos a 20-13 lead heading into the fourth.

"Well, we should have scored on that drive where we got three," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "That was huge for their defense. We got down to the 2 yard line after we recovered a fumble on a kickoff, and instead of punching it in for 7, we only got 3 from (Denver kicker Matt) Prater. Put some momentum back on their side."

The fourth quarter was owned by New York, as their running attack pounded the Denver defense into submission with a 4 yard touchdown run. Then, the ensuing possession by Denver saw Orton hit as he threw in Darrelle Revis' direction. Revis grabbed the ball in midair and hustled 32 yards for the go-ahead touchdown, which proved to be the game winner. A late drive by Denver stalled at the 8 yard line when Tim Tebow threw the third, and final, interception by Denver quarterbacks on the day. It was another pick by Revis.

"I know that guy is special," Coach Winuvas said of Revis after the game. "That last one (thrown by Tebow) was tough. You hate to see a kid go out there, try, and get beat like that. That close to paydirt and you miss a wide open receiver on one play, and then you just throw it into coverage. Sickening loss, I tell ya."

The Broncos, statwise, were better than their counterparts on the day. Denver amassed 320 yards of total offense to the Jets' 205. The Jets' passing attack was limited to 82 yards of passing by Mark Sanchez, who went 9 of 14 on the day. The Jets' running game was led by Shonn Greene, who ran 14 times for 77 yards and 2 touchdowns. Ladainian Tomlinson also had 9 carries for 30 yards. Tight end Dustin Keller was Sanchez's most popular target, nabbing 3 balls for 35 yards on the day. Defensively, cornerback Antonio Cromartie had 5 tackles, but the star was Revis, who had two interceptions, one being a pick six.

The Broncos were led in the passing attack by Kyle Orton, who threw for 193 yards on 14 of 22 passing. However, Orton had 2 interceptions on the day. The only touchdown was thrown by backup quarterback Tim Tebow, which was his only completion on the day on 1 of 4 passing.

The disappointing running attack continued on this day, with Knowshon Moreno carring the ball 19 times for only 66 yards but getting a touchdown. Receiver Eric Decker led all targets with 5 receptions for 86 yards and a touchdown. Defensively, outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil had 4 tackles and 2 sacks of Sanchez on the day.

"I don't know which way I'd rather lose," Coach Winuvas said of this close loss. "Getting blown out or getting your heart ripped out. Personally, if I'm gonna lose, I'd rather not be in the game at all. Being that close to a potential victory, and then losing it at the end...it's a tough one to swallow. This one will be with me for a while."

Coach Winuvas is now 3-3 heading into a divisional matchup with the Oakland Raiders next week. The Jets (4-2) head back home to enjoy a week off before welcoming the Green Bay Packers to town in two weeks.

Can Coach Winuvas get the ship steadied and put a win back on the board against a division opponent in the Raiders? We shall see.

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Broncos Lose Key Division Game and Key Player

[​IMG]

Broncos HB Knowshon Moreno running hard before his injury in the third quarter against the Raiders.

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

Coach Winuvas came into this Sunday's game with a chance to take sole possession of first place in the AFC West against their hated rivals, the Oakland Raiders. Instead of making a statement against the Raiders, the Broncos stuttered and stumbled, falling 20-13 in Denver.

Both offenses had trouble getting going against tough defensive showings by both squads. The first scoring came early in the second quarter as Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski kicked a 42 yard field goal through the uprights to give the Raiders a 3-0 lead.

Kyle Orton, ineffective during the first three quarters, led the team down the field using Knowshon Moreno and the running game to get into field goal range for Matt Prater, who evened the score at 3 with a 37 yard field goal.

An interception by Orton deep in his own territory got Coach Winuvas' ire up, and after another Janikowski field goal to make the score 6-3, Tim Tebow made his entry into the game for a quarter and a half.

However, Tebow had little success against the stout Raiders defense, and another turnover led to a fourth down touchdown run by Raiders halfback Michael Bush to end the half at 13-3.

With no scoring occuring in the third quarter as both defenses continued their stranglehold on the control of the game, Coach Winuvas went back to Orton for the fourth quarter. Orton responded to the benching, getting the team moving and hitting wide receiver Demaryius Thomas for a 9 yard touchdown pass.

The Denver Broncos defense, gassed from playing too many downs, slipped up in coverage, and a wide open Chaz Schilens catch turned into a 69 yard touchdown romp to get the score at 20-10.

Denver would drive late to get another field goal, but after getting the ball back with one time out and a minute left, the offense fluttered and stalled after going for it on fourth down near midfield.

For the Broncos, Orton went 13 of 28 for 155 yards with a touchdown and an interception on the day. Tebow only threw three passes while he was out there; he went 1 of 3 for 8 yards.

In the running game, Knowshon Moreno had 8 carries for 30 yards before a vicious hit in the third quarter ended his season with what team doctors are saying is a herniated disk. An MRI is scheduled for Tuesday, but Coach Winuvas has been informed that unless the Broncos make a serious playoff run, Moreno's season is over.

"That really hurt me," Coach Winuvas said of Moreno's injury. "The guy has been working his butt off all season and was seeing some daylight today against a stout Raiders front four. Then he just got popped, and it looked bad from where I was. I just hope he can come back next year and help us if we don't get into the playoffs."

For the Broncos receiving corps, Demaryius Thomas got 4 catches for 39 yards and a touchdown, while Terrell Owens had 3 catches for 42 yards. Rookie Eric Decker had 2 catches for 54 yards.

For Oakland, Jason Campbell was solid, if not spectacular, going 16 of 29 for 245 yards, a touchdown, and an interception. The Raiders' rushers were stymied all game long by a stout run defense mustered by defensive tackle Jamal Williams and the guys up front. Bryan Westbrook had only 5 yards on 10 carries, while Michael Bush had 4 carries for only 19 yards. Darren McFadden had 12 yards on 7 carries.

"Happy with our run defense this game," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "Can't fault our front seven this game with the loss. We didn't do right by them on offense."

For Raiders receivers, the hero was Chaz Schilens, who had 3 catches for 97 yards and a touchdown. Darren McFadden had 3 catches for 50 yards.

"Look, we didn't have a good game offensively, but that Raiders defense was stifling all game long. Sometimes you gotta tip your cap to the other guy. Coach Savaunte had his guys geared up to beat us and get back in the AFC West Race. He did what he had to do. We didn't. Now we gotta go back to the drawing board and get ready for a tough 49ers squad that is hungry to get a win as well," Coach Winuvas said in his post-game conference.

After 7 weeks, Coach Winuvas sits at 3-4 and tied for the lead in the weak AFC West with the Chargers and Raiders. Can he right the ship against the 49ers and get to 4-4 going into the bye week? We will see.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas Turns to White

[​IMG]

New Broncos starting RB Lendale White is all smiles during practice after Coach Winuvas' announcement.

by Myles Gelding
    Blogger, Denver Post

After Tuesday's practice, Coach Winuvas has made it clear who the number 1 halfback is behind Kyle Orton next Sunday versus the San Francisco 49ers.

"(Lendale) White has worked hard in practice to get back to the number two spot behind Moreno. I brought in veteran Justin Fargas to push White a bit, and it seems to have worked. White doesn't have the speed of (injured starting halfback Knowshon) Moreno, but he's got more punch into the interior so we can maybe try to play some ball control offense. Hopefully we can stymie the 49ers defense and get some points on the ground and set Orton up better than we have in previous weeks," Coach Winuvas said of his running back controversy.

Justin Fargas will be the #2 back behind White, and veteran Correll Buckhalter will be the #3 man and stay on special teams.

While most OMFL prognosticators see Buckhalter as the best back on the team, Coach Winuvas doesn't agree - totally.

"Look, (Correll) Buckhalter is a quality back. What is nice about this setup we have is that even without Knowshon (Moreno), we have three quality backs we can turn to. Correll is better right now in the pass game, but he will be our third down back since he's got good hands and still has a quick burst," Coach Winuvas said of Buckhalter.

Some offensive players, remaining anonymous, questioned the coach's decision to sit a popular locker room player in Buckhalter and relegate him to special teams. Coach Winuvas answered those concerns.

"Buckhalter has a history of injury. I need him to stay healthy. That means we limit his time on the field. Simple as that. It's got absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about him, or how he feels about me. It's simply history of his body. I would rather use him 10 plays a game and have him available than run him 30 plays a game and lose him like we just did our star halfback," Coach Winuvas said.

Coach Winuvas has also been looking at the Denver defensive playbook, trying to think of schemes to help get more pressure on the quarterback. He's been seen putting in reserve defensive tackle Chris Baker in as a fourth defensive lineman in a 4-3 style scheme. Could this be a change brewing or just some hot air to give the 49ers something else to prepare for? Stay tuned.