Miners Downgrade Hurricanes To Tropical Depression

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Jul 31, 2011.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Jul 29, 2010
    Saturday was Senior Day at the Bowl. 18 Miners were playing their final game in El Paso and they were determined to head out with a win. Early on, that looked like a pipe dream. UTEP found themselves down 17-3 a minute into the second quarter as the Miner defense struggled mightily to stop the no huddle spread (shocker, I know). To make things worse, the Miners offense faced a 3rd and 30 following a sack fumble that UTEP was able to jump on. UTEP quarterback Carson Meger dropped back and heaved a prayer towards Marlon McClure. McClure somehow came away with the ball and beat two Tulsa defenders to the endzone for an 86 yard touchdown grab. Just like that, we had a game.

UTEP would go on to win 44-31. The UTEP offense executed at probably their highest level of the season. They threw it and ran it well. Meger threw for 240 and backup senior tailback Vernon Frazier broke the 100 yard mark for the 3rd time this season.

Senior cornerback and captain Trayvaun Nixon picked off a pair of Tulsa passes on the day. When asked to describe his day, Nixon said, "This season has been a dream. We got Coach Weaver here and things changed immediately. I mean, he is a great man, mentor, coach, motivator...he's been like a dad to me. I am so grateful to have him as a coach. If I were to create a new Mount Rushmore, I just just put 4 sculptures of him up there, he is that great."

The Miners conclude their regular season with a trip to Orlando to take on the nationally ranked Knights of UCF.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Jul 17, 2010
    • Like Like x 1