Mini Preview, Miami Hurricanes at Georgia Bulldogs

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Mini Preview, Miami Hurricanes at Georgia Bulldogs

Preview of Miami at Georgia

The offenses don't play against each other we all know that, but for the purpose of doing this easily I will compare this way:

Throwers

Georgia - James Scales, 89 OVR FR - the redshirt freshman has thrown for 2,510 yards and 26 touchdowns with just 6 interceptions. The best thing about him seems to be his willingness to learn and improve. After Thomas Cody threw for 3,912 yards as a true freshman it looked like he might not play for a long time. But he was clearly the better player after the offseason. he has almost as good of an arm, his awareness is not spectacular but is solid, and he is a really good athlete. He can run a little and when he makes contact he really packs a punch. We don't run with him that often, however, and due to sacks he's averaging just 1.7 YPC. Coming in as an 83 OVR, he has already gained 6 points including three this season. Well-rounded player, and he's at home so being young doesn't matter as much. Hasn't needed to throw it as much as Cody did, due to the emergence of Mike Anderson.

Miami - SR Jacory Harris, 95 - 2,914 yards, 18 touchdowns, 20 INT on the season. A year after being almost untouchable, Harris is missing some great offensive weapons and has not been the same. His draft status has fallen from possible first rounder to "will he even be drafted?" Nevertheless, he is very talented. Would not be surprised if he turned it up a few notches for this game, but we can't ignore the stats.

Edge: Georgia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runners

Georgia - HB Mike Anderson, 91 OVR FR --- HB Carlton Thomas, 93 OVR JR --- FR FB Dustin Rivera, 86 - Anderson exploded onto the scene in his first season. Leads the nation in runs over 20 yards. Will get stuffed then bust one. 1,756 yards, 6.5 avg, 21 TD on the season for the youngster

Miami - SO HB Lamar Miller, 94 --- SR HB Lee Chambers, 94 --- On this one we're not just going to go with the stats. I know the Miami coach thinks he can run the ball against our team and he's going to be very hard to stop. Miller might not have as many big plays as Anderson, but he's no less capable. And he's a lot stronger. His 1,326 yards, 5.1 average, and 18 rushing touchdowns tell the tale of a solid contributor. look for these two to be even in this game.

Edge: Even

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catchers

Georgia - SO WR Marlon Brown, 93 --- SR WR Tavarres King, 92 ---TE Arthur Lynch, 88 - Sure there are others but this is not a team that typically airs it out. TE Aron White was demoted due to being a pussy and never coming up with the big play. While Lynch isn't a better receiver than White, he's just as fast and can block like a tackle. Marlon Brown has been promised that if he sticks around another year he will see a lot more balls coming his way. He is a big play threat, tall with good hands and adequate speed but we're just (again) not a big yardage passing team.

Miami - SR WR Travis Benjamin, 99 --- SR WR Laron Byrd, 96 --- SO TE Billy Sanders, 84 - The thing that separates the Miami receivers is speed. They've got a ton of it. Size, too. We're going to have our hands full and will especially be looking out for #3 (Benjamin) simply because we don't have anybody that can keep up with him. We expect to see a lot of play action in this game and that will make it even more difficult.

Edge: Miami

Blockers

Georgia - Line, from left to right: 99, 90, 99, 94, 97. Sacks allowed: 38 ----Line has been more effective than last season. A better running back might also help but they have really plowed a nice course for this football team over the course of the season. We've given up a lot of sacks, though. Could be a problem against Miami, obviously. FB Dustin Rivera falls into this category as well. His 99 Run block strength makes for some comical looking confrontations. He will Reggie White linebackers occasionally. As mentioned, TE Arthur Lynch as well as backup TE Bryce Ros (who is on the field more often than our #3 receiver is) can really block.

Miami - Line, from left to right: 99, 87, 94, 95, 96. Sacks allowed: 40 ----Let's face it, this is video game football where 5.0 YPC isn't much. They have allowed just as many sacks as Georgia while not creating nearly as many big plays for their rushers. while the talent level on paper is pretty even, I feel that Georgia has produced better, and has the better accessory blockers in the TE's and FB. With miami's pass rush however, it might not matter.

Edge: Georgia

Defense

I lump defense together because it's not even worth comparing. Miami literally has a professional quality defense. There are no holes. you can look but you won't find them. Massive DT Curtis Porter being out with an injury helps a tad. This dude is another Vince Wilfork... They will miss him. But they have depth galore. We wont have any speed advantage at any WR/CB matchup, or even if the linebackers are covering our tight ends. This is an EASY call, so there's no use breaking down the positions whatsoever.

Edge: Miami, bigtime

I don't call any game I'm involved in but in my opinion the question is, can we slow down Miami's offense? I don't think this is going to be a high-scoring game on our side, so we'd damn well better play some defense. obviously, what we want to do is force Harris into some more mistakes, up that INT total that he's already got inflated quite a bit. I won't reveal our game plan but suffice to say that we can't afford to let Miami get 10 sacks against us, or anything like that. If we give up more than 5, I think our opportunities to win are limited.

2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

You're forgeting probably the most important comparison

Coach Helli - playing great ball, coming off a big win over one of his biggest rivals and thron in his side Mo/GTech

Coach Juggs - playing like shit all season, coming off a bitter defeat/bogus loss to his biggest rival and pain in the ass JMS/V Tech

Huge edge - Georgia

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

There is no reason to think Miami will be able to run against Georgia. They couldn't run against the 3-4 of VA Tech why should they be able to run against the 3-4 of Georgia?

Miami moves the chains on 3rd downs......Hard to stop that Fucker Benjamin. He is Mike's 1st target...if he can find a way to get other receivers/TEs/HBs in the action he will be able to move the ball easier.

Georgia has HUGE edge b/c they have seen MIAMI on TV 3 times and there are 3 videos of them out there. There will be no surprises. Coach Juggs, while he knows Helli's game, is going in more blindly.

Look for a close low scoring 1st half as each team will try to run and each will be unsuccessful. Then the flood gates will open and the ball will be in the air for most of the 2nd half.

If Juggs doesn't throw silly ints in the 2nd half he wins IMO. His defense is very talented and if they worked on catching those potential ints these past weeks they will shut down the unimpressive Georgia offense.

Even though Georgia is favored by 3.5 pts because of Home field advantage and scouting. I smell uspet in Georgia.........27-21 Miami.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I dunno I mean the way we're playing is inherently taken into account in analyzing the numbers. I.E. the only reason I say we have an advantage on offense. :) We're playing better on some levels...

5. jfosh

jfosh Super

Upsets and underdogs going around the league right now.

Miami was the freaking national champion last year, they need to step and show some sack.

Jacory Harris will be the key in this one. For him to have a big day Miami needs to run the ball atleast be a threat to run.

It does help that its @ home for Georgia

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Do all just randomly make up a spread for games.. I always see a spread for your alls games... lol

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am the Official Line Maker of T1.........kthxbye!

8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

ha, I like it but what kind of thinking goes into your Vegas odds? Do you just make it up?

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Its alot......it is 13 seasons of history betweens the coaches, the Home Field, the teams, the rankings, the situation.

10. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Did we adv to week 14 yet?

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yep.