Minnesota Hires Maij17

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by maij17, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Minnesota has announced Coach Maij as their successor to Interim Jeff Horton after their Outback Bowl defeat. Coach Maij has signed a 3 year deal and looks to improve on the Gophers 7-6 season.

"I'm glad to be in Minneapolis, and look forward to the challenge set forth ahead of me. I want to give thanks to Coach Horton and the rest of his staff as they have kept the players motivated when things were tough."

You gave credit to interim coach Jeff Horton and the staff. Wondering if you were planning on keeping anyone around?​

"I will meet with all the offensive staff and Coach Horton, I have a core group of defensive guys that came along as well, being HC I must dabble in all aspects of my team, but the defense is my hallmark and I tend be more involve with it, saying that I need a Offensive Coordinator that I trust as I am mainly a defensive playcaller. In New Mexico, Tim [Montgomery] was a no brainer, he was already established in the area being at New Mexico State and its was logical to keep the spread aspects of the previous regime. I look to do the same here, pro aspects have been establish, I will not look to divert too far from that."​

Can you talk about your style of play and how it fits into the Big 10 maybe with the players that you inherited? Will you have to change a lot of things in your first year as far as the style?​

" Well I would leave that for my Offensive Coordinator when I hire one. Defensively, I will be bringing the 4-2-5 defense to the Big 10, now you may be asking why would I bring defense built on speed to a conference built on power. My answer is simply dont look at the base defense as just a nickel set. We are allowed more flexibility, I call it more of a Multiple defense then a nickel set. If we feel a team would like to come at us, we can heavy the package out, if someone wants to spread we can add in our speed package. Its all about flexibility. I ask that my players be the same as the defense."​

You had a chance to meet players earlier today. Can you talk about that meeting and what you told the players when you met them for the first time?​

"I did not meet with them long, but I did get a chance to explain my philosphy, what I expect and how things will be moving ahead."​

2. maij17

Will update later, wife"s water just broke, off to the hospital

3. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Congrats on the coaching job but even more congrats on the Incoming Little One

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Wow congrats on the little one man. Hope everything goes well and everyone is safe.

5. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Congrats on Maij Jr!!!!!

Unless it's a girl...then congrats on little ms maij!

6. maij17

Not here yet, and its #2 for me and the mrs.

7. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Good luck, dude.

8. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

Congrats on the coaching gig, and congrats on the lil one.

9. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

Congrats on the little one... No more sleep for Maij lol

10. CJ Bruner

CJ Bruner Walk On

Grats on the little one! Hope everything goes well!

11. maij17

Yea born this morning at 611 mst, post a pic soon as I can, thx guys

12. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Congrats Bro things are going to be busy around the Maij household im sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.