Miss St. Beats Ole Miss

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by smlVICTORIES53, Mar 4, 2012.

1. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Jul 21, 2010
    Miss St. was able to hold on and beat Ole Miss in the annual match-up to represent the SEC west in the conference championship. The game started off well for the Bulldogs. The offense was able to move the ball into Rebel territory but QB Cameron Jones tried to lob a pass over the defense and an Ole Miss LB jumped up and snatched it out of the air. Ole miss would take over but only ran two plays before the Miss St defense forced a fumble and recovered it. Once again Jones would be picked off. Looked like the corner was gonna bail on the comeback route but he ended up cutting to it before the WR did and got a nice return off of it. Ole Miss would drive what was left of the field and go up 7-0. On the next Miss St. Jones would connect on a curl route to Robert Howard and he made one guy miss and took it in to tie the game. Neither team would score again and the half ended 7-7.

The third quarter didn't see much action out of either team but Miss St. was able to add 3 points on a 58 yard FG with a little over a minute left in the quarter. Once again both teams couldn't generate much offensively in the 4th. The defenses pretty much beat each offense up. Miss St added another FG from 56 yards to make the score 13-7. Each team had a short possession but Ole Miss had to burn their timeouts to preserve time. The started in their two-minute offense with around 1:45 left in the game and were able to move down the field into Miss St. territory. Earlier in the game the Rebels missed a long fg. That miss forced them to have to get it into the endzone. They kept inching their way closer to the endzone until they reached about the 12 yard line. It was then that (fr) RS MLB Nick Bryant intercepted a pass over the middle to seal the game for the Bulldogs.

Not a whole lot of offense in this game. A lot of batted balls and each teams run game was effective enough to keep the other from tee-ing off on the QB. My defense played out of their minds and we were actually able to play a game with out a starting getting injured.

GG Hellisan i got a couple more breaks in this one than you did
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Feb 10, 2009
    Great summary smlVICTORIES53 and gg. can't believe a freshman MLB sealed the game. That was horrible clock management by me at the end, I never once took advantage of the ability to spike the ball to stop the clock. Stupid shit like that will lose you a close game, and all credit goes to the Miss State coach playing with a team that's a step down talent wise but just played great on D.

That was a good point you had in the game about the Howard play, "getting the good animation" is so key on those hitch routes, he was just gone once I made a minor mistake trying to get him.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012