Missouri Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Missouri Presser

[​IMG]

Huge win vs Oklahoma coach you were a huge underdog in this one, how'd you pull it off?

What has been the cause for the struggles this season?

This sets you up for a huge game vs Nebraska next week, how will you prepare?

You guys are still in the hunt for the north, but you must win the remaining games on your Big 12 schedule, is this team up for the challenge?

2. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Blaine Gabbert carried the team in this game. He finally looked comfortable, threw his passes on target and didn't try to force something to happen under pressure. Missouri's first offensive play of the game, Gabbert actually threw an INT on a jumped slant route, but he settled down made some reads and got the ball into our playmakers hands. OU took the go ahead FG to make it 22-21 with a little over 2 minutes left, and Gabbert made a brilliant 80 yard drive capped by a 1 yard TD pass with a minute remaining to give us the lead..

Our defense has looked shaky in crunch time, but made the most important stop of the season, stuffing OU on their final drive and sealing conference win #1!

Offensively, our run game has been atrocious and has left us one-dimensional. We have blown some late leads because we couldn't chew the clock long enough by either throwing incomplete passes or getting stuffed at the line on the run.. Lack of communication between the WRs and QBs have led to alot of INTs or dropped passes that completely changed the scope of a few of these last games.

Defensively, we just seem to shut down in the 4th quarter. The defense blew 4th quarter leads to both Colorado and Texas A&M that may cost us from having a shot at the Big XII North, or even going to a bowl game..

Nebraska is going to be a huge game. Coming off the big win, the offense should be carrying some big momentum to help keep us in this game. Our defense needs the most prep to learn on containing Roy Helu Jr. Our pass defense has been pretty solid this year, but our rush defense has been far from admirable. If we can find an answer for Nebraska's run game, then we can pull off the "W".

As long as we can stay healthy and avoid costly turnovers, then we can do it.. After the horrible start, all of the players are wanting to prove that they are still contenders..

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

RIng that bell coach, how'd you guys pull it off?

You are right where you need to be to make a run at the North, what's up next for the Tigers?

Has this team turned the corner or is this just a flash in the pan?

Gabbert played as good of a game as you can ask for, was this some redemption for him?

4. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Communication was key to pull off the victory over Nebraska. The offense looked unstoppable at times, and when the game was on the line, they kept churning down the field. Defense played a great game as well, keeping Helu under 100 yards on the day and turning Nebraska one dimensional late in the game..

I couldn't have asked for a better performance from my players...

After dismantling Tech, the short road ahead has Kansas State at home, followed by Iowa State and Kansas on the road. My guys need to make sure they play each game before thinking ahead to Kansas, otherwise we could end up letting one slip and ruin our shot at the conference title.

I honestly believe we have finally turned the corner and found the right niche that works.. The first few games, we looked sloppy and out of sync, especially late in the games we still had a chance at winning. If our offense keeps playing like it has in the last 3 games, we will find our way in the Big XII Title game..

After the sloppy start, Gabbert needed to pull out of the quick sand to gain his own confidence back. His performance against Nebraska did just that, as he looked even sharper against Texas Tech, going off for 400+ yards with no INTs..

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Coach some how, some way you managed to right the ship and get back to the Big XII title game, discuss the ups and downs this season?

Who are the leaders that emerged that led your team out of this hole?

What will it take to beat Texas?

6. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

BOOOO!

7. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Did you say boo? or boo-urns?

8. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

This season ha really proved to be a roller coaster, starting off 1-4 and looking outside of even getting a bowl game before turning it around to finish 7-5. After losing two straight non-conference games, the team needed to buckle down to start conference play, but defensive meltdowns against Colorado and A&M hurt our momentum. The upset win over Oklahoma changed the pace of our offensive and finishing off Nebraska opened the door to the Title game. Had Gabbert not found his rhythm in the OU game, we likely could have ended up 4-8.

On offense, Junior QB Blaine Gabbert is obviously the MVP. Finishing with 3,806 passing yards and 31 TDs is quite a feat, although the 19 INTs is a bit of an ugly statistic. Gabbert found two favorite targets in So(RS) WR Rolandis Woodlands and Fr(RS) WR L Damian Washington who both nabbed 1,000+ yard seasons. I look forward to seeing what those 3 guys can do next year.

On defense, Senior FS Jasper Simmons helped set the tone, picking off the Big XII QBs 3 times, while forcing 2 fumbles and a recovery. Simmons will be greatly missed next season but I think we can figure out a way to fill the holes.

Patience.. If Gabbert starts to rush some throws and panic, thats when the mistakes happen. If we can stick to our gameplan that helped us in the 6 game win streak, then we have a solid shot at the Title.

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great start to the season coach, strengths and weaknesses so far?

You were able to go into the Swamp and whoop the gators, how was the win for you and your team?

Is Missouri hear to stay in the Big 12 North or was last year a fluke?

10. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Our offense has been our greatest strength so far. Blaine Gabbert has looked spectacular in his first two outings and the WR corp has performed above and beyond expectations.

Our running game has been a huge concern. Although we are a spread attack team, it was nice last year to be able to run the ball well against the defense to setup some PA Passes. I think after two games, we are sitting at a single digit number for total team rushing yards.

The defense has also raised some questions as they have been torched through the air the last two weeks. The secondary lacks speed so breakaway WRs are having a field day once they get past the second level of the defense..

The win helped the guys realize that they can contend if they minimize mistakes. Florida played a great game, but had some bad breaks that went Missouri's way. The win will help send some momentum into Week #4 as we take on Michigan at home.

Missouri is ready to control the Big XII North again. Being able to win the North last year after some early conference losses proved to the team that they can make it happen under pressure situations. Nebraska better get used to polishing their runner-up trophy because the Tigers are here to stay!

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great interview !

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Tough setback vs. Michigan, did that game teach you anything?

Missouri vs Nebraska will decide the North, is your team ready to put together another strong win?

IS this team out of it with a loss to Nebraska?

13. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Unfortunately, I had personal business to attend to on game day and had to leave the team in the hands of the Assistant Coach. Upon reviewing some game film, our defense looked stronger than ever, however the offense still has plenty of room for improvement. The Wolverines limited Gabbert to under 200 yards passing and 0 TDs. The offense still needs to find that special rhythm that they picked up on last year if they want to be successful this year.

My guys have been talking all week about how sweet it was to knock of Nebraska on the road last year. They are certainly ready to do it again in front of the home crowd. The attitude at practice has been a positive this week and the Tigers are ready to step on the field and show their strength.

While a loss will certainly set us back, it won't necessarily be the knife in the coffin as far as a Big XII Title run is concerned. Both the Cornhuskers and ourselves face a very tough remaining conference schedule where either of us could fall on any given Saturday. It will be interesting to watch the season pan out after this game.

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

How is the Big 12 North shaking up?

Have you been able to get the recruits you need to keep Missouri relevant in the Big 12?

Your Qb threw for 800 yards in one game, that ridiculous . . . nothing else just felt like that needed to be said.

[​IMG]

15. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Missouri and Nebraska are sitting at a tie atop the North right now, however the Cornhuskers hold the current tiebreaker. We will be watching their game next week against Colorado however, because a loss there will shoot us back into the Title game.

I am pretty excited about the new class coming in. Since most of my offense is young, I have been focusing on the defense this season to bring some muscle back on the line and speed in the secondary. So far, I have grabbed 3 guys in the ESPN Top 150, so I think I have left the team in great shape to keep contending..

[​IMG]

16. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Two years in a row Missouri has opened up the season with a big upset, how does this team stack up compared against the teams of 2010-1011?

How has Aldon Smith played, is he the key to the Tiger defnse?

How has the system evolved with James Franklin at QB?

17. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

The team certainly has lost a lot of talent in the past two years.. Most notably being Blaine Gabbert, however we have lots alot of playmakers on both sides of the ball.. The defense is very young and inexperience this season, but I am already seeing some of these freshman starters mature into great football players. And while James Franklin may not have as strong of an arm as Gabbert does, he makes up with his ability to make quick decisions and on target passes. I don't think the offense has missed a beat since the 2010 team, however the defense still yields some room for growing.

Aldon Smith has been relatively quiet this season, only coming up with 1 sack and 5 tackles through 3 games. On the flip side of that, he is consistently being double teamed leaving someone else able to slip free to pressure the QB when he can't. We are hoping to come up with some better defensive schemes come conference play to give Aldon some better looks at storming the pocket.

With Franklin at the gun, we are now able to say that we have a dual-threat guy. We recently changed playbooks to a Pro Style that has more speed options and read options, and so far Franklin has really proved his worth and shown off his legs. Franklin still has a strong arm and superb accuracy, so just when you think he may run it down your throat, he can always pull it back and fire a bullet down the field to the WRs.

18. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Tell us about your biggest up s and downs during your tenure at Mizzou.

What kind of team are you handing over to the new coach?

Will you coach the bowl game?

19. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

The biggest up in my 3 years was being able to knock off a high ranked user team early on in each of the 3 seasons. I came in expecting to lose many (if not all) of those tough OOC games and have been pleased with how my players stepped it up in those games to make a statement.

That being said, my biggest down is all of the games that I have lost in the final seconds. I can count 6 games that came to a final possession loss for me.. Good teams put themselves into position to win games.. Great teams finish the job. Which is something I was unable to do consistently. I am hoping that my experience can carry over with a learning curve as I head to Texas A&M next year.

Bob will be getting a relatively young team, especially on defense who had 4 freshman starters this season. Their experience this season should help tune the defense to a better squad and a 17+ deep recruiting class this season will certainly help add some depth.

Bob will be taking over the reigns as coach of the Missouri Tigers right after Conference Championship Week. I wish him the best of luck in his bowl game and hope to see those guys thrive! I plan to be on the sidelines at the A&M bowl game taking notes for things to work on this off season.