Mixing up the plays question....

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by OregonGunner, Jul 19, 2010.

1. OregonGunner

OregonGunner Walk On

Mixing up the plays question....

So, I am new here and wanted to ask a question about mixing up the playcalling on offense.

So, here is the general rules: (For reference)

G.5.0 Mixing up the Playcalling: Varying your playcalling on both offense and defense is a requirement of sim play. On offense, be sure to show your opponent different formations and different plays out of each. Of course, exceptions on offense come from your playbook. If you are using Florida or Georgia Tech's playbooks, for example, the formations that are available are not very different. However, even in those playbooks, different looks are available and should be utilized. It is understandable (and acceptable) for a team that is down by a lot to become one dimensional, needing to throw the ball. By the same token, a team that is up by a lot is permitted to become one dimensional running the ball to keep the clock running. As long as the game is close, we expect all box scores to reflect a concerted effort at reasonable play calling.

So, how many formations, and plays out of each formation would you say is acceptable? Obviously I think everyone is going to have a little different answer. Since I am new, I will explain what gameplan I used in my recent game that had my opponent a little bit uneasy. I would appreciate it if you guys would tell me if I am not mixing it up enough, and what you consider as enough "mixing it up".

So, I was a team built for running, and thus built a gameplan around the run. I would say that I ran the ball 2-3 times for every throw. I used 5-6 different formations (I am saying that Single Back (ACE) - Big is one formation and Single Back (ACE) - Twin TE is a different formation), and 3-5 different plays from each formation.

Now this was all in the first half. So, obviously that number would increase slightly in the second half. My opponent quit in the second quarter, score 28-0.

Was I not "Mixing it up" enough? I really like pounding the rock with the new blocking in NCAA 11. And running plays are limited and will look similar in different formations.

So, could the senior guys around here help me out? Thanks!

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Sounds alright to me but I'm not senior around here I'm just a post whore, lol.

Nah, honestly for the first half of the game that sounds like your doing a good job at mixing it up. 6 formations times 5 plays from each? That's 30 different plays. Sounds like whoever was on the losing end just a little upset they were down 28-0 IMO

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

yeah that is a good mix. There is nothing wrong with being a run first team, as long as you mix it up in the passing game too. I just put a guy on his 1st strike in my league because he ran the same pass play 9 times out of 15 attempts. Used it on me 2 times in a row on the broken flats to set up a game winning field goal too. He also ran a run first offense, but only ran out of 2 formations, Singleback Big, and shotgun trips weak. If it continues he won't be around too much longer.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The rule of thumb I use is, if I'm worried I'm not mixing it up enough, mix it up twice as much.. Play a quarter where you never call the same play twice if you have to. Try plays that you've never tried before. In my opinion there are only a few plays that just flat out stink and will never work, its just about calling them against the right defense, reading the defense and executing.