MLB 11 the Show to get Analog controls

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by PepperNY, Dec 15, 2010.

1. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

[​IMG]

The biggest change to the game comes with the addition of pure analog control. That's right, buttons are about as hip these days as players wearing stirrups, so Sony has finally changed the control scheme for hitting, pitching and throwing to be all analog-based (although if you want to play old-school and use buttons, you can still find last year's controls in the options menu).

"This is the feature everyone has wanted in our game for years, but we didn't want to do it until we could do it right," says longtime "MLB" producer Chris Gill as he sits down to demo the game for me inside Sony's San Diego studio. "People have been asking for a new way to play the game, and now everything you do, whether you're swinging the bat, throwing to first or pitching the ball, it's all done with the right analog stick."

What this means is for hitting, gamers pull back on the stick to start the batter's stride, then push forward to swing the bat. This is all about timing, since if you start your stride too early, pause, and then swing, your stride will be off and you'll lose power. Start your stride too late, and you're going to be behind on the ball when you finally swing. It takes a few innings to get used to, but by my second game, I hit a few homers and felt comfortable enough to start really enjoying the new approach.

[​IMG]

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right-handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick, as you'll need to not only time the movements right but also hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake, and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash.

Another cool aspect to the analog mechanic is the fact that the velocity of each pitch is actually determined by the speed with which you press up on the right stick. So if you're looking to add some extra oomph to a Matt Cain fastball, all you have to do is push up harder during your delivery. Obviously, if you're pressing up faster, it will be more difficult to pinpoint location at the top of the meter, but this really adds to the fun and complexity of the system. After a few innings, I had the new system down good enough to feel cocky, and then I messed up and gave up a 420-foot shot to Josh Hamilton. But this actually made me smile, since I knew I still had some work to do (and really, no one should be able to master a new pitching system that fast and I was stupid to think I could).

I took this off the espnvideogames.com site. I am kind of old school and liked having the buttons so I'm not sure about having everything be analog so we will see when the game ships. I'm curious on what you other guys think and who is going to be down for a league when the best baseball game comes out?

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Sign me up for the side that uses old school buttons and will continue to do so

3. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I'm wih you there. If its not broken dont fix it. I'm afraid with the new controls the lag is going to be even worse and like MLB2k

4. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I'm old school. Why change one of the best games for this system? I liked it the way it was. What they need to focus on is their online play and glitches....

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Lag has always plagued this game. I've been the commissioner of 2 leagues in the past with 09 and 10, however 11 was unplayable with the lag. It's quite possibly my favorite and the most beautiful game on the market, but its a shame how this piece has destroyed online MP for me despite being continually told it would be improved. Furthermore, the lack of commissioner tools was the other killer. Once online is fixed and online leagues have added depth, I have no issues running my next online league through TSO.

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

think the reason for analog is because hitting the square or X button is too easy to hit, I guess some would say. The analog makes it like real baseball where a hitter has to time and start his "load" and then explode through the baseball. For pitching I don't know how to make a good comparison for analog pitching.

It doesn't matter to me what we play on, but the 2K for 360 was awful and wished I wouldn't have bought it last year. One of the worst I have played....

7. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Ya I've never been a fan of 2k baseball, unless they had one on the DreamCast that I played. I was an EA baseball guy til MVP died, then switched over to The Show