MLB 2k12

Discussion in 'MLB: The Show' started by Will Atkinson, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Is this franchise worth a shot to or should i just save that money for Madden and NCAA this summer?

2. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

Hey Will , the show is good as madden . The show i been playing for past 4 years now. I play 2k and just didnt liked their game for some reason , i thought graphcis look cartoonish to me , game play was ok . Franchise mode seem alright , hey this is really your on what you spend your money on . So if you want wait until madden and ncaa thats cool too.

3. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

I am on the 360 so i can't go with the show or i would..I guess ill just wait til someone comes out with a better baseball game than the 2k series..

4. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Simple solution....

BUY A PS3 :)

I know allot of people that have bought a PS3 for the simple fact that "The Show" is THAT GOOD!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Haha i was looking at them last night but thought that might be a little overkill for one game ha.. I have heard great things about Gran Turismo too..

6. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

I seem to be in the minority among loud obnoxious video game fanboys, but I really like 2k baseball. I played it a lot last year when it came out and it's just a fun game. Picked it up again last week and haven't been able to put it down, the My Player mode is pretty addictive, want to get my guy in the Hall and all. I honestly don't understand the ridiculous level of hate thrown at the game, it's definitely not perfect, there WILL be a lot of little things that annoy you, but if you are out for a fun game that gets the job done it is worth it as far as I'm concerned. They just put out a few developer diaries at http://www.facebook.com/MLB2K that really sound good too. It seems like one of those deals where people are just out to find all the bad things about this game and don't give it a fair shake.

Things it does well:
    Presentation - great commentary, great stat overlays and info, etc.
    Batter/pitcher interface - I really like the pitch system, takes some time to get it down but it is more fun than just hitting a button or timing a meter. Batting is tough at first, but get the timing down and it's great. You can work the count, actually get walks, and so on.
    Franchise/ My player - the amount of stats in this game are incredible, right down to sabermetrics and everything else. My Player is addictive once you get into it and build your guy up. Meeting the goals is a fun challenge.

Things it doesn't do well:
    Franchise - While it is a very fun mode, it isn't super deep. Not much as far as gm type stuff to handle (stadium, ticket prices, etc.) That crap usually gets old to me, but I know some love it. Also, there can be some goofy AI trades (usually fair trades, but guys like Pujols or Cano getting traded just don't happen in real life). Many of these issues from last year supposedly were addressed for this season, but who knows.
    Little things - catch all for glitches, wonky animations and other minor issues that you don't think of until they happen. Some guys allow these things to be all they notice, but I can get over them because the game is a lot of fun for me and none of them are gamebreakers. Most of the significant bugs were patched long ago. Hopefully none of them pop up in 2k12.

Anyway, just some random thoughts about the game. There's a lot of haters, but I really think the game is worth it if you like baseball and only have the 360. Also, pretty sweet deal at Amazon right now for the MLB and NBA 2k12 combo pack. It's $70 for both games plus you get a $10 credit if you preorder. I'm not a huge basketball guy, but it's supposed to be a great game and that is a heckuva price for 2 games.

7. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

I saw that deal the other day, I really think i might do that but i already have NBA 2k11 which was a great game, in my opinion. So I don't know if I really need another basektball game, since those are just rotation games for me between what is gonna be mostly NCAA, and add in some Madden once 13 comes out.. I was interested in a baseball game because i don't currently have one.. Just don't like how there is no online leagues for it here at TSO and it carrys a bad rep for the most part..

8. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

I hear ya man. The bad rep almost kept me away last year too, but I hadn't gotten a baseball game in like 5 years and baseball is my favorite sport so I had to make the jump. Haven't regretted it since (except when my wife gets mad at me for playing it too much lately). Just saw the new gameplay video too (below), it's looking good so far. They are claiming that they have found a way to make the online version of the game play without any lag at all, not sure I believe it, but if true that might bring a lot more interest for online leagues around here too.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="
    "></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

9. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Just out of curiosity how long does a 9 inning game usually take?

10. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

You can skip past a lot of the batter/pitcher stuff between pitches so that helps speed things up. I'd say 9 innings can run anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour, depending on how quick you play, whether it's a pitching duel or slugfest etc. I probably average around 45 minutes in last year's game.

Over the past 2 weeks I've been playing the My Player mode and you can literally get through games in 10 minutes or less since all you're doing is playing when you come up to bat, are on the bases, and when you need to make a play in the field (this is kind of unrealistic since when you come up on D you know the ball is coming your way, but would really be rough playing the field the whole game). I'm liking this mode because of how fast you can burn through a season. I do miss the ability to control trades/ free agents etc, but it's a fun mode since you can get through 5 or more games an hour (unless you're a pitcher of course).

11. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I will be picking up MLB 2K12 this year for the 360. If you guys are interested in playing, let me know. I'm always down for a nice long 9 inning game on Friday nights to relax after a hectic work week.

12. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

i would surely pick up mlb2k12 if i saw that they were building a league on this site i had 2k11 and loved it

13. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Do you think it's worth the pick up if we don't have a league here or would picking up an older copy suffice for a fill in game? Since my last baseball game was mvp ncaa baseball 06 haha

14. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

MVP 06 is fun. I'm in that game ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Not sure what was funny, guess I missed the joke.

If you pick it up, let me know so we can run some spring training games.

16. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Nothing really, just the fact that it's been that long since i had a baseball game and that particular one has been discontinued..

17. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

just sold my NBA 2K12 for 35 bucks (only paid 40 for it on Amazon), and i pre ordered the MLB 2K12 and NBA 2K12 combo pack.. 2 games for price of 1 basically..

if they didnt offer this combo pack i was not buying MLB2K this year.. heck, not bad to have though since this maybe the last one they ever make.

edit - i will say this, last year, before they patched the game, you could play an online game vs another guy in about 30 to 35 minutes. after the patch, it was like 2K8 again, HR fest etc.

18. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Serious, 35 minutes?

19. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

the first 15 games or so of the league i was in (47 game schedule, 2 games a week), took just 30 to 35... i had a few take 25 mins.. scores were 4-3, 3-1, 2-0, etc.. some higher scoring ones as well, 9-7 etc... when the game got patched, it turned into 50 mins to an hour and ten mins. combined 14 hr's for both teams was the norm as well. total waste of time!!

it went from baseball to slow pitch softball.. again, just like 2k8..

20. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I have the combo pack preordered and will be selling the NBA2K12 half. I've been enjoying the steady improvements to the 2K series. The demo was pretty solid and some of the new overlays were very nice. I'm always down to play games with my Tribe!

21. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

I just went ahead and pre-ordered the combo pack..Haven't made my mind up if I'm keeping NBA 2k12 yet but something tells me that I probably will..

22. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Thanks for the update. As a person who has played The Show since next-gen release, this is the first year I am switching it up and trying 2K for the very first time. Some may call me crazy, perhaps I am. But between the commentating and statistics I have seen in the 2K series, I really wanted to give this a shot.

23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

NICE! Let's set it up now, a week from tomorrow (Friday night) its Yankees at Indians, late night.

24. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I wish i could, but i ordered online and to get free shipping i won't be getting the game til around the 14th or so :(

25. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

I'm certainly interested if there's a MLB2k12 league being put together. I used to have a PS3, but my house got struck by lightning, fried everything, was able to sell the fried PS3 and my games to cover a used xbox, a decision I regret but it's where I was financially. But going from the Show to the 2k series was a bit eye opening, as I really couldn't imagine that there would be so much difference in game play in a baseball game, but the Show just felt so much cleaner, looked so much better, just was more enjoyable. But anyways...

Since that's not really relevant, I'm definitely going to be getting 2k12 since that's the only option I have now and would love to get some games in and a full on league would be awesome, although if I wanted to actually enjoy myself I'd probably have to take a different team than my beloved Mariners.