MLB Collapses

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by UofCWildcat, Sep 29, 2011.

1. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

DAYUM!!!!!!!!!!!! I just watched the Red Sox chock, the Braves chock, and the Rays hit a HR to win the AL Wild Card. I'm not anywhere close to a big baseball fan but that was some sick shit! On top of that watching Northwestern try and comeback vs Wisconsin was a pretty cool game too.

2. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Watched it all last night, I was loving it.

3. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

My Facebook is FLOODED with Boston fans who are complaining that "The Yankees let the Rays win." I don't see that. I see the Rays playing a good game even though they started slow. What do you guys think?

4. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Yankees won the right to rest their guys. Tiexeria hit 2 bombs in the game, so I would say the let them win.

Paps got his 1st loss of the year and only his 3rd blown save. I'm a Braves fan and they sucked it up big time. 2 starting pitchers on the DL and their All-Star catcher hitting .160 down after he came off the DL.

Just goes to show every game matters.

5. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

All I have to say to yankee fans is, 2004 what?....lol

every team has its bad moments, boston's pitching staff was horrendous this year.

6. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Well actually they had the worst collapse in MLB history lol. More than just a bad moment.

It actually belonged to the Braves, until Boston blew it about 30 minutes later.

7. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

That was exactly my point! And on top of that the Rays had to win a hell of a lot of games to get there. It takes two to tango

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I would have to say the yankee's 2 postseason collapses would have to be worse than this. It does suck though.

9. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Sorry I should have said worst collapse in MLB regular season history.

That is a fact.

10. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Go Brewers!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

How cool was it that Evan Longoria & Carl Crawford continued to be the MVPs for the Rays yesterday!

• Like Like x 1
  12. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I want them to win (y) My Reds got shafted their year because our pitching went to hell. Fuck the Cardinals because they're all a bunch of bitches over there (especiall Yaderer Molina). So Go Brew Crew!

13. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

The stats they noted on sportscenter were ridiculous for the Red Sox. 7-18 in the month of September. Really? That's terrible!

Their pitching staff had an ERA of 7.00+ in the month of September. How is this even possible with that payroll?

What I find especially comical about it all is Theo Epstein was just in last weeks SI regarding the Moneyball story. For those who don't know, Moneyball revolutionized baseball yada yada yada and was implemented by the Oakland A's. (great book to read if you haven't already). However, Theo Epstein was also keen to the sabermetrics used by Billy Beane of the Oakland A's, except in Boston they have the most resources second to the Yanks. Well, with all this knowledge and hype, the BoSox still didn't make the playoffs....two straight seasons?......Ouch! When they showed the look on Epstein's face last night during the game from his luxury box it was priceless.

14. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

In all fairness to Theo... If you would have told any team they'd be 9 games up at the start of September they'd take it. He couldn't really make any moves after the trade and waiver deadlines. The pitching was horrible down the stretch, but he isn't the guy throwing the ball. Not much else he could do but give Francona the pieces to try to win.

15. GoGators

Very true. Very true. But at the end of the day when using sabermetrics like they do, everything Francona does is based on Theo's directions. So in my eyes it all ultimately goes back to Theo. And I think you gotta look at the bigger picture. At the end of the day, they missed the playoffs cause of a team with half their payroll kicked their butts. Even after Boston took the Rays second best player. It's a story filled with irony haha.

16. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Haha true! Crawford did suck, but he was terrible for the entire season, even when they were in 1st.

If I were Boston management, I wouldn't fire Theo or Francona. I'd look for a new starting pitcher and give up on Dice K and Wakefield. Paps was solid all season so they should resign him (sucks his 1st loss was in the last game that clinched their fate). They will have to make a decision with big Papi, although he was awesome again this year. Their position players are great, they just need another SP.

17. GoGators

Agreed. They really need help on the mound especially considering the teams they have to directly compete with. The Yankees destroy rotations and the Rays due to their farm system have one of the most talented pitching staffs since the Oakland A's in the 90s (excluding the current day Phillies obviously).

As the saying has always been: "Good pitching beats good hitting any day of the week."

18. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

From the Tigers perspective, I think the Yankees are a much better matchup than either the Sox or the Rays for us. Our rotation is much much better than theirs and we always seem to do well in Yankee stadium. The yankees now have to deal with Verlander and Fister for games 1 and 2.

19. GoGators

And nobody likes getting Fisted!!!

I hope Verlander got all the bad stuff out in his last start and he's ready to go against CC. We gotta get game 1!

20. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I think Verlander was just too juiced to get his 25th win/MVP award in that last start.

Fister has been the best pitcher in the league through August/September, going to make for a great playoff run hopefully.

21. Darkwing

HAHAHAHA....typical Reds fan.
    Hate the Cards much??

22. Darkwing

My capstone project was about sabermetrics and the advanced statistical analysis they're doing in baseball. I love that shit. But aside from that, it is very ironic that the mighty Red Sox have the man that invented the word sabermetrics (Bill James) on their payroll and all that money to play with yet not even a playoff appearance :) It goes to show you it's more than just math, you can't equate exactly what people will do. Every system is flawed...

Btw if your a baseball fan at all, Moneyball wasn't a bad movie

23. GoGators

It's an interesting perspective because sabermetrics are getting all this mainstream hype from the book, movie, etc but like you said, they're not the end all be all for baseball. Yeah they help in evaluating players and it's probably a pretty sound way of building a team, but at the end of the day they're just #'s. The one thing that everyone keeps overlooking about it is yeah the A's were great and were able to win 95+ games with a small market budget, but they also had one of the most dominant pitching staffs in the game.

I plan on seeing the movie. I'll probably wait for it to hit Netflix...I mean Qwikster in a couple months though....I'm cheap what can I say.

24. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

[​IMG]

Come at me bro

25. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

He has not been the same sine he threw his arm out in the WBC last year. It's a shame too