MLS Description and Rules

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Richuation, Feb 12, 2012.

1. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Description and Rules - Major League Soccer

Rules and Guidelines
    Standard Tradition Sports Online rules and sportsmanship guidelines are in effect.

This is a cheese free zone. Those interested in hardcore, no holds barred, win at all cost FIFA game-play, then this is not the place for you. Therefore, we do not expect to see extreme custom formations, 100% aggression tactics, known glitches and/or otherwise unsportsmanlike conduct. If you have specific questions and/or would like to report another member, please seek guidance via your league commissioner through use of PMs.

League Structure
    • 19 Teams, Eastern and Western Conference
    League Settings
    • XBL> Online Friendlies
    • Half Length = 10 minutes
    • Controls = Manual
    • Game Speed = Slow
    • Squad Type = Custom
    League Schedule
    Each team plays a 34-game regular season schedule; 17 home games, 17 away games.

Western Conference – 24 in-conference + 10 out-of-conference games:
    · Western Conference teams will play each West opponent three times (24 games):
    o West teams will play four conference opponents twice at home and once away
    o They will play the other four conference opponents once at home and twice away.
    o The home and away games will be reversed in 2013.

· Western Conference teams will play each East opponent once each (10 games):
    o Five of these will be at home and five will be away.
    o The East opponents each team faces at home and away will be reversed in 2013.

Eastern Conference – 25 in-conference + 9 out-of-conference games:
    · Eastern Conference teams will play 25 games against other East teams:
    o East teams will play seven conference opponents three times each (21 games) and
    o Two conference opponents twice each (four games).

· Eastern Conference teams will play each West opponent once each (9 games):
    o Some will play four at home and five away while others will play five at home and four away.
    The West opponents each team faces at home and away will be reversed in 2013.

MLS CUP PLAYOFFS: FORMAT

WHO QUALIFIES: Ten teams, the top five in points from each conference at the end of the regular season, qualify for the 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs.

The fourth and fifth place teams in each conference will play a single knockout game, the winner of which will advance to the Conference Semifinals and face the first place team in the conference.

The four Conference Semifinals will be decided by two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary.

The two Conference Championships will be decided by a two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary.

MLS Cup will be a single championship match hosted by the higher seed. If the score is tied after 90 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary.

Content
    As is standard in all TSO leagues, we require game summaries to accompany match results. At TSO we encourage content. This is your chance to be creative, add original user generated summaries, team specific pages, weekly league recaps, players of the week, etc. To take the lead on creating content, please see our content manager and/or league commissioner.

Match Results
    It is the responsibility of the winning club (or away draw) to post the match results in the designated TFL match results thread. The match results consist of both goals and match bookings. The format to use when posting match results can be found in the OP of the TFL match results thread.There is no extra time and/or penalties in the TFL. All matches that end in a draw after full time are recorded as a draw. For FIFA12, we capture the following info:

Goals
    Assists
    MoM
    Cards
    Injuries

Player Cards and Suspensions

:yellowcard: A player will be suspended for one game upon receiving his fifth yellow card – regardless of the nature of the infraction that resulted in his being awarded a yellow card. A second suspension of one game would result after the awarding of an additional three cards, as would a third suspension after the awarding of card number eleven. With the “Good Behavior” incentive, it is possible for a player to have a caution expunged. If a player goes three games without receiving a yellow card, after an initial warning, the player will have one yellow card expunged. A player may take advantage of the “Good Behavior” incentive only once throughout the season.

:redcard: Red cards issued in MLS games result in ejection from the game in progress and an automatic one-game suspension and $250 fine. Cards issued in MLS games may not be appealed, except in a case of mistaken identity.

Injuries

We will be tracking injuries in the MLS and I will be giving you the doctor's results of the injury. The results of the injury could range from no missed time to season ending injury. For your understanding, I will be using a random number generator to give the results, and will not be manipulating the results myself.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I notice we are capturing Injuries. Does this mean we will be sitting injured players?

3. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Interesting...

4. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

yes... its a long season

• Like Like x 4
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I liked, but i'd rather love.

6. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

Suhweet... What's the story with the updates?

7. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Roster update feb 23rd

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

For injuries, is this as simple as sitting a player a match week who was injured during a prior MLS match?

9. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I'm looking for a tool that will randomize the Injury and length, with small injuries being most common

10. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I feel like I've read this before in here somewhere. Was the TFL doing this via random generator or did i read this elsewhere?

EDIT: Figured it out, read about this in the TFTL.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Was about to say The Richuation I believe hedache has a tool he uses in the TFTL. May want to see how he does it.

12. hedache

hedache Walk On

If you want to name the injury, assign each number a different kind of injury that fits the length. That way for example you have 4 different injury types for guys missing 1 game if you're doing what I'm doing. Same with healthy next game. You can even name those like a minor sprain or bruised butt kind of something. I sometimes make up shit based on who it is. Like when it's niuhuskie224 's super stars, it's usually a mental illness :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

So we are not using the real mls playoff structure? I don't think there is cross over this year.

14. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

By cross over do you mean East and West playing each other prior to Cup?

15. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

Yes like an east team can qualify for the west bracket if east #4 is better then west #4 or 5.

16. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I am using the playoff structure from the MLS website... I will dig deeper to make sure we are using. The 2012 structure.

I have a feeling this league will finally help me familiarize myself with the MLS, which I've been meaning to do for two years.

17. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Well, it's either this or you keep practicing and maybe you'll get scouted one of these weekend in real-life :)

18. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I'm really not good.... Like really. Like paralyzing a whole side of a field.

19. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I'm not 100% sure but I believe with the unbalanced schedule they wen back to just east and west brackets. I'll try to find a link later.

And the MLS is not a bad league to watch. Albeit I only watch MLS And Eresivisie.

20. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

LOS ANGELES – The MLS Cup Playoffs and the league's grand finale are getting new looks in 2012.
    The MLS Cup final will no longer be a neutral-site game, according to a plan approved on Saturday by the league’s Board of Governors. Instead, the league’s championship match will be played at the home venue of the participating team with a higher regular-season point total.
    That effectively brings an end to the system of rotating the MLS Cup final to different venues around the league, as MLS has done since its inaugural 1996 season.
    The playoff format itself will also get a tweak. As in 2011, the playoff field will remain 10 teams. However, the top five teams in each conference will qualify for the postseason without wild card spots.
    The No. 4 team in each conference will then host the No. 5 team in its conference in a single-elimination game for the right to face its respective conference’s top seed in the Conference Semifinals.
    The Conference Championships will shift to two-leg series instead of a single game, as they have been since 2003.
    “The MLS Cup Playoff format in 2012 gives increased reward to clubs that fare well in the regular season and removes the possibility of clubs winning the opposite conference championship,” said MLS executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez in a statement. “Having a competitively determined site for MLS Cup is one of the most exciting improvements our Board of Governors has adopted. We believe this provides every club a tremendous incentive during our regular season and ensures a festive and boisterous setting for our championship game.”

21. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

I just hope I can get my computer up and running again before the season starts. The drafted players look pretty solid

22. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Updated and aligned with official MLS rules.

23. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Update...

I am doing a bulk scheduling upload of the 2012 schedule. Meaning, we will be using the exact 2012 schedule for our league. Unbalanced and all.

24. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I can't afford $250. I hope I don't get a red card. :D

25. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

That reminds me to collect everyone's PayPal information :)

• Like Like x 1