Archived MLS Month in Review: May

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Richuation, May 4, 2012.

1. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Team of the Month:

[​IMG]

New England has made it through the third month of the season and remian the lone undefeated team in the league. At 7-5-0, the Revs are 3rd in the Supporter's Shield race behind Seattle and Colorado. The Revs have been doing it with defense with surrendering only 9 goals in 12 matches. Coming up in June, a June 30th matchup with Seattle looms large.

Player of the Month:

[​IMG]

Omar Cummings takes the May Player of the Month award by taking control of the Golden Boot Race by netting 13 goals in 13 matches. His top form has powered the Rapids to 2nd place in the league only behind Seattle. Omar should be buying dinner for teammate midfielder Wells Thompson who has assisted on 6 of these goals.

Rise and Shine:

[​IMG]

Dwayne De Rosario and DC United have caused quite a stir in May after the manager change to AJ Hart MN Moving from the middle of the table to 4th overall has shaken up the Eastern Conference and the MLS as a whole. The engine to this surge is non other than 2011 MLS MVP Dwayne De Rosario and his 2 goals and 8 assists. Dwayne's target man has been the dangerous Hamdi Salihi and his 10 goals. MLS, you have been warned.

MLS Cup:

With 3 Months in the books, lets take an early look at the race for the MLS Cup, the postseason event that caps off the MLS season. To remind everyone of the MLS Cup structure for 2012 see below:

MLS CUP PLAYOFFS: FORMAT

WHO QUALIFIES: Ten teams, the top five in points from each conference at the end of the regular season, qualify for the 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs.

The fourth and fifth place teams in each conference will play a single knockout game, the winner of which will advance to the Conference Semifinals and face the first place team in the conference.

The four Conference Semifinals will be decided by two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary.

The two Conference Championships will be decided by a two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary.

MLS Cup will be a single championship match hosted by the higher seed. If the score is tied after 90 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary.

2012 MLS Cup Standings (Through May)

• Like Like x 5
  2. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Excellent, Excellent!

Bravo with the a look at the standings

4. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Simply awesome! I said it once and i'll say it again. June Team of the Month: Columbus Crew. Book it.

6. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

7. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Awesome my man. RSL has to make a move. Really feeling the effects of the Morales season ending injury. I played a game with him the other day in a practice and man we miss him so much.

8. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

That was a massive blow... No doubt. I haven't had that type of injury but I have had all my key guys out at some point. I haven't been full strength yet

9. Connor

Connor Walk On

The loss of Collin was huge, but I've been able to cope pretty well. It doesn't effect my play a whole lot since my strength is in the offensive end. However, I've noticed a big change with manual and the fact that I can keep many from scoring. I'm one of 3 teams to still have less than 10 goals allowed.