Modifier simplification ideas

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Modifier simplification ideas

Okay, here's my proposals, one of which I know will raise a stink. Again, listing them as ideas, like I did earlier. Let's feedback on these:

Idea #1: FA bidding needs to be simpler. So here goes: Bidding teams can only bid modifiers based on where that player would fit on the depth chart at the time of bidding. So if I bid on a player who would be my #2 WR (2 modifier) but another team can use him as #1 (3 modifier), if they bid a 3 modifier, the ONLY way I can beat it is with a bigger contract. I cannot match the modifier.

IF the team makes a bid at a modifier and then gets a player (through trade or draft) that would move the FA down the depth chart, the modifier does NOT change in any way. At the time of the bid, it was accurate and it is locked unless the player is cut.

Idea # 2: Position change rules.

This one is gonna be a while.

No offense to the guys who did up the position change rules. They are stupidly difficult to grasp. They are confusing as hell for cap guys and owners alike. Changing modifiers and making new modifiers....makes MY head hurt.

I think, though, that some of it does work. And I like some of it. Just not the modifier portion. So here's how I will attempt to "compromise" with those people who scream "LOOPHOLE" when I propose this idea, and those who say "TOO COMPLICATED". Here goes:

Position change rules as far as size and ratings listed STAY. EVERY player that is changing positions (whether backup or starter) is declared in the thread and MUST be approved by the committee in place. NO modifiers are changed in ANY way. Overalls are reported at new position, just like now. If the overall goes up, the contract goes up accordingly, forcing owners to be careful about who they declare moving, especially those teams close to cap space hell. One thing that would change is that the player changing positions can still play his old position as well as his new one, even starters.

Cap guys only: When we would post position changes under this idea (if implemented), we still color the guys in brown. Just don't move them from their old position. Simply list their new position on the left hand side, or in their name if they are the #1 guy at that position. Get with me if this idea is implemented or if you just want clarification on what I mean by this.

HERE'S the caveat, though: IF you change a player to a point where he would be a STARTER at his new position, the starting player at the position he is moving to AND the "new" starter at the position he is leaving MUST be overall 75 or higher. If EITHER position doesn't have that, the player CANNOT change.

IF the player moving is the starter at his "old" position, then the #2 guy bumps up to #1 IMMEDIATELY. OTHERWISE, no modifiers change at ALL.

Example: (Dunlap, I am NOT picking on you, but using your team as an example is easiest) OLB Shawne Merriman is an 84 overall at OLB. He is moving to DE, where he is a 96 overall. He fits the criteria for moving positions. His new starter, Justin Durant, is an 82 overall. However, the LE position (where Merriman is moving to) has a starter as a 55 overall. This move is NOT legal. If he moves the player to RE, where he has a 78 overall, the move is LEGAL. Merriman's modifier does not change.

This keeps it as simple as possible, while still keeping loopholes mostly out of the way. It forces teams to have some depth behind the guy moving so that way salaries aren't an issue as far as position changes are concerned. And the restrictions already in place keep a lot of these position changes from being exploitive (great job on that by the way).

Idea # 3: Changing modifiers every year. Okay, this one will get less and less used the more FA is used and draft is used, as well as progression/regression (basically any color coded players on roster lol). If a player is listed in BLACK on a team's depth chart, their modifiers can change based on where they are on depth chart from year to year. If a player is traded to a new team from an old team, and was NOT a free agent signee, they revert to black from their previous color. This allows teams to trade for better talent and not cheat the system.

Idea # 4: Modifier reduction. This one is already in the rules, but I figure it doesn't hurt to reiterate: modifiers can only be reduced by cutting the player and trying to resign them. End of it. If you have 4 guys that are 2 modifiers at WR, then cut two of them to get rid of those 2 modifiers and try to resign them for 1 modifiers. Simple.

Okay, read up and let me know what you think.

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I like the part about keeping them in their original position in the capbook. It looks good to me.

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I personally dont like 2 and hate 3. the others are fine, but thats my personal feelings.

4. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

5. natedawg212000

ugh.. did we vote on this or was it just dead like this? this is all my fault.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, idea 1 just got put in, idea 2 is sort of implemented in simpler position change rules and limited timeframe to change positions. Idea 3 is also sort of implemented in freezing modifiers as we did this offseason, and idea 4 is also already in place I think.

So it's sort of dead due to us doing them all in some shape or form.

7. natedawg212000

is the rule book updated with the needed info now?

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I'd have to look and see, but I know I ok'ed access to Jeremy and Dunn so they can edit as well.