Moment of Silence

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by gowazzucougs, Nov 28, 2011.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

JFace907
    Cheez
    recchem2000

Since yesterday several of our members and former members' schools have decided to go in a different direction and have fired their respective head coaches. jface, cheez, and recchem would you be willing to give some lasts words about your respective coach? You can discuss the good moments, the bad moments, and what ultimately led to their firing/untimely demise. In addition you can discuss who your school should hire, in face's case why did OSU hire Urban Meyer, and what are the general expectations of him as your new head coach.

In addition folks, my school's coach, Paul Wulff, is currently on life support. He went into to cardiac arrest shortly after the Apple Cup, it is a miracle he is still with us. Everyone please pray for him tonight. Some time tomorrow we will know whether he will make it or join Luke Fickell, Ron Zook, and Rick Nieushel in coach heaven.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Ron Zook: GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE

As far as the rumored "short list" of candidates for the job:

Butch Jones - I think this would be alright. He fits the Mike Thomas mold of a coach.... because Mike Thomas hired him at Cincinnati a couple years back. He might work, but it would be tough. I would be accepting of this hire though.

Steve Addazio - No - we dont need another Florida failure.

Skip Holtz - No, but only for the fact that you are related to Lou Holtz and I want as little tie to the senile bastard as possible.

Paul Chryst - Not my first choice, but it wouldn't be a bad hire.

Kevin Sumlin - Not unless he can bring Case Keenum with him.

Paul Rhodes - Who knew who this guy was before Iowa State beat Oklahoma State a couple weeks ago? Hell, who really knows who he is now? No.

Mike Leach - YES! YES! 1000 times YES!

3. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Who would not want mike leach? I am inclined to believe his side of the TTU story. I assume some BCS school will get him, but I felt the same way about Mike Price and he ended up at UTEP.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Rick, my friend, if anyone in the country could coach up a QB we thought it would be you. To win in the Pac12, you gotta have a QB, and you produced none. The Pistol offense was grabbing for straws and we all knew it. You can rah-rah-rah and sis-boom-bah all you want in the locker room, but when your team continually comes out flat in big games, its time to go!

I say bring back Bob Toledo! He's unemployed at the moment. At least if we can't play defense, we'll score some damn points!

5. gowazzucougs

whygodwhy1111
    Cheez

Mike and pirate mania are coming to Pullman, NO WAIT! I can't say that while my dear coach is on life support at the moment in the hospital.

6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Didnt he already get booted out of there :D

7. gowazzucougs

He is on life support, there has been no formal announcement from AD Bill Moos it will come tomorrow. About an hour after the game as Coach Wulff was going into cardiac arrest, there was a report from the Seattle Times that Wulff would be fired, barring a last second change of heart.

8. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Luke, Luke, Luke

It was made quite obvious in the presser before the Michigan game that you were not pleased about getting replaced before your season ever ended. I actually really like you as a coach. Just not a head coach. I hope you stick around major college football, just as far away from the Big Ten as possible. If i ask one more thing from you it would be to take Jim Bollman with you whever you go. This season confirmed he is the worst offensive coordinator i have ever seen. A lot of the reason this team went .500 in the regular season was your complete inability to take the diapers off Braxton Miller when he had proven he was potty trained. The only mistake you made Fickell was not starting with Braxton and then never giving Kenny Guiton a chance once Braxton Miller got injured against Nebraska. I wish you luck and hey, if Urban asks you to stick around as the D Coordinator, you should really consider it.

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I thought you were refering to Mike Price, not Mike Leach :) I think Wulff will stick around.

10. Cheez

your information is as much speculation as my information.

With that said, MIKE LEACH TO ILLINOIS!!!

Chief Pirate!!!

11. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Leach has been around campus at Wazzu this year a couple times..... just sayin'

12. Cheez

Looks like most of the candidates that I had previously listed... were wrong according to the Chicago Tribune.

Rumored favorite for head coach vacancy at Illinois: Pat Narduzzi (Defensive Coordinator, Michigan State)

13. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

I'm still hoping for Chris Peterson to UNC. The rumor is that he and his family are coming to Chapel Hill December 5th.

14. Cheez

This just doesnt make sense to me on any level. I mean, he's god up there in Boise. He will have buildings named after him and such. At Chapel Hill he will be just another football coach. Furthermore, the football program is nowhere near the level of basketball. People dont care about football like they do basketball. At boise, I dont even think they know what basketball is

Also, he's turned down big money before, from better programs. Why all of a sudden would he be looking to get out of Boise? I smell some bad potatoes up there.

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I liked Fick. I think that most of the issues were with Bollman (like you said). Why didn't we take the training wheels off until the last game? >.<

I think there was something about him staying on the staff with his current salary, which would be awesome if it's true.

16. Cheez

I thought that it was up to Meyer on whether he stayed on or not, but that the OSU brass was pushing Meyer to try and hang on to him.

17. gowazzucougs

I am not saying he will leave, and I doubt he leave BSU for UNC. But there is a reason to believe he will go this season or next, the AD who hired him was fired earlier this year. If his relationship with new AD is not good you could see him leave. I don't buy this logic, but that is the rumor

18. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

UCLA!!!!

19. Cheez

disbanding the football team yet?

20. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Never!

21. Cheez

probably should after last week ;)

22. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

UNC could actually be a decent program. Mack Brown had them as a top 5 team. Although basketball is bigger here, football is growing at perennial basketball schools. Did you know that Kentucky football makes more money than Kentucky basketball? UNC football is way ahead of Kentucky football, and people here really do care about football if it's good.

And UNC has been able to recruit under good coaches. Mack Brown brought talent in, and Butch Davis has, too. With the SEC now limiting scholarships to 25 per year, there will be some extra talent that can be acquired. According to Rivals, here's the last 5 recruiting classes for UNC. Keep in mind the last two classes had to contend with the fact that there was some trouble facing the program.

#17, #32, #9, #29, #16

Boise doesn't have a single class in the top 50 during the last 5 years. And now they might have to compete with real schools (insert Big Least joke here) each week instead of TCU once a year? UCLA would be similar. One advantage for UNC is that there is no USC or Oregon in the ACC. The best teams in the ACC right now are Va. Tech and Clemson.

You can at least make the case for why he would consider some other jobs.

23. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

The Milwaukee Journal reported this morning that Paul Chryst is a candidate for Illinois and that a Lear jet from Illinois supposedly arrived in Madison yesterday.

Makes perfect sense, of course the only Lear jet in all of Illinois is from the campus in Champaign.

24. gowazzucougs

Folks, we have lost another. WSU AD Bill Moos has decided to take Paul Wulff off of life support today. So, the Cougars are now in the sweepstakes for Mike Leach. However, before we move on lets remember the past. First, this is somewhat a sad day, Wulff is a Cougar, and that is something important to remember. Successful coaches who stop in Pullman always leave. They never stay, and hiring Wulff created this assumption if he is successful he will stay.

Wulff's record speaks for itself 9-40, the worst record ever for a WSU coach. However, those first two seasons should not count or be considered in evaluating Coach Wulff. Those teams were historically bad, between losing players because they were not upstanding citizens, and the loss of scholarships because of academics Wulff was in trouble from the beginning. I remember the first game I watched with Wulff as coach. It was against Cal, after the first five minutes I turned it off. I will summarize the five minutes, Javid Best runs for 80 yard TD, Cougs punt, Cal scores, Cougs punt, Javid Best goes like 60 yards for a TD. We are at like 10:15 in the first quarter and it was 21-0. It was a miracle the Cougs beat UW in the Apple Cup that year. The following year was just as awful, but for two pick sixes against SMU this team doesn't win a game the following season. These teams were unwatchable, recchem2000 imagine watching a repeat of that USC game for 12 straight weeks. I started watching hockey on Saturdays because I couldn't stomach watching college football knowing my team was god awful.

Then in season 3 fans started seeing signs of life. I remember watching the Cougs play UCLA, and the Cougs were winning the game in the second half. My reaction, was "We have a Cougar Football sighting." I hadn't seen Cougar football since the Cougs beat the Huskies in the 2007 Apple Cup. And for the rest of the season we got to see Cougar Football, with the culmination of an actual win against OSU.

Then this past season, this was going to be the return to glory season. Wulff's job was riding on this season there were high expectations, but all that talk and expectations stopped in the first quarter against Idaho State, when starting QB, the savior, Jeff Tuel broke his clavicle. I knew at that moment all hope was lost.

Following this team last year and this year, there is one general conclusion I have about Wulff the coach, and to me this is why he is no longer the coach, whatever critical decision he made during the game it always backfired. in the Apple Cup last year, the Cougs had the momentum down a touchdown late third, the Cougs face 4th and 1, what do the Cougs do? They pass, it goes incomplete and on the next play the Huskies are at the Cougar goal line. Why not run the ball, Wulff was a former O-lineman his inclination should be to run the ball. Against Colorado the Cougs tie the game with 20 seconds remaining in the half, he squib kicks it Colorado gets the ball in excellent field position and gets a field goal before, almost cost the Cougs the game. Against OSU, opening drive 4th and 2 on the Beavers 25 yard line, don't you kick the field goal, according to Coach Wulff no. He goes for it and the run is stuffed, the Cougs go on to get killed. Against Utah, 3rd and goal from the 1 3 seconds left, down by 3, I say go for it. The team is 4-6, you have nothing to lose. He plays it safe and kicks the field goal, in overtime Halliday's pass is intercepted and four plays later game over on a Utah field goal. And the clearest case, against Idaho State, the day of the game Tuel is sick and cannot start. The back up plays the first two series, the score is 14-0. On the third series Tuel enters the game, and on the fifth and final play of the series he is taken down hard and breaks his clavicle. In a game, I could have been playing quarterback the Cougars season was lost.

25. gowazzucougs

Two other things,

Let Pirate mania begin for WSU. And recchem2000 Pdiddy's son is committing to UCLA. So you will now have a celebrity on the side lines