Monday Morning QB- rutgers falls to #2 Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Monday Morning QB- rutgers falls to #2 Wisconsin

Rutgers coach moreecemos enters the room following a 23-20 loss to Wisconsin. Here he comes to the podium.*

Coach- well it was a hard fought game out there and we battled with one of the best teams in the nation. I think our demise has been greatly exaggerated and if anything, it was my coaching that failed us today. We could have scored possibly 35-40 points today but I made some bonehead calls that failed us in the end there. I was proud of our guys out there. We really played a solid and fundamental game.*

Reporter from sun times- "coach talk about that play in OT where QB shimko missed his TE who was wide open, what happened there?"

Coach- well I think shimko got happy feet there. He probably didn't believe he was that wide open and just sailed a pass over carrezola's head there. He had some passes ge overthrew but that's something I feel he will get better as he continues to get reps. I mean shimko came in here a year before savage and literally has sat every year as a backup until his senior year this year. He's still getting a feel and hell, I'm still getting a feel for what he can do out there.*

Reporter from star ledger- "talk about how your guys did going into a hostile environment in Wisconsin and how they handled it."

Coach- my kids did great. Considering the offense is fresh with new starters I think we for the most part, stuck with the gameplan and tried to ease shimko and the offense into a nice flow. We were flowing but again my coaching decisions cost us points and a turnover in the endzone.*

Reporter from daily news in Ny- "how good is Montee ball? The RB from Wisconsin?

Coach- Ball is a star. It's tough following up a legend in John clay over there but I think ball is a similar type back. He's not as big and physically imposing as clay but he's a gamebreaker. Today I felt we did a good job containing him because he really didn't have huge gains out there. You just have to once in a while stop him from busting one.*

Reporter from Hartford courant- the offense looked much different. Talk about the adjustments you made from last to this year."

Coach- having a kid like Tom savage spoils you. Having WR's like sanu and Harrison spoil you. When we lost those kids, we literally implemented a new playbook. We recognized our strengths and weaknesses this year more than any other time I've been coach. We switched to a more run oriented team to set up the pass rather than the other way around. I think we have done a good job to get some good depth at the RB position. We will see the maturation of a kid like deantwan Williams as well as his backup Thomas. *We plan to utilize most of our RB's to get them valuable time in hopes that by the end of the year we can be just as good as the previous rutgers teams.*

Reporter from Ny post- "any changes to the special teams, most specifically your kicker?"'

Coach- no not all. He's a freshman and he did a wonderful job. I put him in tough spots to make long field goals that he's not ready to make yet. Again that where my coaching mistakes come into play

Reporter from ESPN.com- can you expound on those mistakes you made?

Coach- well again i think I planned too conservatively at times. The second FG that we missed, it was 4th down and 4 and hindsight is 20/20 but we could have went for it there. Then later in the game when shimko threw that pick, we should have ran that down their throats. That's just a miscalculation on my part. This is a team unlike rutgers last two teams under my tenure. We have to play smashmouth football and aggressive as well. Thanks guys

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Awesome write up MO!! This is great. I had no time today to make the video highlights...but it will get done tomorrow or Friday....I am very interested to review some of the plays.

I thought you kind of went away from the run at times where I thought you were going to stick to it and thought you should have.

Up 17-7 with 4 mins to go in the 4th quarter and you had a 4th and long I felt good about coming away with a win. Then a blown coverage and then this was a terrible mistake but I went to put "Running the ball" on "Conservative" to prevent fumbles and I put "Tempo" on "Conservative" to run the clock out by accident. Then Ball fumbles and an easy FG and you tie it up.

We were going for the win with 1:33 left and RS (FR) TE drops the easiest pass that would have put us on like 20 yard line.....OT.

After you kicked the FG I decided I was going to run 3 plays in a row no matter what and actually on the 4th run play Ball broke free off tackle and then up the middle of the field for the winning TD.

We had the game then gave it back and then took it back again. Good stuff.

3. jfosh

jfosh Super

Great write up Mo. Always love reading your stuff. And all the stuff on user games.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yeah Jms i definitely should have run it even more. I'm just a passer at heart and can't help it. I have my conscious on one side and helli in my other side telling me to run the ball more for pete's sake!

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I know I was saying that on the cast. "MO should run here this would be a great time, but its MO and he can't help it".

We freaking played 9 times in like 10 seasons....lol. We know each others game!

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Haha yeah. It's a classic rivalry. No matter how good or bad a team is, the straws usually draw even when our teams clash.

How do u like ball as your feature back?

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I love Montee although us was reemed out for that fumble. He always fights for extra yards and sometime it is unnecessary. The line is not as strong as last year therefore he will need to work harder. The lack of a safety 3rd down receiving TE hurts my offense.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Unquestionably the play of the game was #4 tackling mo's RB as he broke for the end zone in OT. Great, close game.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yeah unfortunately Williams hurt his sternum. I think he makes it to the endzone with his 94 speed! Thomas is a redshift sophomore who is a solid back but I wish I had my #1 guy in there.