MOP Award Shortlist Announced

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Michael Woodward, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Who is your front runner for the 2012 MOP award?

1. Ibraheim Campbell

37.5%
  2. Dayne Crist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cody Green

25.0%
  4. Donnell Hawkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ricky Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Perry Jones

37.5%
  7. Donte Moncrief

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jeff Scott

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Tim Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Coshik Williams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

The halfway point of the season has arrived. Each week has offered much excitement, none more than week 7 which seemed to drag on like the last day of school before summer break. What makes these weeks so exciting? It's the brightest stars that wow their home fans each week while proudly donning their school colors. Here is a look at the most exciting players of 2012. These are your MOP Award shortlisted student athletes (in alphabetical order):

Campbell3.jpg Ibraheim Campbell, Strong Safety (Northwestern)- Campbell is the pride and joy of Coach Liesemeyer's dangerous secondary which has amassed 21 interceptions so far this season. Campbell leads the team with 6. Not only that, but Campbell is second on the team in tackles with 43, two behind the leader. He also leads the team in pass deflections and has scored a touchdown. It is uncommon for defensive players to make the MOP list but if anyone is deserving, it is a player like Campbell.

Crist.jpg Dayne Crist, Quarterback (Kansas)- Crist is a transfer from Notre Dame. After finding a major at Kansas that Notre Dame lacked, Crist was able to make the move without sitting out. Kansas is very thankful for this major. Crist is 5th in the nation in quarterback rating with a 180.8 rating. He has thrown 13 TDs and only 3 Interceptions. He is not the leader for the award with only 1,215 yards passing but with the reemergence of Daymond Patterson the last two weeks, he could be a dark horse for the award.

CodyGreen.jpg Cody Green, Quarterback (Tulsa)- A Nebraska transfer, Cody Green has led a potent Hurricane passing attack. After a terrible start in which Green was absolutely shut down in a Kansas blowout which he completed only 12 of 25 passes for only 141 yards with 0 TDs and 3 INTs, Green had to do some soul searching if he was to turn the Hurricane season around. In an interview with ESPN's Erin Andrews, Cody Green explained how he recovered so quickly to go on to lead the nation in passing yards at 2,405. Green said, "Well I was just out of my groove. I sat down and watched BET during a day long marathon of 'How Stella got her groove back' and it really inspired me and showed me how to get my grove back." Green also told Erin that she is super hot. Green didn't just go on to lead the nation in passing yards, he has somehow managed to do so with 70% accuracy. Very impressive numbers after a less than impressive career at Nebraska saw him lose his starting spot to Taylor Martinez. The only negative about Green is that while he does have 25 TDs, he has thrown 18 INTs and his team is having a less than impressive season so far. However, add Green's 117 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs and he finds himself as a front runner for the award at the midseason mark.

DHawkins.jpg Donnell Hawkins, Middle Linebacker (Tulsa)- It's not often you see a middle linebacker who frightens opposing quarterbacks as much as Donnell Hawkins does. Hawkins leads the nation in sacks with 9.5. He has also amassed 42 tackles, forced a fumble and record a safety for coach Steven Foster's defense. If Tulsa wants to turn their season around, Hawkins is the jack of all trades that can do it.

RJohnson.jpg Ricky Johnson, Wide Receiver (Tulsa)- No, you do not need to see an optometrist. Your eyes are working correctly. Tulsa has three players in a row on the MOP Award list. Johnson is tied for 3rd in the nation for receiving TDs with 10. A real deep threat, Johnson has done this with half the catch as the others in the top 4 with only 28 catches for 519 yards which puts him at around 18.5 yards per catch. Johnson has also only recorded one drop.

PerryJones2.jpg Perry Jones, Running Back (Virginia)- Again, no not that Perry Jones that plays basketball. This Perry Jones is still lighting up defenses for a lot of points but he is doing it for Virginia's newly transformed powerhouse team. Coach Abom is force feeding Jones down opponent's throats to the tune of 779 yards and 12 TDs on just 110 attempts which averages out to 7 yards per carry. The most remarkable thing about Jones is that he has yet to fumble. He has also added a reception touchdown. Jones has emerged as one of the front runners for the award as he has Virginia in the hunt for a national title. Unfortunately, he has broken his collarbone and is out for the rest of the season. Who will fill in for him as the front runner? Time will tell.

Moncrief2.jpg Donte Moncrief, Wide Receiver (Ole Miss)- Ole Miss is enjoying a successful season after ridding themselves of Houston Nutt. One of the biggest reasons for their success is their ultra quick wide out Donte Moncrief. Moncrief has lead the Runnin' Rebels in receiving with 30 receptions for 717 yards and 8 touchdowns. He is third in the nation for yards per catch with 23.9, only behind Northwestern's Pierre YoungbloodAry and Kansas' Daymond Patterson. His total yardage puts him at 8th in the country. He is quickly emerging as one of the best receivers in the country and indeed one of the best players.

JeffScott.jpg Jeff Scott, Running Back (Ole Miss)- Surprise, an SEC team is an offensive juggernaut and of all teams, it's Ole Miss. Moncrief is enjoying his success in large part because Jeff Scott is gaining the attention of defenses. In their bid to slow Scott down, opposing defenses have looked behind them to see Moncrief flying toward the end zone after Scott set them up with a play fake. Scott may not be the biggest back at 5'7", 175lbs, but his determination and shiftiness constantly force opponents to miss. Couple that with his speed and you've got 702 yards rushing, which puts him at 9th in the country, and 5 TDs. If Ole Miss wants to continue their miracle run toward the national title, Scott will have to continue to produce the way he is.

TimSmith.jpg Tim Smith, Wide Receiver (Virginia)- You are probably asking yourself...."Who??" Tim Smith, that's who. His name is generic but his place is anything but. Smith leads a very successful Virginia receiving corp with 34 catches for 662 yards and 7 TDs with only one drop. Not bad. It will have to improve if he is to claim the MOP award but with a coach like Abom, anything is possible.

Williams.jpg Coshik Williams, Running back (Kentucky)- Coshik leads a recovering Kentucky offense. After a few initial losses, Kentucky seems to be back on track behind the stellar play of their stellar running back. Williams plays like the second coming of Marshall Faulk rushing for 631 yards and 4 TDs while also catching 25 passes for 257 yards and 2 TDs. If Williams can keep it up, Kentucky might just sneak an SEC title; A huge feat for the basketball school.

makinpropel
    moneyliesey
    areohhwhy
    CamInMyMind1350
    steven.foster
    tar heel
    TN_Mike
    derek
    NYJuggalo45
    QBKILLAR
    Abominatrix

• Like Like x 1
  2. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Worst thing about the Jones injury is that I could've run out of bounds :(. At least he went out on an 18-yard carry, like a boss. TIM SMITH TO THE RESCUE!!!

However, I think that the mid-season favorite is between Campbell and Green, with a slight edge to Campbell, because Tulsa has a great offense in a bad conference, and Campbell has an average defense in a powerhouse conference.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  3. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Voted for the RB simply due to the insane YPC

4. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

I either had to go with the Nebraska transfer or the Nebraska coach. I went with Northwestern.

5. derek

derek Walk On

Had to go with Perry Jones. 7 yards per and NO fumbles.

6. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah, I probably would have voted for him if he wasn't out for the season. Obviously, he won't win in the end so I chose someone who can still win it.

7. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I dunno...he's still gonna have 7 YPC and 0 fumbles :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. derek

derek Walk On

Oh I didnt know he was out for the season. I must have missed that.

9. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

haha true but I don't think anyone has ever won and sort of mop or mvp award with 700 yards rushing on the year regardless of everything else!