Mountain West Conference Title Up For Grabs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by OsirisMonster, Oct 20, 2011.

1. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

The Mountain West Conference champion will be decided when the San Diego State Aztecs play host to the TCU Horned Frogs at Qualcomm Stadium. Currently San Diego State sits atop the Mountain West with a 6-0 conference record but both TCU and Boise State are knocking at the door with 5-1 conference records. For all intents and purposes Boise State is out of the picture despite beating TCU just two weeks ago. Even should TCU beat San Diego State to create a three way time atop the Mountain West I believe the tie breaker will be decided on ranking and with TCU in the top 10 they would win out. That means any hope coach Osiris Monster has of a Mountain West title requires a huge win against a deadly TCU squad.

Even with a victory over Boise State on the smurf turf, the Aztecs game against the Horned Frogs will prove to be the hardest test for coach Osiris Monster. Since taking over for the Aztecs in week 4 of the season the young coach has won eight straight games and made a team that started the season 1-2 into a conference contender. The good news for San Diego State is that star HB Ronnie Hillman will be healthy for this game. The bad news is that the Aztecs, who have been struggling to maintain possession of the ball, face the toughest defense they will see all season. Can senior QB Bernards play turnover free football? Will coach Osiris Monster change up his gameplan to incorporate more under center passing to complement his running attack that gashed rival UNLV for almost 300 yards the week prior? Will the aggressive no huddle that got abandoned against UNLV see a return? All these questions and more will be answered when the two teams meet later today.

The TCU defense isn’t the only thing that San Diego State needs to worry about. They will be playing an offense loaded with talent looking to tear apart an Aztec defense that has struggled to stop the big play. It all starts with standout senior QB Casey Pachall. Pachall has had masterful control of the TCU offense tossing 33 TDs while only throwing 5 INTs. Contrast that to Bernards, who has thrown 5 INTs in just one game. Not only is Pachall deadly throwing the ball but his 80+ SPD and ACC made him a threat on the ground as seen by his 600+ yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs. Complementing him in the backfield is a speedy Waymon James. With 94 SPD, 95 ACC, and 92 BTK he has already rushed for 843 yards on just 130 carries and scored 8 TDs. The Aztecs will have a difficult time containing the running tandem of Pachall and James in this game. To make matters worse they will be running behind as solid a right side as there is in football with 92 OVR right guard and tackles Ty Horn and John Woolridge looking to pancake the outmatched Aztec defensive front. Running against the three man front of the Aztecs could put a real strain on San Diego State defense.

The 4-2-5 TCU defense will look to confuse the Aztecs offense. This is the first time that San Diego State has faced a 4-2-5 defense and the Horned Frogs no doubt plan on bring pressure from the edge through a mix of LB and SS blitzes. In the past the Aztec line hasn’t been able to hold up against the pass rush and thus Bernards has had to rush many throws and taken a fair share of sacks. This could result in a number of turnovers if coach Osiris Monster cannot find a solution. The one weak point in the TCU defense, though, is at secondary. If Bernards can get enough time in the pocket he could exploit the TCU DBs with big plays. That is a big if though given the offensive line protecting Bernards. Still, there has never been a bigger game in San Diego State football history then this matchup and you can rest assured coach Osiris Monster will have his team ready to play.

We asked the coach what he thought of the game and he had this to say. “Biggest game of my coaching career. Biggest game in San Diego State football history. This game is what it is all about. We have to win. I hate to say it but I fear this will be a shootout. If we can’t keep pace with the TCU offense we won’t stand a chance. We need to score first and score often. Keep the pressure on. Our defense might not be able to stop them but if we can force long drives hopefully we can force a few mistakes and get a turnover or two out of it. I don’t expect many punts in this one.”

And there you have it. The Mountain West title will be decided later today and to the victor goes the spoils.

• Like Like x 1
  2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Good stuff as always Osiris! Good luck against those Horny Toads!

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Coach, it's the morning after winning a conference title in San Diego State history. How do you feel?

"On top of the world! My guys played their hearts out and we were rewarded. The win was magnificent. Our running game clicked and our defense stood strong against a vastly more talented TCU offense. Still there is a lot of work left. By all indications we will be playing Washington in Las Vegas in the coming weeks. We need to be prepared for that game. Then there is recruiting to worry about. Our hold on #1 TE Ben Jackson is loosening. He soft committed to the Aztecs but being a Florida native has shown increased interest in playing for the Gators. We hope that the conference title and a big bowl win over Washington will convince him he should play for a winning program. We are currently sitting on five guys that have given us their verbal commitment and another four listing us as their top pick. We need to close the deal and get the hard commits on them. I see a great future for the Aztecs in the coming years and I'm proud to be the catalyst that spurs this talented squad to greatness."

4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Congrats on the championship dude!!