Moving Offensive Tackles to other positions on the Oline

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I was wondering what you guys thought about moving offensive tackles to other positions along the offensive line. I signed 4 guys this year and have depth in front of them on the charts already. For some reason the tackles flocked to me this year and they were too easy a sign to let go. My question is could I move a couple of them to guard or center and add depth there?

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Sure you can. They tend to drop a tad in ratings, and if they're pass block guys, they might not always have the ACC to pull well on counters and power runs, but I typically move O-Linemen for balance almost every year. Never had much of an issue with it.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Okay, I just wanted to make sure it was okay..that lightens up the recruiting for me a little bit. I was concerened about having 0 guards and centers at the moment...

It seems like safties and tackles love PSU.

4. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Agreed- this is totally realistic- unlike the cheese classic of moving CB to QB

5. TD351

TD351 Walk On

While we are on the topic- how about moving FB to TE.....or TE to FB?

6. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I thought all player position changes were allowed as long as it didn't feel like a cheesy move.

As for TE to FB, I can't see how there would be a problem with that. There are colleges out there that make a living running a TE at FB. In the NFL Washington Redskins under Gibbs were known to do that a lot and any time Indy uses a FB it is a TE lining up in the back field.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is almost a necessity. With so few fullbacks out there, I move TE to FB more than I recruit new FBs. When recruiting, I look for shorter guys (there really are no 6-6 fullbacks) in the 230-240 range, with decent run blocking stats. These guys usually translate with less than a 5 point loss to OVR, and they're realistic guys. The only time I see an issue is when we get really big guys and move them, or take receiving ends and move them. My third string FB is a perfect example. 6-2, 240, recruited as a TE at a 75 OVR, now sitting out a RS year as a FB rated at 70 OVR. This is very often how I do it. Also, I try not to get guys with big catch numbers. This guys has a 68, which is about right. It's almost like he was designed to move from TE to FB, like the game knows you're going to do it.

8. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I have decent luck recruiting FBs. They are lower in star rating but you can get a 1 or 2 star FB come in mid 70s with a 3 star coming in upper 70s.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

How about saftey to corner? Lol since I have three safties ready to commit to me...and no corners...

10. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Again I thought all that was fair game. It's not unrealistic to move a safety to corner that has good coverage skills. That kind of thing happens all the time.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

How about QB to Safety? It happens in real life.

12. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

If I sign a qb with high hit power, tackle, and coverage skills he would move to safety. If I sign a cb with 85+ throw power and accuracy he is moving to qb.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

exactly how i feel about it...

14. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

Just a thought I would imagine the majority of high school Tackles that do get scouted often are forced to make changes. I would be willing to bet the Gaurd position (offically playing G in highschool is one of the most neglected positions scouted. I tend to believe Tackles in high schoool are your best line man, then center. A center is probably a center and the Tackles fill in for gaurd and tackles on the next level.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

From personal experience (I played LT in college) I can say that most coaches at the high school level will try to fill from the center spot then to his right side tackle. Now with the proliferation of the spread that might be changing a little but most coaches still want a stud center and the best lineman will be there.