Moving Players on Defense

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Keller, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Heres the rule in New Member Lounge

Lawdog brought this to my attention because he had an issue with my moving of a MLB in the A or B gap then switching to the other MLB and NOT moving him.

My interpretation of the rule was that we could move one player but not that we had to stay selected as that player. Its not like I was taking a bunch of guys and moving them around and reblitzing them. Nearly 100% of the time, the guy I'm moving is in zone or man, not blitzing. Its not like I'm creating nano's or something stupid like that.

Again I'm not moving multiple players. I'm taking 1 guy and putting him in a gap and then selecting the other MLB. I do this against most running sets when I'm in the 3-4 - not every single play regardless of the formation.

I honestly don't see the issue here but as with ALL things, I will accept whatever the rules are supposed to be and move on. I do think its kind of ridiculous when I'm not blitzing them or anything of that nature that I can't move my best MLB into a gap to try and help against the run - but thats just my opinion. I want to hear other opinions.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The rule is pretty black and white to me. If you move that LB into the gap then you need to use that LB.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm not a part of T2 but I don't see how this would be seen as ridiculous, to me the only reasons to try it are suspicious, like "I hate taking on blocks, so let me put this guy here who will do that and then I will come free" or any other of a number of reasons that I would hope people wouldn't be doing it for. Just my .02

4. Keller

I don't look at it like that at all. Lawdog can attest that I never really "came free" - he did that against me more than I did to him - he moves all over the place prior to the snap with his LB. However, I clearly do it for a reason. I feel like it helps my run defense. The question is, is it really unfair or unsim to do that?

Lawdog seemed to think it goes back to prior iterations of the game where you could bring safeties and such up to the line with no consequences because they could still get back in coverage (remembering the 4-2-5). I don't think the same thing applies here, but I at least understand that line of thinking. Basically, there are no consequences to doing what I'm doing, which I wholeheartedly disagree with but thats again just my opinion.

5. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    The reason you aren't suppose to move more than one player is because it messes with the ai. Plus guys nano blitz doing this. I'm with bond, use the guy you select presnap

6. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    IRL it happens but we still have to remember this is a video game

• Like Like x 1
  7. Keller

Do you have proof of this, that it messes with the AI? I guess I don't really know how you would have "proof" but I figured its worth asking.

Nanoing is entirely different - those guys like move and shift and reblitz 3 different guys - weird stuff.

It once again appears like I'm alone in my thinking....

8. Keller

Yeah, totally different, agreed.

9. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I have heard that the oline has a radius or field around them... In certain spots they don't pick up shit. Do I have proof? No. I just know it's a no no to move more than one manually

10. Keller

Thats the point though - I'm not moving more than one guy manually. I'm moving one guy then selecting someone else. The guy I move isn't even being blitzed.

11. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Which is clearly against the rules.

12. Keller

Clearly. I'm asking why is that the rule.

13. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

The first time we plate I noticed this too and asked you about it. I guess a better question is why do you move lbs from their original alignment?

14. Keller

As I said above - I feel like it gives me better run D - at the expense of covering passing lanes. Thats just my opinion of course.

15. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I'm not sure how much you risk covering the passing lanes in that situation though. Especially with the superhuman linebackers, if they're in zone they'll typically get back quick enough.

16. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

as someone who has played the 3-4 for years..... moving your lbs in the gap manually essentially takes away counters....... most dive plays to that side of the field are stuffed and could be blown up in the backfield if the center doesnt pick up that blitzing LB... i dont complain about people moving their players..... but this does give the defense a distinct advantage... because you lose zero in pass defense as a quick hitting pass to the TE shoudl be the logical option to get that LB back to his correct depth, but it is still defended because of the "jumps" LBs seem to get in the game.... while against the run.. your linebacker is setting the point of attack at the line of scrimmage, instead of 2 or 3 yards up field...if he sheds the block he is in the backfield and makes the tackle for a loss.... whereas his original alignment if he sheds the block he stops the back at the LOS or possibly for a short gain... where the LB in the gap really pays the dividends is against play action, if you put him in the gap and someone runs play action the QB is gonna take a clean shot because the gap LB is typically unaccounted for...........just my two cents on the topic...

17. Keller

I really don't agree with any of this but if thats the rule then thats the rule.

Can I stay in the gap and switch players after the snap if its a toss or pass or something?

18. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

You are still manipulating the game play at that point.

I want to add that Keller moving guys pre snap had nothing to do with me losing zero, he kicked the crap out of me .

He'll I'd love to manually move a safety to take away a deep post, or move a lb into the flat to take away an out pattern. The reason we dont allow it is because what JR said is right, you cant take advantage of it with the pass because of leaping Lbs.

The only reason you should be able to move a guy presnap is to make sure the other guy isn't putting someone in motion and manipulating coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Counter, why do you think it improves your run defense?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I kind of move my linebackers pre snap. I do this often in Nickel when I want my LBs to stay in their original positions instead of the random backing up, creeping up toward the line, or running over to a WR. I will kind of wiggle the other LB so he stays still in his spot and then I will user the other one or the dline... I am not sure if this breaks the rules either. Drifter, nor anyone else has ever said anything.

21. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

That's why I lost, this cheese.

(I'm kidding)

Back to the concert ... 1st opening act is over.

22. Keller

So what you're saying is, I'm not allowed to switch players now? lol.

Sorry, but I just don't get this at all.

23. Keller

Because Robinson is a beast against the run?

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If someone did the same vs you, you would take your ball and go home.

25. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    This is like talking to a wall...