Moving Teams To BCS Conferences

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by recchem2000, Sep 1, 2011.

?

Should We Allow Non-BCS Teams to Move to BCS Conferences

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

2. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

If it goes though, I think some good parameters for moving would be TCU. They moved to the Big East (the worst BCS conference) from a decent conference (the Mountain West), but it took finishing three straight years in the top 10 and back-to-back BCS bowl games.

3. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

The Big East would at least make some sense, considering that they are looking to expand as it is.

However, I still dont see it as a viable fit.

4. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

But we shouldn't just move teams to move them. Cheez your opinion about TCU not being a viable fit for the Big East doesn't hold water, because TCU is moving to the Big East, there is nothing we can do about it. We can't put them in the Big 12 because it make sense geographically.

5. Cheez

I didnt mean that TCU isn't a viable fit for the Big East (I believe it, but not what I meant). I meant western michigan.

Western Michigan is not a BCS School. They have done nothing to show that they are. They have not appeared in any BCS games. They have not had an insanely long period of dominance. They don't have the fanbase. Hell, they have never even won a freaking bowl game!

• Like Like x 1
  6. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

So are we talking about moving our own teams, or some random teams that haven't done anything to deserve to be in a BCS conference. Then No, I don't want that.

7. Cheez

Mexi wants to move western michigan. I want realism - like always.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yes that is what the vote is for.

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

So then its 3-3 with Cougs vote a No.

10. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

They've won one, last year :D

11. sreese

sreese Walk On

i vote no or we cant move conferences

12. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Use the poll at the top please so I can track it easier :)

13. sreese

sreese Walk On

my bad didnt see it.

14. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

3 Yes.
    4 No.

15. sreese

sreese Walk On

So if you let them move up your going to have to set some nice criteria to get into bcs conferences right?

1st of all western michigan would need a new stadium. 14000 wouldnt hold half of the Big 10s student sections?

16. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yes we would have to come up something, not sure there is anything we can do about the stadium. I asked EA for a stadium editor but got a transfer fail instead

• Like Like x 5
  17. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

18. sreese

sreese Walk On

Still laughing at this:D

19. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

4-4 Bitches

20. MexiRican35

Cheez

If it makes you feel better, I can apply for the Big East. Their academic prestige is far less of the B1G. I just want a tougher schedule. It gets dull 4 games into the conference and I have yet to face a challenge

21. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

5-5...just Darr27z and myself left to vote

22. MexiRican35

Coming down to the wire

23. Cheez

MexiRican35

I understand that you want a harder schedule - and I can certainly understand why. My point is that Western Michigan has done nothing that makes them worthy of being raised to a BCS conference. Furthermore, no BCS Conference would gain anything academically, marketwise, or recruiting-wise that would aid them.

The biggest draw for TCU going to the Big East was location. They are trying to get exposure in those markets in Texas, particularly Dallas-Fort Worth, in order to generate revenue. Did you know that D-FW has the 5th ranked television market in the country? So from a marketing standpoint - it makes great sense to add TCU. Also, if you can get those Texas kids, particularly those who play football, watching Big East Football - you're strengthening your conference as a whole because Texas is a major hotbed for talent. The better the conference, the more $$$ that is made.

And that's what the whole BCS Conference thing is about. Money. Now, lets look at your proposal for Western Michigan: Detroit has the 11th ranked television market - which is very good. However, what can the state offer up financially - not a lot because Michigan (and in particular Detroit) is absolutely devastated financially. Detroit has the highest poverty rate amongst cities in the United States. Furthermore, Michigan does not add a hotbed of talent like Texas does - so you really are not strengthening your conference by tapping in to that market.

Mexi, all I am arguing for is realism - and to be it would be unrealistic to move Western Michigan into any BCS Conference. I hate singling you out, so I'm going to go more broad: it would be incredibly unrealistic to have any of our present teams in a BCS conference - because these schools have not earned it and are years and years away from it. Furthermore, most of our present teams don't even offer any incentive that would make a conference consider an application for acceptance.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MexiRican35

Cheez

I understand the realism that you are talking about. If WMU tried to do this in real life, no one would take it seriously and the idea would be squashed in an instant. And not trying to say you're wrong or anything, but from my point of view, all we is play the games. If we had a full control game where we could raise the academics of our school (we should be able to, but who knows how), build stadiums, raise the prestige, etc., then I could do all the things necessary youre stating. Fact of the matter is, we dont. We only have so many seasons that we get to play. Hardly enough time to garner 3 years of top 10 appearances, BCS bowl games or anything like that. I just want the opportunity to use the realignment and have a tougher schedule. I still havnt decided on whether or not I would want to move, cause I still do plan on leaving for another school in 2 years, and then it would be pointless to have moved WMU to a BCS conf. I just think it would be nice to have the opportunity. Maybe not even with WMU, but with any team.

25. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

If this passes, and people do move, I say you are stuck at that job. Unless you get fired of course. That way, guys are not moving teams to BCS conferences and then bailing for a better job. Just my 2 cents