Archived MT: MLS Playoffs

Discussion in 'TSL Cup' started by Broncos218, Aug 13, 2012.

?

Which mini tourneys would you like to see most? (Can select multiple items)

1. Replicate a real life tourney (such as Champs league)

70.8%
  2. Use only a certain league's teams (such as EPL only or MLS only)

66.7%
  3. 5* only

37.5%
  4. 0.5-1* only

33.3%
  5. Relate star levels to Serie league performance

16.7%
  6. Manual controls only

33.3%
  7. Team play (2 v 2)

33.3%
  8. Other (post below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

Once the season comes to a close, we'll be holding mini tourneys until FIFA 13's release. That's currently 6 weeks, minus however long it takes to get these last few games in from Season 6. But with each tourney held, anyone would be allowed to enter. Furthermore, while most tourneys would be a traditional knockout format, we could also try different setups to be more creative and try to encourage as many games as possible. Also, for the traditional knockout formats, each tourney would also likely include either a consolation bracket or be double-elimination, so that someone doesn't just go 1 and done and then have to sit out a few weeks, only to potentially get knocked out early again. So in all, we want to have some creative tourneys that allow for everyone to get in plenty of games before FIFA 13.

I've posted a poll, so please check all of which sound most interesting to you. These were just tourneys that came to my mind, so feel free to post your own ideas below. But to better elaborate on my ideas, I'll go over each of them briefly:

Replicate a real life tourney: Champions league comes to mind quickly, but a Copa Libertadores might work too (although it would be mostly Brazilian teams). Using aggregate games would make sense here.

Use only a certain league's teams: Would likely mirror an FA Cup or Coppa Italia type of setup, where we just use teams from one nation. We could also try a mini-league, so instead of facing a certain opponent, it has more of a pick-up feel where you can play anyone online.

5* only: Tourney with only the best of the best. Could include a consolation or double-elimination style pretty easily.

0.5-1* only: Pretty much the same as a 5* tourney, but using only the worst teams to see who is really the most skillful.

Relate star levels to Serie league performance: To give some of the lower-ranked players a better shot at tourney triumph, give the best players 1* teams, while perennial cellar-dwellers get to use 5* clubs.

Manual controls only: Lots of discussion recently regarding the use of manual-only controls, so why not let everyone try it out in a tourney?

Team play (2 v 2): Perhaps the hardest tourney to setup, as it would require 4 people online at one time. 16 players (8 teams) would have to be the max, allowing for just 3 rounds. 8 players (4 teams) would also work, and a round-robin style may work best for that. But to try and organize times that work for both teams, the two teams could set a list of times where each are available, narrowing down a specific time where all 4 can get on at once. Another option would be to not set opponents, and instead allow people more opportunities to find an opposing team online that fits their timeframe. In order to encourage people to be online more frequently, this may be best run at the same time as another tourney, allowing people to play head to head if their teammate and opponents are not online.

So go ahead and discuss what you do or don't like about some of these ideas, and if you think you have an idea of your own that would make for a fun tourney, then let's hear it!

2. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

3. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

How about a handicapped tourney. You can pick anywhere from a .5* to a 5* star. Each star level ahead = 1/2 goal difference. So..... Team A picks 2* Derby County and Team B picks 5* Real Madrid. So, Team A starts with a 3 goal handicap. Could be fun to tests your skills by picking a lower * team and you get rewarded with a handicap. Could be fun.

4. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

4.5/5 star teams - I'm pretty sure there are 34 in the game

5. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

Depending on how people entered, we would do as many 5* teams as possible and then use 4.5* after that. But basically, the main idea is using the best teams in the game

6. kaptainkracker1

kaptainkracker1 Walk On

I voted for them all except for "Relate star levels to Serie league performance". I think even the worst players in this league wouldn't have much trouble beating the top guys in this scenario. The one star teams have absolutely no speed and that alone would make it noncompetitive. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion anyways. I think that a tourney of 5* star teams would probably be the most fun.

7. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I will have to let you know if I will play in the tourneys.. I will be starting up a busy school semester next Monday and will have to let you guys know when I know a little more about the classes.

8. rschwep

rschwep Always Rebuilding

Featured Threads:
    Really, any of these sound cool. Anything to get more games with some meaning vs. the people in this community is something I'm on board with.

9. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

great ideas..i voted for the top 4....all formats and i'd be interested in any of the above just voting for what I would like to see the most.

10. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

I really like the idea of 2 vs 2 , but problem with that is; it is gonna require 4 people online at the same time for a game. Scheduling will be a big problem.

Manual controls games will not attract enough interest ( in my opinion)

Relating star levels to performance would not be fair for Serie A guys.

Playing with 5* teams has never been fun for me, it is very unrealistic to me.

I think best way to go is a MLS format league or a tournement with MLS teams. At this point we don`t even know how many people would join, so my vote is for that. Thanks Broncos218 for getting our inputs on this subject.

11. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

What about something like top teams getting 2* and bottom teams getting 4*? Doesn't have to be 1* v 5*, but the idea was just something to give the low-level teams a bit of a slight edge

• Like Like x 1
  12. kaptainkracker1

kaptainkracker1 Walk On

Maybe, but I still think that the difference might be too big. Speed still kills in this game and a 2* team is going to be made up of a bunch of overly slow guys.

Obviously, I'm open to any playing and would still do this if it's what everyone wanted.... I just think it's the worst of all the options.

13. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

Looks like champs lg style tourney and highly-rated teams got a good amt of votes, as did replicating some other leagues. So I think we'll do a champs lg tourney, but since some people are still completing Serie play and we still have playoffs/supercoppa yet to kick off, we'll do a different tourney in the mean time. We'll start out w/ a MLS tourney and I'll post sign-ups today, and the plan will be to do champions league next

• Like Like x 1
  14. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

To kick things off, we'll be starting out with a MLS setup. Teams will be drawn with users, as I'd rather not waste a few more days just for drafting. The setup is still to be determined, but I'm leaning toward a mini-league type of look that leads into a tourney. Full details will be revealed once I have it all mapped out tho. Otherwise, all the rules n such will be similar to regular TSO games. The plan would be to start this Friday, and the tourney would likely run for about 2 weeks (so approximately 8/24 - 9/7). If you're interested, post below. Max will be 18 teams (all MLS teams).

If you still have games to complete for Serie B/C, playoffs, or Supercoppa, you are ineligible to join as of now. If you'd still like to play, you can sign-up below and I'll put you on the waiting list.

SIGN-UP LIST:
    1. Broncos218
    2. thebouncer24
    3. redwings8831
    4. BESHIKTAS
    5. UcanHateMeNow
    6. RedAL925
    7. rschwep
    8. shiftee
    9. LasVegasFC
    10. Zikry
    11. Frenchie1916
    12. juanchoCT14
    13. CxMacx10

WAIT LIST:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  15. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

16. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

i'll join

17. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

In. Can I keep the Galaxy since they are my serie team? ;)

Will be away from 8/31 to 9/3 (Labor Day weekend) though.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  18. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

19. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

I'm gonna give everyone a fair shot at each team, so once we have the people set, there will be a random draw. And I imagine quite a few people will be unavailable Labor Day weekend, so we'll work around it

• Like Like x 1
  20. UcanHateMeNow

UcanHateMeNow 3rd Coast born that means we're Texas raised

Aww what the hell...every tourney needs a whipping boy so why not it be me...

21. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

22. rschwep

rschwep Always Rebuilding

Featured Threads:
    Yes sir!

23. HokieNYC

HokieNYC Walk On

Im IN!!

24. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I'm going to sit this one out.