Mt. Nittany - 2010

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Mt. Nittany - 2010

Penn St. 52, Kent St. 7

Very brief recap right now as I have meetings to get to this evening (I'll try to get more in depth if I get time later).

Evan Royster amassed 160 yards and 2 TDs and Penn State rolled in the season opener. Coach Dunlap played the second string after the first drive of the second half.

Good game leading up to a mammoth showdown at Alabama.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Penn State Stems the Tide, Stuns #1 Alabama 20-17​

August 4, 2010

Tuscaloosa, AL- The Penn State Nittany Lions found themselves as headliners in the college football world today after stunning #1 ranked Alabama (1-1) on the road 20-17.

The Lions were dominated in nearly every statistical category, and never led in the game until the final minute. However three cruicial Crimson Tide turnovers and a missed chip shot field goal by Alabama would help Penn State (2-0) capture a signature win that the program has desperately needed in recent years.

"It was an unbelievable victory," said a visibly shaken Coach Dunlap. "All the hard work we put in during Spring and Summer is paying off. I couldn't be more proud of these guys. To fight through adversity like that builds character, and that's exactly what they did today."

Adversity might have been an understatement. The Lion offense was stagnant and tailback Evan Royster couldn't find any running room. If it wasn't for a 16 yard jaunt in the third quarter, Royster would have been held to less than 30 yards and less than two yards per carry on the day.

However with the offense having problems, it was an opportunistic defense that showed up. They forced three Crimson Tide fumbles, each coming at key moments when momentum seemed to be shifting towards the home team. The costly mistakes would set turn into 10 points for Penn State and looked like they would prove to be the difference.

However, Alabama still had a chance to go up late by attempting a chip shot field goal with 2:30 left to play. However the kick sailed just wide right, and the gasps and groans from the Tide faithful in Tuscaloosa started.

The Nittany Lions proceeded to use a big pass play to Royster and more ball control offense to march down the field and set up their game winning chip shot field goal attempt with less than :30 seconds remaining. Senior Collin Wagner's kick sailed right down the middle and the biggest upset of this early college football season was complete.

The defending National Champions had been knocked off on their home turf, and Penn State's early run of success continues. A signature victory like this one will definately garner national attention, something that Coach Dunlap is well aware of.

"My guys should be getting some attention and praise after this one. I mean we just beat the defending champs on their home turf! It doesn't get any easier for us with games against USC, Utah, and Iowa all coming up. It won't be hard for us to stay focused on the task at hand."

Penn State will go home to College Park to take on the USC Trojans next week in the shadow of Mt. Nittany.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Penn State Hangs on in Happy Valley, Defeats #12 USC 21-19

August 5, 2010

University Park, PA- Penn State is off to a 3-0 start while facing one of the toughest early season schedules in the program's history.

The Nittany Lions used another superb defensive effort against one of the nations best offenses to hold off a late rally and remain undefeated. The Lion offense relied heavily on senior tailback Evan Royster, who scored all three Penn State touchdowns while ammassing exactly 200 all purpose yards.

Sophomore quarterback Kevin Newsome controlled the offense with an efficient passing attack, finishing 14-16 with 247 yards and one touchdown and one interception.

Coach Dunlap said he was again thrilled with the play of his team. "Our guys again played their butts off," Dunlap said. "This is the second of four straight teams we are playing that have been ranked this season. To get another win against a top 15 team is outstanding, and is helping to prepare us for a very tough conference schedule. However, we aren't losing focus as our upcoming games don't get any easier."

The Nittany Lions will face Utah and Iowa in the upcoming weeks, two programs that have also been ranked in the top 25 this season. The rankings, however, have been a controversial subject around the college football world already this season. Penn State is ranked #2 in the Media Poll while sitting at #16 in the Coaches' Poll. The large discrepancy is just one amoung many that have the experts scratching their heads.

Royster said he felt a chip on his shoulder because of these polls. "It's definately something thats on our bulletin board. If those coaches that are voting are disrespecting us that much, then we'll just go out and beat their brains in every week."

Coach Dunlap had a different view. "That's something that I am not focusing on, and let's be honest, it's only the BCS Poll that counts and we all know how screwy and controversial those things are."

Penn State says home next week to take on Utah (2-1).

For all game stats and highlights, log on to www.easports.com/dynasty

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

Defense Dominates Again, Penn State Slams Iowa 31-7

August 10, 2010

Iowa City, IA- The Nittany Lion defense has started to turn heads around the nation. The unit once again dominated a high powered offense and helped Penn State to victory 31-7 over the Iowa Hawkeyes.

In five games the Lion defense has given up only 57 total points, or 11.4 points per game. Many times early in a season a stat like that would stand out. But this team has done it with an early season schedule filled with powerhouses including Alabama, USC, Utah, and Iowa. This success even has their head coach talking.

"Those guys are even starting to suprise me," said Coach Dunlap. "Ogbu, Eric (Latimore), Steve (Colisanti). . .I could go on but everybody on that defense has gelled magnificently and there's no doubt they are the reason for our success so far."

The defensive masterpiece overshadowed a coming out game for sophomore quarterback Kevin Newsome who managed the game well by completing seven of 15 passes and throwing two touchdown and no interceptions.

Evan Royster was as good as usual with 18 carries for 125 yards and a touchdown. Royster again proved he is also an effective weapon in the passing game with three receptions and a touchdown.

The Nittany Lions have navigated their brutal early season schedule to a 5-0 start, and now the path gets easier but its not without it's traps, including next weeks game at suprising Illinois who is off to an undefeated 4-0 start.

----------------------------------------------------

For highlights, including a ridiculous ankle breaking open field move by Royster, go to www.easports.com/dynasty

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Penn State Blasts Michigan 34-3, Reaches #1 in BCS

August 21, 2010

University Park, PA- Penn State continues their dominating defensive season with a 34-3 demolition of the once proud Michigan Wolverines.

The Nittany Lions (8-0) reached #1 in the BCS rankings this week, the first time they have ever held that spot since the inception of the Bowl Championship Series. Penn State now is second in the nation in points per game allowed with only 77 on the season (9.6 pgg).

Evan Royster rushed for 122 yards and four touchdowns, bringing his season total to 15. Royster is now over the thousand yard rushing mark and this performance may put him back in the conversation for a possible Heisman trophy.

"It's the old cliche' that defense and rushing win you football games," said Dunlap. "We preched both of those things back in Spring ball and our summer camps. The guys have listened, learned, and it's paying off. I am proud as hell of this group and the way they've come together."

One story line that has not been talked about this season is the play of quarterback Kevin Newsome. The sophomore is leading the NCAA in passing efficiency with a rating of 182.7, putting him amoung the likes of All American Greg McElroy of Alabama.

Penn State starts a long three game road trip by travelling to Northwestern next week in a tuneup for the highlty anticipated showdown with Ohio State in Week 11.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

CHAMPIONS!

[​IMG]

September 9, 2010

TEMPE, AZ- On the 25th anniversary of Penn State's last national championship, the Nittany Lions have once again reached the plateau of the college football world.

Penn State beat Nebraska 21-7 to claim the crystal trophy and finish an undefeated season at 13-0.

The Nittany Lions dominated this football game from the opening kickoff, scoring three first half touchdowns to get out to a 21-0 halftime lead. The only points the Cornhuskers would manage as a long pass play in the third quarter on a blown assignment by the secondary.

The defense again set the tone, allowing single digit points for the seventh time this season, a school record.

Penn State also finished off the season with another brusing defensive performance against the run, allowing only 58 yards. They finished the season allwoing onlly 390 rushing yards, best in the nation. The 2618 total yards allowed by the defense was good enough for fourth best in the nation.

"This team has more heart, more determination than any I have ever been a part of," said Coach Dunlap in a crazy post game locker room. "These guys are champions in every way. They played every game like they had something to prove, and today was no different."

The hero of this game wasn't Heisman runner up Evan Royster, who finished with a pedestrian 88 yards on 24 carries. Rather, it was the stars of the future who shined in the desert. Junior wide receiver Derek Moye won game MVP honors by grabbing five catches for 121 yards and two touchdowns. Sophomore quarterback Kevin Newsome, who has turned into one of the nations most efficient passers this year, finished 12-21 for 226 yards and three touchdowns.

"We're way to excited to think about the future right now," said Dunlap. "I'll tell you tho what D-Mo (Moye) and Newbs (Newsome) showed you was the future of Penn State football is still very bright."

That future was a topic of discussion immediately after the clock expired on the Lions national title. Coach Dunlap has made no secret about his love of his alma mater, Washington State. Those Cougars fired coach Paul Wulff Tuesday and are reportedly ready to offer the entire Palouse to Dunlap to entice him back home.

"I'm not going to answer any of those questions right now," he said. "We need to celebrate a great championship for Happy Valley today!"

Whether he likes it or not, the nation's hottest coaching commodity will now be in the spotlight until he lays those Washington State rumors to rest. . .

. . .one way or the other.

7. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Congrats sdunlap, very well done!!!

8. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

congrats

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Please look for a presser to answer before we hit the off season

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

Penn State knocks off rival Temple 44-6 in front of a rawkus home crowd for the Owls. The Nittany Lions bounce back after the tough loss to Alamaba, and look to move up on their #6 ranking.

Coach King Dunlap said he was pleased with the performance.

"I really love these guys," King Dunlap said. "I've been getting a lot of negative press lately, which I thought might be a distraction. I'm proud that we were able to focus on our game at hand."

Coach Dunlap was recently dubbed 'King' by rival head coach Frisk. Asked why he is keeping the moniker he replied "I think it has a good ring to it."

The Nittany Lions look ahead to Eastern Michigan next week.

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work with those Nittany Lions. No bad images.

12. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

[​IMG]

Nice work Dun!

13. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

HAKUNA MATATA

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

Lmao!

15. Big D

Big D Walk On

Penn State Blasts Eastern Michigan 59-7

[​IMG]
    Receiver Justin Brown catches a second quarter touchdown pass.​

September 18, 2010

YPSILANTI, MI- After a hearbreaking loss in Week 1 to Alabama, the Penn State Nittany Lions have been taking out their frustration on overmatched opponents.

This week it was Eastern Michigan getting blown out 59-7 by the Lions. In the past two weeks Penn State has outscored their opponents 103-13 as they try to regain the form they showed last year.

In this game it was junior quarterback Kevin Newsome who finally seemed to show tome of the playmaking abilities that fans thought they would see sooner out of him. Newsome passed for over 300 yards with two touchdowns and no interception, and he also rushed for 40 yards and two touchdowns.

In the second quarter Newsome made two throws that had even had the Eastern Michigan home crowed amazed. He threw a 51 yard bomb to Justin Brown into triple coverage but placed it perfectly over the defenders and into Brown's arms in the end zone for a touchdown. Then on the next series he hit Curtis Drake on a quick slant and Drake did the rest, outracing everybody 80 yards for a touchdown.

The defense did their part, only allowin a first quarter score. Eastern Michigan never sniffed the end zone after that.

Penn State now will take their bye week and then head into conference play to open up on the road at Illinois.

-----------------------------------------------------

For stats and video highlights, go to the dynasty wire!

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

Newsome Arrives, Throws Penn State Past Illinois 35-7

Sept. 23, 2010

Champagne, IL- THe Nittany Lion faithful finally are seeing the star quarterback they thought they'd have this season.

Junior Kevin Newsome, while efficient as usual, had been mostly pedestrian this year. However the conference opening game against Illinios changed that.

Newsome went 17-20 for 293 yards and three touchdowns. He also threw no interceptions in leading Penn State to a 35-7 win on the road.

Numbers like that could put newsome amoung the elite quarterbacks in the country.

"I'm just blessed to have this opportunity," he said. "My momma always told me that one day I'd have the opportunity to be somebody special. I thank God everyday for what he's given me."

The humble leader of the Nittany Lions offense will get a much tougher test next week, when Penn State hosts rival Ohio State at University Park.

17. Big D

Big D Walk On

Nittany Lions Overcome Miscues - Roar Past Ohio State in OT 26-20

September 27, 2010

University Park, PA- Two missed field goals, one missed extra point, and three turnovers.

You put that stat line up against the Ohio State Buckeyes and not many teams are going to prevail. However, Penn State found a way to survive, with their defense playing strong and their offense being led by their newfound star, quaterback Kevin Newsome.

The game was a tractor pull throughout, with defenses flexing their muscles. The Buckeye rush defense was spectacular, holding halfback Stephon Green to just 8 yards on 11 carries.

"It was amazing," said Coach Dunlap. "Through all of my years I have never seen guys getting off the snap like they did. It was something else. Obviously we had no choice but to change up our gameplan."

That new plan focused around the passing game and Newsome, who went 29-41 for 468 yards and three touchdowns. . .all three scoring strikes for receiver Justin Brown.

However the game was in serious jeopardy when kicker/punter David Soldner missed two regulation field goals, including the 40 yarder that would have given Penn State the victory in regulation.

"We obviously have some issues at kicker that will be addressed," lamented Dunlap.

Soldner even missed the extra point on the overtime opening score by the Nittany Lions, setting up a make or break defensive stand for the defense. Two sacks and two incomplete passes later, the Nittany Lions were victorious and headed back inside the Top 5 for the first time since the season opening loss to Alabama.

Penn State now faces Iowa in another pivotal Big Ten matchup.

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

Penn State 41, Purdue 25

Nittany Lions blow out Boilermakers behind Kevin Newsome who threw for 415 yards and 4 touchdowns, and ran for 46 yards and a touchdown.

Lions rebound after two losses to improve to 5-3 on the year and stay in the hunt for a Bowl Berth.