MVP S5 Voting

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Nov 29, 2012.

?

Who will win Season 5 MVP

Poll closed Dec 6, 2012.
  1. Baylor QB Skinner

66.7%
  2. BYU ROLB Pauu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. FSU SS Fountain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. GT FS Brunner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. KSU DE Miller

11.1%
  6. SMU WR Freeman

11.1%
  7. TCU HB Catalon

11.1%
  1. Masler

Masler Moderator

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Nick Skinner even though i wish i could vote for Pauu. O well.

Disclaimer: Nick Skinner deserves it but i think Pauu was the biggest impact Defender in the Nation. Manti Te'o Status.

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I never got an email, did Baylor win the NCG?

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

31-28 Baylor in a sim.

5. dakota7

Fargin EA.

6. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

Voting for your own guy in this one would have even been more homerish than usual. He wasn't even the best defender among nominees:

Butch Pauu - ROLB
    80 Tackles, 28 TFL, 10 Sacks, 3 INT, 6 Deflections, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 Safety, 1 TD
    Impact Player, All-American, 2016 Best LB Award

Lamar Brunner - FS
    108 Tackles, 23 TFL, 5 Sacks, 4 INT, 8 Deflections, 1 FR
    All-American, 2016 Thorpe Award

Jason Miller - DE
    50 Tackles, 37 TFL, 31 Sacks, 3 FF
    2016 Bednarik, Nagurski, & Lombardi Awards, All-American, Impact Player

7. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Darkwing jello1717 Any reason Skinner didn't get your vote? I figured this would be pretty much unanimous. Miller's 31 sacks were impressive, but jello1717 voting for a RB that only put up 66 yards and a TD against him vs Skinner who put up 233 yards and 4 TDs in SMU's biggest game of the year?

Haters gonna hate!

8. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Sure, I guess I didn't vote for the MVP but who should be our user Heisman (most outstanding)

Skinner got the back-to-back done :rolleyes:, but even though he was great you can see those numbers almost every year (foreshadow to my freshman QB this season) but you don't see a player reach 30 sacks well ever.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I've always been a big turnover guy and I could never vote for someone that led the nation in fumbles and probably had more fumbles by himself that most teams had with all of their players combined.

10. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

He also leads the nation in National Championships and TD:INT ratio.

Thankfully most of those fumbles were recovered as we finished #3 in turnover +/-.

11. jello1717

I've said it before that I think it's stupid that people (for some reason I honestly can't fathom) give QBs credit for championships and wins. "Kirk Cousins has more wins than anyone in Spartan history." "<insert whomever here> has won more Super Bowls than anyone in history." Etc.

I think it's asinine to pile all the credit on the shoulders of 1 guy when it takes a minimum of 22 guys (which of course doesn't include anyone on special teams or the subs that get playing time every game) to win games so I'd never give credit in MVP voting for wins.

12. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

But isn't Skinner 28-0 now?

13. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I just feel Butch won me games (Virginia) and put me in position to win but my offense let me down (SMU, Baylor)

14. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

I think this is why we can't vote for our own guys. You saw him play every game. You never saw my guy play, and you only saw the KSU guy once. We end up being biased because we think our guy had a bigger impact than other guys simply because we saw him every game and never saw the other guys.

15. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I hear you. It just felt Manti Te'o like. That's all. But like i said in my post, Nick Skinner earned the shit out of it. 28-0, back-to-back NCG. Nuff said.

16. jello1717

I can't tell if you're fucking with me or being serious so I'm sure you're fucking with me, but I'll answer anyway in case you're serious.

Skinner isn't 28-0.
    Braxton Miller isn't 12-0.
    Colin Klien isn't 11-1.
    Everett Golson (or even Manti Teo) isn't 12-0.
    Even Johnny Football isn't 10-2.

None of those guys would be "winning" any games at all if they didn't have 5 lineman blocking for them to keep the pass rush away from them or to open running lanes for them. They need their RBs to gain yards on the ground to take pressure off of them. The wouldn't have completed 1 single pass this season if their receivers didn't run good routes to get open and then catch the ball when it got to them. It wouldn't matter how many points they put up if their defenses didn't keep their opponents from scoring fewer points.

17. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

27-1. jello1717 got me in the regular season week 4 of his freshman year. He has won like 24 in a row since then however.

18. Masler

Masler Moderator

This also isn't real life, in this game, without a good QB, it's tough to win games (specifically user). I'm exhibit A. blLL flo is Exhibit B, he didn't really do shit until Skinner took the field.

19. Masler

Masler Moderator

Skinner has officially won. I was glad to see the amount of defensive guys for once instead of QB's dominating it but in the end a QB still proved his worth.

20. dakota7

I agree with all of those things. However, that argument applies to all players on every team. If all it took to succeed were teammates, then everyone would have outstanding results. The reality is that the margin is extremely slim between winning and losing, and something good is happening for some reason to championship teams. So to say that a player like Skinner, who is 27-1 with back to back BCS championships, shouldn't get more credit for that success is the asinine part of this argument. More often than not, the Quarterback gets that credit because he touches the ball on every offensive play. No one else on a football team has a greater direct impact on the result of his team's game than that player. The only other person in team sports that compares is a starting pitcher, but that person only plays at most every third game, so it really isn't close.

• Like Like x 2
  21. jello1717

I wouldn't say that skinner is 27-1. I'd say that every JR on Baylor is 27-1. I also disagree that the QB is the most important player on the team. Golson is an average QB but ND is still undefeated, mainly due to their 11 guys on defense. Last year McCarron was average but hat didn't matter to Alabama. Stanford is highly ranked this year despite their QB being so bad that he was replaced midseason.

I'm sure for every winning team with a great QB there's a winning team without one. An offense can dominate just as easy with a good HB and O-line as one can with a good QB and O-line (and I don't think an offense can dominate without a good O-line). I'm also of the opinion that the majority of the time a great defense will shut down a great offense so even if the QB was more important to the offense, he's not even on the most important side of the ball.

22. dakota7

I never said every great team must have a great quarterback. That doesn't make him any less important. In Skinner's case, he is a great quarterback on a below average team (compared to other user teams). McCarron and Golson are not great quarterbacks, but they do play on great teams and they are good enough to not fuck it up and occasionally make a play. Which is incredibly important because they handle the ball every play, make all the calls and adjustments. So again I state quarterback is the most important position in sports and when you win all the praise goes to that person and when you lose all the blame goes too....deserved or not.

23. jello1717

We'll have to agree to disagree.

24. dakota7

Ok

25. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Skinner would like to thank all those that voted for him. It's an honor to be named MVP and would like to share the honor with his teammates. He would also like to thank the coaching staff for putting their faith in him and handing him the offense from day one. It was a big reason he chose Baylor. He would also like to thank him mom and his grandma for raising him to be the man he is today. And finally the EA gods for giving him all the talent in the world for which to shine on the field.

Go Bears!