MWC Coaches Spotlight S6

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by BakerWildcat7, Apr 19, 2011.

1. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

Welcome to the first edition of the MWC Coaches Spotlight. Each week we will feature one coach who is making strides to turn his program into a national power. For the first edition we take a look the Colorado State Rams and there head coach IrishBearcat. The Rams are currently 3-0 and ranked 12th in the nation.

Q1. What was the key to your win against Ohio State?

IrishBearcat:
    The defensive effort definitely was the key to ousting the #5 Buckeyes for Colorado State. Some may point to back-up QB coming off the bench (down 3-10) and rallying the team to a 10-0 run in the second half to win 13-10. The offense, particularly QB Austin Pittman, just didn't get it done. The interceptions early hurt Pittman's confidence and he was just unable to get into a rhythm. We lost the turnover battle 0-3, score 13 points, and still beat the #5 team in the country. That's not because of offense, that's definitely outstanding defensive play. We got to the QB and got some key sacks, but the tackling was textbook all game. The defense is the reason we are 3-0 right now, no doubt in my mind.

Q2. Who has been the key for the Ram's defense so far?

IrishBearcat:
    It's really tough to single out a particular group or even a particular player for a defense that has only given up 20 points in three games (top 15 WVU & tOSU). I think the group that has played the best has definitely been the defensive line. We've always been able to generate great pressure from the D-line since my tenure began here at CSU. If I were to single out a particular player (and it was tough!) I'd have to say MLB Elvis Terrell. In three games, statistically, he's totaled 9 tackles, 5 tfl, 1 int, 1 ff, 1 fr so for this season. It was funny because the first game of the season against Colorado he intercepted the first play of the game and it really set the tone for the defense this season. We will be working hard and doing our best to get the defense ready to continue it's success in conference play.

Q3. What improvements will be needed for CSU to make a championship run?

IrishBearcat:
    We need to get consistent play at the QB position, and do a better job of finding success in the running game. QB Austin Pittman has all the potential in the world and you saw flashes of what he could do in game one when he had 5 TDs and nearly 400 total yards before halftime. Against WVU he was picked the first drive, then he was hurt the second. He got healthy over the buy (at least close to it, "Probable") and threw another pick the first drive of the game. He has 0 TD passes and 4 INTs since the Colorado game and that has to change. The running game must get going too. There are several capable RBs on the roster but we are still trying to find the right mix to distribute carries and finding which running plays put our RBs in the best position to succeed.

Q4. Which MWC team scares you the most this year?

IrishBearcat:
    We don't "fear" anyone, but perhaps we could reword the question to which team will pose the biggest challenge? Air Force without question is the team to beat. We're 1-4 against since I've arrived but I believe we're doing a great job by closing the talent gap and putting our kids in position to win every game in conference play. The freshman RB Justin Barrett has quicks that rank up there with the best in the nation and this kid was getting ready for his senior prom a few months ago. There are a ton of talented teams in the MWC and there are no "gimmes" on the schedule. Air Force has set the standard and as an in-state rival, they are definitely the team that will pose the biggest challenge for this season. Our kids will be in great position to possibly upset them when we head to their home turf.

Join us next week when we sit down and talk to Coach Oshiomogho of the San Diego State Aztecs!

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

WHAT?!?! This is sick! Good read Baker!

3. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Yes this was a very cool idea, that read a lot better than I thought it would lol!

4. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

Yea, I figured its an awesome way to get some in-depth looks at each squad......