My avatar

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, May 23, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Since nobody has asked, and since I don't want to misrepresent anything... That's not me in my avatar. It is one of my best friends, who was diagnosed with Stage 4 metatastic melanoma in his lungs just over one year ago, and was given about a 15% chance of still being alive today IF he was randomly placed on the "R05185426" side of a clinical study he signed up for. This gave him a 50% chance of being placed on the "existing" treatment path and a 50% chance of being on the "R05185426" side - a new drug that has been shown to control the spread of these tumors in certain people that display a certain genetic trait.

He's still alive today and doing better than anyone could have expected. This drug originally shrunk his tumors by 33% and has since kept his tumors at this size. They say that at some point this will no longer control the spread of the tumors as they will adjust or something... And then the "terminal" diagnosis will come to fruition. I think about him every day so it's kind of cool for me to be able to have this image that his brother sent me, in my avatar.

• Like Like x 4
  2. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Nice way to support your friend. Hopefully what he's on now will help until something better comes along (and hope that it comes sooner rather than later).

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Cancer effects so many people in so many ways. It has had a direct impact on me losing 3 relatives two of which died in the last year.

I also have my dad who has survived a cancer diagnosis and battled it and fought it off.

Prayers to your buddy man, its a tough tough thing to battle, more power to him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    wow that's great Helli...hope he gets the proper treatment....though I'm not sure what your avi could misrepresent...

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks man. It effects everybody, and that's what makes it such a horrific disease. Both my grandparents well before they otherwise would have passed... One of my best friends... A best friend when I was young (he died at less than 20 years of age).