My findings on the passing game vs Man coverage...

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by jms493, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

My findings on the passing game vs Man coverage...

I just went in practice mode and found some things. Hellisan said man coverage is tough and alot of the defenders will jump route almost before receivers. Well I found alot of that to be true. The only routes I could not complete were "in" routes about 10 yards out and "curl "routes. I was able to complete every other route. "Out" routes 10 yards deep are tough be need very good timing. I was able to complete those almost every time with the perfect release. So I said wtf why can I not complete curls or ins. I did once or twice when I jammed but not enough to think I would ever use this is a real game. I looked at my CBs Man Coverage ratings...92 and 89. They both are very agile quick and speedy.

So then I decided let me practice against a crappier team with lower rated CBs. Well low and behold i was able complete every route in the game vs Man Coverage. The CBs had lower then 80 man coverage. The simply did not react to the receiver the same way. It was easy pickens. I still dont like the CBs jumping routes before receiver making cuts but that seems to be the way EA is allowing the better defenders to be better at pass coverage and set them apart.

Well the part that is scary is that most of us will probably have 2 cbs for the most part of the dynasty. Therefore these routes will continue to be difficult to complete vs man. But everyone is not going to play man defense all day. That will create mismatches when someone figures that out. Plus it is not allowed you need to mix it up.

Well take the info as you may....it is not ground breaking news but further evidence that ratings do seem to matter.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I don't see why you wouldn't play man defense all day.... I know I will be.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

As long as you have guys that can play man defense go for it. Having your LB's covering my cheesy TEs will be fun for me though.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't know why you would ever pass the ball with crappy pursuit AI on outside runs.

5. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

one big different i've noticed this year is body position seems to matter a lot more. you really need to look at your receiver and the defend and how they are positioned when making throws - because there are a lot of throws you can make this year if your receiver has good position on a defender.

for instance i completed a corner route to my TE who had a step on the safety - just needed to make sure the ball was on his back shoulder and the safety wasn't getting there.

same thing for the curls. if you watch and your guys is in front of the defender you can make that throw. if the defender is more off to the side or in front its not going to work.

TEs have a couple of great routes in this game where they run kind of slant/curl patterns (out five yards on a slant then stop and face the QB) and they'll box out any defenders behind them to make the catch.

anyway I still think folks will need to mix things up zone and man to man wise. if you know a guy is playing man to man there are a ton of bunch formations with patterns crossing all over the place, and HBs in particular seem to get open if covered in man to man on routes they come up through the line before making a cut.

plus unlike other years like JMS said, ratings matter. You can play man to man all day long, but if somebody has a good WR and a good QB they can still make plays.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Agreed passing the ball this year is more technical then just slinging it around. Sure some of the same routes tend to get open more than others but that is football. Practice this year will really help you even if it is only 20-30 mins.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Btw I have to say its fun having a top caliber QB. Luck is easily the best QB i've had in an online dynasty and possibly the best i've ever had in an online competitive league going back all the way to Madden 01.

It's a nice change being able to have a bit more diversity in my game and not have running being the end all, be all of my game plan.

8. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

one thing i noticed, leading receivers this year seem to work much better...like on out routes or fade/corner routes. but the sensitivity of the lead is dramatic. in the side league with christian ponder (by no means a great qb, but he is way above avg), the first time i tried to lead a receiver on an out route, i held the stick too far...i think the pass landed in row G