My internet changed

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

My internet changed

My internet provider changed the way they do internet. It was cable internet with 2.5M dl 512k ul. Now it's 2.5M dl 512k ul wireless. My computer's motherboard fried before the changeover happened so my ps3 is hooked up to the wireless by way of a hot spot.

I have some questions:

When I do speedtests whether thru internet connection on PS3 or thru speedtest.net most of the time I get speeds of 2.5M dl 1.25-2.0M ul. Is that normal?

When I do a ping test at pingtest.net I get an incomplete test result because it's not registering packt received/lost. Is it normal? Also, how much would it affect online play vs another user for example?

Last question, when I get my "new" tower soon and they put a wireless card on/in it could it affect my connection to the PS3?

Thanks

2. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

If you're paying for = 2.5M dl 512k ul wireless
    and you're getting = 2.5M dl 1.25-2.0M ul

...then that seems fine. However, the intermittent PINGs due to packet loss will most certainly be witnessed during online play. There are a lot of things that go into a bad online connection with another client, this is one of them. I don't recommend anyone playing wireless. I've never had good results with it as its never as solid as hardwired Internet.

Is there anyway you can get another Cable or DSL modem installed in the room in which you play? Many ISP offer good rates for having a second modem installed on the same account. You should investigate this option versus struggling with a wireless connection with obvious poor transmit speeds.

3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I live in a small town, population 200, that has no other coverage out here right now. I like the provider for their great customer service.

I knew most people don't recommend playing online with a wireless connection. My ps3 always been hooked up with a wireless connection, when we had cable internet it was too much hassle to run the cables from one room to the other to make it wired.