My New Idea

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by DirtycashDylan, Nov 26, 2012.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I've been thinking about a crazy idea for maybe NCAA '14 if people are interested; to take a real world week off between each season. This has many different advantages:
    • builds anticipation for the next season instead of it feeling like all seasons run together.
    • makes it feel more realistic with an 'offseason'
    • gives us time to reflect on our season before we're thrown back into it
    • slows us down at a crucial time for preseason content like Dyl Steele, All Freshmen Team and All Nikpin, along with more prediction-based content that is bound to spring up
    • gives us a break to keep us fresh and wanting to play all year, sort of like a weekend
    • let's people plan their lives around our seasons, if they so choose (ex. If I want to go see my mother in GA and we're in week 10, I can plan my trip for about 2 weeks.
    • I think users will attack their weeks faster than normal and, because of this, our overall
    Any interest in trying this?

2. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

You so cwazy!

3. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

I actually think that's a pretty interesting idea. Especially if we can manage to time things around holidays, etc..

4. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

• Like Like x 1
  5. IrishBearcat

I'd consider this idea if we did off-season in a single night, but taking 4-5 nights to do 12 hours advances and pre-season + an additional 7 day "break" would be overkill IMO.

6. DirtycashDylan

We'll never do offseason in a single night if it means someone has to miss it, not with 1 star teams. How would that make you feel if you were the odd man out?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. IrishBearcat

I'm not saying we should skip them, I'm saying I don't think we should be taking 10-14 day breaks between every season. For me, and most I'd think, quicker is better.

8. DirtycashDylan

We wouldn't be taking 10-14 day breaks, we would be taking a 7 day break. and you don't speak for everyone even though you'd like to.

9. IrishBearcat

When did I say my opinion spoke for everyone or that I would like to speak for everyone?

Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes today dude, EASY.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. DirtycashDylan

Shit like that. A stripper DID piss me off right before I posted that though.

This isn't about advance pace, this is about building anticipation and letting us savor each individual season more instead of it being one long run-on season of NCAA '13. I appreciate you always being the first one to respond to my proposals, I just get annoyed that your answer is always no. You even tried to dissuade Ryno from creating this site lol. I just want to hear more opinions about it.

11. IrishBearcat

I understand the purpose of the posited question, I just don't believe creating a delay will create the "anticipation" you are talking about. Just MY opinion though.

My answer isn't always no, and I never dissuaded Ryno from creating this site nor what that has to do with anything. What you colored Red above was simply me making a guess about what most would want, not me speaking for them. I it's reasonable to posture that most people like to advance quicker.

I can understand how a stripper could piss you off, so I'll let it slide. ;)

12. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

I like the idea personally.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IrishBearcat

Hush, I already spoke for you.

14. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I like the idea as well. Would be a welcome offseason.

15. nikpin

7 days is a long time...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

:)

17. IrishBearcat

My thoughts exactly. I could understand if this was a 1 day average advance league and we crammed in the off-seasons immediately after the season without a break, but we already move at a "relaxed" pace both in-season and off-season. We've also done 12 hour advances every single off-season. So far, reasons listed for implementing this idea:

• The extended wait builds anticipation and gives us more of an off-season "feel"
    • Gives us additional time for content
    • Enables more scheduling flexbililty here with longer downtime
    Point #1- From the time bowls end up until the start of week one is about 8 days for this league. I won't speak for others, but being used to advancing every 48 hours and then having at least an 8 day break from actual games is plenty of time for me. Once we would get to 10+ days territory I think the wait would begin to have a negative effect on my interest.

Point #2 - I'm not sure how much extra time we need for content. Anything for the current season can be done during the 5-6 days off-season takes. As for the upcoming season, I think we should give everyone a bye week 1 so it's recruiting only and we have time for pre-season content. This route would make more sense IMO.

Point #3 - I'm not sure how an additional 2-6 days of down time would really help a ton with scheduling. There would need to be some luck involved for people to "hit" off-season/pre-season on time in order to schedule an event, trip, etc. I'd guess maybe one, maybe two people would ever benefit from this at most per off-season. I'm not sure delaying these extra days for a person, maybe two is in the best interest of the collective.

All in all whatever the Dirty one and the majority want I am fine with, but the above is my view on this idea.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  18. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

True, but it would still be nice to have those extra few days for a break. Maybe then we'd actually get an all nikpin team...or a dylsteele team. Maybe the HOF that never happened... Our content level has gone in the crapper...

19. nikpin

Yea I can't say that I have the free time that I had in 2009-10. I wouldn't mind something like getting to preseason and then waiting till Monday of the next week to advance to week 1. In theory practice mode would work and we could knock out some content as all rosters would be visible. So if we hit preseason on Wednesday it would be a 5 day break etc.

The downside is I feel like anticipation is the highest at the beginning of a new season and you are basically halting it.

20. IrishBearcat

I think this is the biggest key. You're better at saying what I said in 5 paragraphs with only a single line. Good work.

21. nikpin

I agree on your scheduling point. I usually schedule vacation months in advance and I can't say NCAA plays a factor.

22. DirtycashDylan

Our content going to shit is the biggest reason for this. I can't do History, Dyl Steele, work and try to bang bitches in the 4 days it takes us to go from preseason to conference play and I'm not gonna do a preseason piece in week 6.

Irish and Nik, what content did you add this past season? Maybe we should make it to where, if we are adding good content, we can go right through offseason and on to the next one. If content is non-existent like it was this year, we wait and give everyone a chance to bring something to the table. Just because we aren't advancing doesn't mean we won't be on the boards doing content and making predictions.

and the offseason doesn't need to be a week, I was just throwing that out there. We could make it 3 or 4 days or whatever. A week is just a nice round amount of time.

and what is the point of moving quickly if everyone gets burnt out and we don't even finish out the year like NCAA '12? I bet guys like Steamer43 would still be around if we had been doing this all along. Most of us work for the weekend and, if you aren't having fun, being in a dynasty can really feel like work.

23. DirtycashDylan

You schedule your vacation when your parents tell you to.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DirtycashDylan

We're not halting the anticipation, we're cultivating it...with content.

25. nikpin

True, but that's one week a year. I get 3 weeks+48 hours of sick time.