My Options

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Darkwing, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Keller

As I'm sure you're aware I've had more than enough trouble trying to play a game without getting a connection timeout. :(

niuhuskie224, SatansAngel1104, mmorgan184, Gngsta4Lyphe
    All know of my problem first hand

For some unknown reason I have no problems playing NCAA user games but when it comes it Madden I get a big FU. This is just a heads up that if there is a legit interest in buying my game (someone here has mentioned it) that I may send it out the door. If I'm able to play tonight against Fuzzy and hopefully mmorgan (you never responded on here, I check this on my phone unlike xbox live) then disregard this thread.

Just wanted you to know I may be selling it if I can't play any user games which is the reason I joined this league. My other option is to just let my team be the cpu for all games this season and I'll continue to manage them and once my internet situation changes I'll jump back in to play games. Unsure which option is the way to go right now.

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Darkwing - have you been eliminating your router from the equation when trying to connect with users? If you would like, we can just try connecting to some friendly games tonight to see if we can maybe learn more about your problem. You've been a great addition here so I'd like to try and keep you around.

3. Darkwing

Keller
    Usually technology isn't a problem for me but it would be nice to try stuff out. I noticed ppl saying to connect straight to the modem and I tried that but then I could never get the 360 to pick up the internet period.

4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Make sure you unplug your modem for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait for it to sync up, and see if your xbox can then connect. I've noticed if I go straight from my router to the xbox without resetting the modem, I have the same problem you had (no connection). Let me know if that works.

5. Keller

Did you reboot the modem once you direct connected? The xbox may not have been grabbing an IP.

6. Darkwing

Keller, & fuzzyl0gic
    Do I know to reset the modem? Yes
    Did I do it during my frustration? No
    Thanks guys I check this after work

7. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

You need a new router or call your ISP, because they are likely trying to limit the number IP addresses assigned to devices. For example is you have a computer using the internet, while using the XBOX.... kerplunk goes your connection. They do this to limit traffic! Newer routers can assign multiple dummpy IP's to get around this tatic used by Comcast and the likes.

2nd; try and update the firmware on the router. I did this recently and it made a world of difference for me in uplinlk and downlink speeds.. But if your router is old enough you'll continue to have problems.

Darkwing

8. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Very interesting, I was unaware of this tactic by ISPs. I've heard of bandwidth throttling, but not this.

9. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Only thing that makes me wonder is that he said he had no problems with NCAA user games. I wonder if whatever guidelines EA uses for booting slow users on their NCAA servers is different then what they use for the Madden servers.

10. Darkwing

Apparently not, guess I jinxed myself...haven't been able to play my last 2 NCAA games

11. Darkwing

What bothers me is I tried playing satansangel at a friends who uses xbox live all the time and has never had any problems but got kicked there too. Except satans did say he unknowingly had a huge download going at the time so maybe that was it.

12. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Who do you have for your ISP? Some ISPs are notorious for bandwidth throttling and the kind of garbage CWT mentioned.

13. Darkwing

sibellius
    A local provider called metalink. And we know for a fact they throttle back our bandwidth since my brother is downloading shit 24/7. It's supposed to be "unlimited" but they restrict ours to make sure the average customer doesn't get a slow connection.
    My verizon rep warned us about their practices.

14. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

i took my internet str8 to the xBox though after the first couple...
    If they are throttling your internet... could that appear as a "lag switch" to xBox? I was reading that the error message i was receving when playing you that could cause it... (not sayin yer using a lag switch...)

15. Darkwing

The verdict. Bottom line I miss my college apartment and the decent ISP I had then. I will schedule all user games from now on to where I can go play at my friend's place. That is if you guys don't mind the hassle of trying to work with me for about the next 3 months until I get my own apartment. So looks like I'll stick around Keller I at least want to play this damn game online!

As for fixing my internet well it's not gonna happen. CWT 3000 my brother's life is his computer so I don't even need to check the router, I know it's the newest and best or at least no far from it. I CAN'T connect directly to the modem. My ISP is the ultimate douche as they require your MAC address or whatever from the router to provide a connection to you, they don't allow a direct modem connection as it would probably interfere with their total control over limiting the connection they're suppose to provide to us.

fuzzyl0gic

16. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

17. Keller

all you should have to do is provide your ISP with another MAC.