My Self-Imposed Sim Rules

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

After playing the game a while, I have decided not to allow myself certain things anymore, in order to create a better and more sim experience. I thought I'd share a few of these:

1. No five wide sets. The CPU plays too much cover-0, and the temptation to go four verts is too much. After hitting a guy I rarely use for two huge (and easy) TD passes against USAFA, I am self-outlawing these sets. I'm not asking anyone else to.
    2. No money plays. I am working to run the most diverse playbook in TDL. I will not fall back on five formations that always get me what I want. I chose a new playbook that has very little of what I once though necessary.
    3. Realistic play calls. Piggybacks on #2. I am going to run plays based on situations, not because they always work. This will mean punting. It will also mean a realistic pass/run ratio, pass plays that don't always go deep downfield, screens, draws, counters that don't switch to the strong side, etc.
    There's more, but I gotta run. More later.

2. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Here are some of mine...

1) Limit 2TE / 1FB / 1 HB sets to third and short or running with the lead. Too easy to dominate the defense when you run out of those sets.
    2) No #1 WR in the slot. Defense often puts a LB on the slot reciever and it is too easy to dominate with him.
    3) Limit blitzing on defense. It is too easy to come out and blitz 75% of the time to force pressure and turnovers.

3. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Arch', I strive to follow most of what you posted already. But a few thoughts:

- I only use 5 WR sets when absolutely necessary (3rd and 15 late in the game on a must-convert) and never use the same play twice. (My playbook only has one 5 WR formation, and I don't like many of the plays). I also avoid "$$ plays". I will say, though, I have played with some sliders that still make it tough to convert from the 5-wide set (of course, that doesn't include the occasional all-out blitz).

- OM, I'm not sure I agree with your 2TE/1FB/1HB rule, but I have to admit that I don't have much experience using such a big set as a dominant offensive option. Can anyone else chime in? I do recall in some user match-ups, though, how easy it's been for opponents to bounce outside with plays designed inside the tackle behind a lead blocker. With my current book, I love the two and three TE sets, but this is all within ACE (No FB).

- Also, OM, I'm unsure about the blitzing tidbit. Perhaps I'm not accustomed to playing with top-tier players? I only blitz 5-10% of the time, for I feel as though I get burned when I do. For me, playing more aggressive has always ='d giving up more points. I'm very selective when it comes to sending additional pressure, especially more than one blitzer.

- I've played against some users (one is in this league) who like to pitch the ball well after contact (as they're falling to the ground). Another league I'm in limits option plays, by making it so a player has to pitch the ball before contact. I like this rule.

- Arch', just know that I'll be competing with you intensely for the honor of "most diverse play-calling". ; )

4. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Yeah, that is total cheese- A former league I was in had a rule that if you late-pitch (sometimes you press the button as a reflex and then realize that you just cheesed after it happened) that you must run directly out of bounds without gaining any yardage. I wish the game would discourage this by giving you a wild pitch/fumble if you try to pitch over the back/blind while being tackled.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Arch,

I saw this discussion in the Coaches Office last week and chipped in my two cents. I am going to echo what I stated there. As an offensive coordinator in real life I make play calls in the heat of battle every single Friday night. So take the following statements from someone who has his play calling scrutinized and tested every single day, both by opponents and fans.

Counters to the strong side are a realistic part of the game. There is not a thing gimmicky about them. What IS gimmicky is running a counter EVERY single play. The counter in the real world should be run to soften up flow by the defense and works best when used in conjunction with zones, dives, sweeps, and powers. IF you're using the counter exclusively as a run play without setting it up first then you need to take a long look at your gameplay. I look at counters as a play I run the same as a play action pass. But I am concerned that here at TF we are developing an ethos that says the counter to a TE side is cheese. It is not and this needs to be a more clarified issue.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

Never thought about counters to the strong side as cheese. I see it all the time in real football so how can it be cheese?

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Here is something I have gone to doing in my games. I run a play from a different formation every single play. I never allow myself to use the same formation twice in a row.

I used to chart my plays as I played the game (2.5 hour games) and what I found was I was calling about 20 plays. That concerned me as I wanted to "prove" my sim play ability, not only to myself, but to the other members of the league. I remember playing luchini in a game last season and never using the same play twice and I completely dominated him. It was a wonderful and fulfilling moment because I knew I had played a solid, cheese free game.

At the same time I think we need to be careful that we do not vilify a player who is run heavy or pass heavy. I used to be extremely run heavy, (this stems from my experience as an olineman, and as a coach in real life) and I did not cheese plays to get wins, I am simply pretty darn good at running the ball in this game. At the same time I get pretty pissed in real life, and in video games when people run a hurry up spread, I feel it is gimmicky, but at the same time I have had to realize my style and philosophy aren't the "gold standard" and this game is meant to played in diverse styles. So bottom line is what is good for you might not be good for everyone else.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well there was pretty big discussion about it where many long-time members here at TF came down on the side that it was cheese. I think an ethos is developing that is kinda unrealistic and may vilify those that use the counter to the TE side.

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

Some teams run the ball all game and some pass the ball all game, some teams run the no huddle and some don't just like in real life football. I think its interesting that if someone tried to run an offense like the Colts do in real life they would be ran out of here for cheesing.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

The thing is about the Colts offense is that in real life the coaches and players "should" adjust to the play calling. On NCAA 11 the game doesn't always do that and it leads to exploits. Like anything in life it is all about moderation.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I know of a few formations in which counters run to the strong side, as well as power plays run to the weak side, generate weird reactions from the defense. They are realistic plays for sure, but I know a few that seem to really cause the D fits. They stand idle for a tick, and get blown up. The concept, in and of itself, is not an issue. I'm just going to stop using the ones that I know geek out the defense in weird ways. If you're not seeing funk animations, or unreal pauses by the backers, then you have no issue to address.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Let's keep in mind that I'm not calling any player's game wrong in any way. We're pretty solid around these parts. This is just a self-experiment. I want to force myself to play a new game, and to ignore some of the money plays I have come across. That's all. Discussing cheesy play is totally cool. I just don't want anyone thinking they're been talked about, if you know what I mean.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I would add another to this as well:
    • Stat control. I pay attention to this one pretty carefully, but I'm going to make sure I don't use a certain play style to expose a flaw in the game. Again, realistic play calls and less time with the ball should take care of this.
    • Punt. Plain and simple - we don't punt. We either score or turn it over. Punting should be a part of the game, but, in all honesty, it only will be if we self-regulate the go-to stuff that the CPU should be ready for, but isn't. Or, we could just crank up the D :eek:. Just kidding. We're pretty good where we are.

Here's the down side:

If I eliminate this stuff, I also eliminate much of my ability to generate yards and points when the CPU goes aggressive in the second half. Not sure yet how I plan to counter this, but I'm pretty sure, if I'm going to be locked up outside, and be unable to run due to the linemen getting tossed around like sissy girls, I may end up throwing to my HB more often. This was a big source of cheese in previous games, but so far, the CPU seems to cover this stuff much better now. I'm not sure if it's an issue in this year's game. Still, I think my throws to the TE and HB are probably going to go up as a result. If my HB starts leading the team in receptions, though, I'll probably change up the play calling.

14. bdub

bdub Walk On

Nothing wrong with dumping the ball off to the HB in the flats. That's what he is there for. That is a huge part of an Air Raid offense.

15. egofailure

Great discussion, fellas. Arch', you may have been kidding, but I think crankin' up the defense is a realistic option in the future. Of course, it doesn't have to be this season.

I've been experimenting with this a bit and like the way it affects my game. The results thus far?

- I punt A LOT more.
    - I get PUNISHED for silly mistakes.
    - I take more sacks to avoid the mistakes.

This has lead to less yardage/points, more conservative play, and big gains are a result of perfect execution.

Still, I think if we all work hard to make our games as SIM as possible, this whole thing might just take care of itself. The 4-5 user games per season won't hurt, either.

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Arch,

I understand what you are saying about it now...I wasn't meaning to come across as defensive. I only wanted to point out that large part of the TF crowd is against the counter strong side and it is absurd. Now I had not seen the animation you were talking about, but I do know that I have seen some weird stuff when I was playing defense and the computer called a counter. My player has basically developed concrete feet and an attraction to offensive lineman.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Counters are actually my favorite run play, so I know all of them, except the shotgun ones, which totally suck - not quite as bad as the PA boot screens (great design on that one, EA) but close. You didn't come across as defensive at all.

My new Kentucky book has none of the things I once relied on. It's a whole new game for the Irish.

18. egofailure

There's no excuse for that PA boot screen - simply pathetic. Why the freak doesn't EA pay a couple of his to play the shit out of the game for a month or so and let them know what works and doesn't? This boggles my mind.

19. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I've thou
    I've thought of switching books. I know Syracuse like back of my hand. Been using it since madden last year (basically 90% saints book from madden). Marone is head coach Syracuse and was payton's offensive coordinator at New Orleans.

Next season I'll switch it up to something new!

20. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

I agree with some of what you are saying the 5wr set especially. The cpu does not playcall well against it. But other formations I don't see too much of an issue, double TE's? Out of the eye yea but single set back thats a formation you see every Sat. and Sunday. And IMO they do match up vs these sets, they ussually have their safties in the box anyways.

21. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

By 2 TE I mean out of I. 2 TE Ace sets are the same thing as 2-1-2 sets for teams without a FB.

Anyone with recommendations on playbooks to try out. Has to be pro style and offer a balance run and pass.

22. bdub

bdub Walk On

There are so many thing people think that are cheese that I would never have any idea was cheese. If you guys see I am doing something that is not cool, please tell me so I can fix it.

23. Goose

Goose Walk On

I think the fullback dive is the only non-cheese play. You should only do that from now on, especially tomorrow night. lol

Same goes for me, if anyone sees anything cheesy, please let me know. This is my first year of OD's I've only played off-line dynasties against the CPU. Help me out, I definitely don't want to play cheesy.

24. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think the thing to keep in mind is moderation. If you are running something over and over and over again simply because you can get yards then you might be a cheeser. Mix it up, do your best, and even if you do one thing that is cheesey you won't be repeating it over and over so it really wouldn't be a case of you being a cheeser.

25. bdub

bdub Walk On

LOL I may have to cheese just to keep you from blowing me out and making me look like a fool.