My take on all this

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mrluchini, Sep 10, 2010.

1. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

My take on all this

Ok, I thought I would chime in regarding the sliders. First, two of my four games in TDL2 have been down right ridiculous, 70-0 loss to Colorado State and 115-7 loss to BYU. Each game has a story behind it.

70-0 loss to Colorado State – This was not too out of realm of expectations. I lost my QB and RB in the first two drives of the game. Nevada’s whole offensive success rests on the two star seniors. Once they were lost, my ability to move the ball was seriously hurt. The reason the scores are so high is that the CPU does not pull its starters nor change its play calling at any time regardless of score.

115-7 loss to BYU – This game was plain stupid. We played toe to toe for the first quarter and then things started to spiral out of control. I was still playing without my star RB lost in the first week, but it was really my inability to tackle the BYU RBs that lead to the blowout. It also didn’t help that I turned the ball over 12 times, including 8 fumbles. I will admit that as the game spiraled out of control, I started taking more risks which lead to BYU posting 52 points in the 3rd quarter. In the end, I was going to lose this game, but it was uglier than it needed to be and my biggest issue was that I could absolutely not stop the BYU RBs. While they are decent players, they are not 90+ runners (both are mid 80s).

I have now also played two games with these sliders in TDL and am 1-1. My game last night with Air Force was good. My only issue was bringing down their RBs just like it was against UW and my games in TDL2. Their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string runners were all running through several tackles while ripping off big gains. Ultimately, the game was lost because of my mistakes as I through two INTs that were taken to the house. My biggest issue it the unrealistic ability for the CPU runners to shed two and three tacklers before being taken down.

Now, I feel that at the base of the slider issue is the desire for sim games. What we need to be honest, are we really seeing sim style games. The desire for wins and losses (outcomes) in my opinion is irrelevant to the question. If a set of sliders are still beatable (as we see with ND vs. Mich) is that what we want even though to win we must play in a style that is not sim to the team we are using? I would argue that while ND won the game, it took a game plan that was far from sim (20% pass – 80% run) versus how ND (albeit based on only one game) really plays (42% pass – 58% run). Results like that are, in my opinion, not sim and we are getting too hung up on wins and losses. Also, I believe for these games to be sim, it’s not about keeping the yardage and scores in line, but playing as the teams would normally play on Saturdays.

One other thing to keep in mind, most of teams in the league are the better teams in college football. The expectation of the top programs is to go undefeated. As Mac Brown stated after Texas beat Rice last Saturday, the goal at Texas is to win all 13 games. The fact that some of the teams in our league are going undefeated (or one loss) until they meet another user in a conference championship or bowl game is not an issue to me. If we start having some of the mid tier teams ripping through their schedules unchallenged, then we might have an issue.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I fear with all this tweaking of sliders that is going on, we are getting away from the purpose of the league, to have fun. If it starts to become a huge bitch fest (as it seems to be headed) I am afraid the league will head down a path none of us want it to go.

2. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

LMAO 115-7 LMAO.. That is so sad that i can only LMAO.. I didn't even read the summary yet but that score is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo retarded i had to post this 1st

3. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

8 fumbles! hahahaha

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I like your post, and see your points. I do have one, civil question. Why do we offer the option to change your playbook if we have to run the EXACT style of the team on Saturday? Up until this year Notre Dame was a pro style offense that relied on the run to open up the play action. Coach Kelly comes in and they switch. Well if (this is all conjecture stay with me) Coach Easy took over they would become a run first team. Isn't that what we are aiming for? To run our style, create our "dream" dynasty? I admit a 20/80 split is skewed, but I also created a gameplan where I wanted to run the ball and not make mistakes. This was a rivalry game, and I didn't want to give momentum up. I took away risks, and played the hidden yardage game. I got pretty good pass defense. The stats are not what many of us would call unsim, if it was Alabama, or Georgia Tech. But if we are expecting the same offense as the team runs on Saturday then it is unsim. I didn't recall we had to run our teams that way, if we did, I would be Alabama not Notre Dame.

5. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

52 points in 1 qtr by 1 team..... i'm not even gonna read anymore. This is just out of control.. and just plain old stupid.. If you actually played the whole game much respect to you mrluchini.. I will never say a bad word about you in my life!

6. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I see your point, but I tend to lean towards playing the style of the team you picked. I have Nevada in TDL2 and am not too in love with the Pistol offense, but I stay with it to try and be true to the style of O Nevada plays.

I guess it's just a different way to look at what is sim and what is not.

7. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

It was just stupid and I admit I helped blow the score up once things got out of control by playing stupid. It was one LONG game.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

What does Arch think?

I take not sim as being where you do things that are unrealistic, that take advantage of the game, and would not be seen as within the spirit of the game. I guess it is a philosophical issue here. I think playing a style of game embraced by Joe Paterno, Jim Tressel, Bill Parcells, and many other great and not so great coaches have run, is not unsim.

But I CLEARLY understand your apprehensions as well, and respect that.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Also, I will be honest with everyone. After my first game I felt like David Crist let Purdue hang around because of the mistakes. I decided then I was not going to let him almost lose another game. He is now going to manage the game. If a team can shut down my run game, then they will force me to throw. But if I play a game, similar to PSU-OSU in 08, then I will simply punt play d and try and squeak out a tight one. That is my philosophy and I think you will see stats that reflect this.

10. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

115 - 7 should lead to at least a 3 week suspension if not an all-out banning! ;)

11. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I dont disagree. ;)

12. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Sup guys,

I just happen to come across this post (like to lurk on the boards at TF) and I must say... WTF?

How does a team put up 115 points? How many minutes are you playing on? How does a team put up 115 points? Did you just hail mary it down the field every time and they kept doing a pick six?

Oh and how does a team put up 115 points? lol

13. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

It was pretty freaking ridiculous. It was 28-0 at the half and then all hell broke loose in the 3rd. They put up 52 points which included 3 fumbles returned for TDs. About half way through the third I started burning the clock to get the game over, but I could not stop their running backs. They were impossible to bring down. In all, I turned the ball over 12 times, 4 picks and 8 fumbles. My QB was 9 for 29 for 180 yards, 1 TD and 4 INTs. I had a total of 21 rushes for -36 yards. BYU on the other hand threw for 487 yards and ran for 208. They kept throwing and running the whole game. It was freaking STUPID!!!

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Those Mormons, you have to watch out for them!

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

There's nothing in any of these posts that does one thing to help. Let's try a different approach, shall we?

16. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

point taken

17. Goose

Goose Walk On

I lost a game as Kent State to Penn State 98-21 in TDL2. Thankfully Arch had advanced when I was in mid game and only took a 48-3 sim loss.