NASCAR 14 Will Have Online Leagues...Interest???

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by Papa Perry, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I'd be very interested in this on the 360 side. With Shaun Mason and Drifterbub approval I'd be willing to even run it. That's for them to decide. But for now please post if you're interested in this and what system you would be using...

Source:
    http://extramustard.si.com/2014/02/04/nascar-14-online-ps4-xbox-one/

NASCAR 14 is the first big sports title to launch in the new year, but even with a release window hitting the week of Daytona (Feb 18; Xbox 360, PS3, PC), not much is known about the game. We went straight to the source, going under the hood—it’s a car game, see?—with Eutechnyx’s EVP, Ed Martin, to find out what NASCAR fans should expect from this year’s game.
    ONLINE LEAGUES
    For the first time, up to 16 players can create or join a league, and then race their own Sprint Cup season.“Without question, this was the most requested feature,” says Martin. “We expect hundreds of thousands of people to be running their own season.” People win points depending on how they finish, with other stats—such as average lap speed—also tracked for comparison. Adds Martin: “We heard of a lot of gamers actually doing this offline. They would hold private races and keep track of the stats themselves. Now we handle all of that for you.”
    MULTIPLAYER MADNESS
    One of the most frustrating parts about racing online in past years is the randomness of who you faced on the track. There could be a five-year-old kid racing against a field of experts, and the results were crash city. That’s going to change thanks to NASCAR 14’s dynamic field matching. Instead of getting dumped in a random lobby, the game now keeps track of how you race and places you into a group based on your skills. “The game is keeping track of your top speed, and it’s keeping track of this on a per-track level,” says Martin. “We know how good you are on a lap, we know if you’re out there wrecking a lot, and now you’ll be able to race against people who are just as good—or as bad.”
    LINEUP CHANGES
    The good: New drivers are making their debut in NASCAR 14. The bad: Some virtual favorites had to be removed, for the time being, from the lineup, including Bobby Labonte and Jeff Burton. “We needed to have the game submitted for Microsoft’s approval back in November, so we had to have all of the 2014 season finished in our game before the 2013 season ended in real life,” says Martin. “It was a virtually impossible task to field all of the drivers, not knowing who was going to have a ride. So what we did is, we filled out the lineups as a stopgap. We went to NASCAR and asked who they thought would fill out the field, and we included some of the younger guys. We added guys like Kyle Larson and Paulie Harraka, then we also signed a driver from the Nationwide Series named Ryan Reed.” Look for an online update to fill out the field with anyone initially omitted.
    NO XBOX ONE OR PS4 VERSIONS
    “We took a good, hard look at it, but there just isn’t enough hardware out there yet to justify the cost of development,” says Martin. “The nail in the coffin was when a guy from Sony talked about Gran Turismo, and how their new game was launching on PS3. He said something like, ‘Why would we put Gran Turismo on a console that has zero units in the market when there are 150 million PlayStation 3s out there?’ Well, it’s a great question. It costs us about $6 million to develop a next-gen version of NASCAR. You have to sell an awful lot of copies in order to meet the development costs, on top of all the licensing. There are about 4-5 million worldwide combined units of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, so it just doesn’t add up for us right now. We own the rights, and we absolutely have plans, but it won’t be later this year.”
    TRADING PAINT
    Retaliation is the name of the game with NASCAR 14’s AI. In past games, when you raced a road course the line of cars looked almost like a train, with the AI afraid to pass. This year, not only are the drivers more aggressive, but if you bump them, you’ll get an almost immediate response. “Last year, if you bumped somebody, they’d chicken out and get out of your way,” says Martin. “The AI drivers will come after you now. They won’t be wildly aggressive, but they’re not going to give up their spot, either. It’s a lot more realistic with the amount of attitude that’s in the game.”

2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Sounds like a good game, I like what they put about the new AI.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Papa Perry

My only concern is whether or not the leagues will have CPU drivers to make up the rest of the 43 car field. If not, the bigger tracks like Talladega and Daytona will be a bore. Also curious as to how they handle the "Commish Role" as to whether or not you can pass it off to someone if you can't make a race or if a race can be run with drivers absent at all.

4. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I'm kind of curious about the Leagues as well. Would everyone just race against the CPU, or be out there on the track by themselves? If *insert AI driver crashes in my go around, does it hold the same in other people's races as well?

edit : I'm interested, I'm just not sure how it works. I'd like to see that first.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Very cool implications. Too bad it's not next gen.

Will be interesting to see what new information comes out closer to launch. Could be pretty popular if done right.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    If they actually make the game not suck like the past few iterations, I'd have interest.

7. Papa Perry

I'll keep an eye out and post any information that I find. Right now I intend to get it day one so if much more information doesn't come out I'll try to test it out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. publik drunk

publik drunk King of the East

Im definitely interested if everything works out right. There hasn't been a decent console online nascar game since 09 when ea dropped the series. Is this the same company that made the last two games? They had promise offline but their online was laughable. Keep me posted about the game and if its solid I will definitely be interested.

9. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I've messed around a bit offline with this game yesterday.

MUCH better than the last release.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

11. publik drunk

Let me know when you get a chance to get it online. im interested in this

12. publik drunk

Picking the game up today. I was looking at some videos on the league part but haven't seen anything on wether the cpu fills out the field. You can do custom schedules and when you add a race you setup a date and time for that event. Not sure how set in stone that time is though. The league creator can also change options for tire wear/Fuel, race length, custom setups, flag rules, driver assist on or off, and custom setups allowed or not.
    I plan on getting on tonight and messing around with it when I get off work, if anyone wants to race tonight after 9est let me know. Time to dust off the wheel.

13. publik drunk

Loaded the game up and created an online test league to test it out. Couple things I found:

1) No AI cars. I was able to start a race by myself through the league setup and no AI was put on the track.

2) Scheduling the races does not matter. The league creator can start the event whenever they choose

3) The only practice is before qualifying, you qualify then the next stage is the race.

I only ran a couple laps on default settings but the game feels good. Depending on the interest we gather I think it would be best if we didn't run plate tracks unless we get at least 5 or 6 people for obvious reasons. A couple of two car drafts is not really appealing to me personally, I just feel plate tracks would be better 5 plus. As far as assist and setups what is everyone's thoughts on these? I think we can have alot of fun with this game mode if we can get some stuff organized and gather some interest.

14. Papa Perry

Got the game today but won't be able to mess with it until probably this weekend. As far as assists and everything else, my idea is to basically just look around and see what others have done. Apparently people have been doing NASCAR leagues for years and have just been keeping up with points and stats on their own.

15. publik drunk

Yeah I ran a little on pc on the old papyrus servers I was never really competitive enough or really put the time in to tweak the setups and what not. I know the assist wont be a huge issue as your going to run faster than those with assists on, its the setups on whether we allow them that will be the true seperator. If you wanna run some online races this weekend I'll be around just tag me on here.

16. Papa Perry

10 dash 4. Go ahead and add me on XBL when ya get a chance. GT is Papa Perry.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I'm in for some test races. Darth Tyranitar for my GT

• Like Like x 1
  18. publik drunk

I'll send both of you friend request when I get off in a couple hours

19. Papa Perry

I got to play some last night. I find it very hard for me to keep the car steady in the turns. I'm just using the standard Xbox controller. Anyone use a racing wheel?

20. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Its a pain in the ass with a controller.

21. publik drunk

Plugged the wheel up last night a ran a little. It just doesn't feel the same as nascar 09 did with the wheel. I can use it at the bigger tracks but the smaller was a pain. Ran alot of Dega races online last night and it feels really good. Got a pretty competitive setup and it was the most fun I have had in nascar online in years.

22. Papa Perry

I think I'm gonna just invest in wheel. Might find a used one and if I like it I'll save up and get one a little better.

23. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Ill probably just get me some FPS freeks for my controller. Already have a Razer controller.

If the wheel worked on the one too, I'd think differently.

24. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:

This game is broken. Tried to play the Daytona 500 for career during the storm delay.

Apologies for the shaky camera, but i'm recording on my cell phone.

25. publik drunk

Thats weird. I have raced plenty of races and never seen that yet.