National Championship Article Is Up

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

National Championship Article Is Up

On the main page. Enjoy! Great game again Dat, it is a shame someone had to lose. With the way your attack is run, and with who you have coming back next year, I think you are a pretty safe bet to make it back.

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Outstanding write-up of a great game. Nice.

3. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Nicely done, Basis. Again, great win. I really mean it.

The first half went about as well as I could have hoped. You just made the adjustments and by the time I adjusted to that (and I never completely did), it was too late.

Some comments:

-That Spikes fumble was a user big hit, and a huge play. Great job.

-I noticed that Rudolph was blanketed in the 2nd half, and in retrospect there were several ways I could have beat that coverage, but I just didn't make the adjustment. I kept forcing things that were working in the first half.

-Your TD pass to Thompson on the post was a great read. I played a zone cover 3 and blitzed the FS with the hope that you would make a quick throw or wouldn't have time to find the deep middle. It was exactly where you needed to go on that play.

-The INT by Pierre-Louis was the play of the game in my opinion. Tate had 4-5 yards on him, but he closed in an instant. That's the one that allowed you to go up by 2 scores. Otherwise, I think it would have come down to whoever had the ball last. I actually snapped a pic from behind Clausen just after he released the ball and it looks like an easy completion. I then played the video (which I saved) and you can see the ball bounce off Tates hands and into P-L's. I didn't realize that in the game. During that game, I was thinking "how the hell did that just happen". Just a costly drop by Tate (and we know what that's like the last 2 weeks in real life, unfortunately).

-That last TD catch by Kamara, like several on the day for both of us, was incredible.

Congrats again. You deserve the title.

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I was score watching the game and I figured you guys just decided to only play 7 guys on defense each. I guess you're both just offensive juggernauts.

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Thanks Raz and Dat. I didn't really realize what went on with that P-L int either. I grabbed control of him and hit the sprint and "Y" at the same time just HOPING he jumped the route. Based by the picture, he didn't exactly do it, even though I wrote that into the article because I had no idea Tate had it bounce off his hands. I about fell out of my chair after that one.

The amount of catches where the receiver went high and got his legs swept out and landed on his back/neck/head and still hung onto the ball was CRAZY! For both of us! Thinking back, I think you had no less than three, and I had at least two. Big time players making big time plays in huge spots. Kamara's was incredibly stellar, because as the picture showed, he got a helmet to a spot you REALLY don't want a helmet to hit you. I hope he was wearing a cup! Either way, that would still KILL, and it was a little comical that he was still on the ground after the catch.

I think that was the most incredible game I have ever played in NCAA 10. I have had a couple in TT2, but nothing quite like this one, probably because I won. I have never had to think as much about what the opponent was doing on both sides of the ball, and adjusting without OVER adjusting was so difficult I can't even begin to tell you. It was a great game, and I am obviously pumped up that I finally got a big win like that.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Haha, that is certainly how it played out.

7. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Yeah, my defense couldn't do much. I had a couple lucky stops in the first half, but that was about it. The punt I forced near the end of the game was purely b/c of Basis running clock with a 10 point lead.

I know you user picked that ball with P-L because I saw the message pop up after the play. Regardless of whether it was off the tip, it was a great play on your part. Your 2 user-caused turnovers won the game.

The high-ball spectacular catches were unreal. I used to run a play last year to Floyd where I'd intentionally throw it high to the post and let him try to jump and make a play. This year, I haven't had any success with it, so I never direct the ball high. It was Clausen just throwing it where he had to I guess. That ball to Kamara was a great example. 5 yard hitch with a defender right next to him and Clausen threw it high and away from the defender. I can't take credit for that or the catch unfortunately.

Best user game for me in terms of complete straight-up play and drama. Basis plays by the book. Even asked to go for 2, although I didn't get the option to call a play because either something got screwed up or I hit FG block before he paused. I doubt it though because I was halfway expecting the 2 point try. That's why I paused again to see if it would fix it. I audibled to a random defense, which actually almost worked. Probably better than what I would have called.

And for discussion purposes, when you kicked the FG early in the game on 4th and goal or 2 or whatever it was, I would have been totally cool with you going for it. I think last year it was too easy to pick up first downs, but now I think the rule should be if it happens in real life, we can do it in the game. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting to have a situation where I have a 4th and 7 from the opponent's 35 and I go for it because my kicker stinks and it's not worth punting. I think it's totally fair game, but I can see someone (no one specific) calling it into question.

Oh, and it was #1 in my spectacular games list, or whatever it's called in the game. Only bad thing about it was that I lost. I couldn't even get upset at myself about losing the lead, you earned it back with the fumble & int, and your defensive adjustments on Rudolph.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I also think that if I went for it, it would have been in-line with sim play. My reasoning for kicking at that juncture was that it was just too early in the game to pass on points. If I went for it and didn't get in, I'm down 14-7 and, even though you would have been up against your goal line, the momentum was in your favor. By kicking the chip shot, I made it 14-10 and kept momentum fairly even it felt. If I could have stopped you and gone on a nice half-ending drive, it could have been 17-14 me heading into the second half. Didn't play out that way, but that was my reasoning.

I always pause and alert the other guy if I am going for it or kicking. If I am going to go for it, the least I could do is let you have a play called to try to stop it without wasting a time out.