National Championship Picture Season 1

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by niuhuskie224, Aug 8, 2011.

?

Who will be playing for the National Championship?

1. Oklahoma

63.6%
  2. LSU

45.5%
  3. Notre Dame

18.2%
  4. USC

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

With only 2 regular season weeks remaining and conference championship week approaching, now would seem to be as appropriate as ever to break down who could play for the National Championship.

Oklahoma Sooners
    Ranked Number 1 Overall
    10-0

Games Remaining
    @ Baylor week 13
    Home. vs Iowa St. Week 14
    @ #24 Oklahoma St. Week 15

Case for the Sooners: The Sooners are undefeated and have rarely been tested this year. If they run the table they will be the only undefeated team in the nation and have won the Big 12. There only remaining game that could be a bump in the road is at Oklahoma St. Week 15.

Case Against the Sooners: The Big 12 isn't what is used to be. It is down 2 teams this season and will not have a conference title game. Will this matter to the voters? Is a 1 loss Big 10, SEC or Pac-12 champion better then an undefeated Sooner squad?

Outlook: Unless they stumble against the Cowboys, they will be playing for the national title in 2 months.

LSU Tigers
    Ranked Number 2 Overall
    10-1

Game Remaining
    Home vs. Arkansas Week 14
    SEC Conference Championship vs. Georgia bravejaf

Case for the Tigers: Winning the SEC would be huge. The SEC is still the premier league in the NCAA and should be more than enough to get them to the title game, even with one loss. Defeated Florida 20-14 and Alabama 24-21 (both user games, not that the game counts that in the polls, but for us it matters). Only loss came out of conference.

Case Against the Tigers: Only loss is to USC, which ranked at number 4 could have a case for leapfrogging LSU. The other common game between USC and Florida is vs. Washington. LSU won 13-10 while USC took out Washington 35-7. Will either be a factor in the final vote?

Outlook: Winning the SEC Title would clinch the title game birth. Nothing is a given thought when it comes to the SEC title game (Just ask the Tennessee Vols of 2001 who were a title game victory from playing Miami for the National Title.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    Ranked Number 3 Overall
    10-1

Games Remaining
    @ Florida Week 14
    Big Ten Title Game vs. Iowa uncleho

Case for the Irish: Things have gone above and beyond what MoonBBad could have dreamed in year one. They won there division in the first season of conference play and will play in the first Big 10 title game. They also hold a victory over USC at home 31-28 to give them the edge in the rankings.

Case against the Irish: 2 difficult games to go on the schedule. A user game against Florida Ceewo and then the title game against uncleho They also have the worst loss of the 3 non-undefeated teams going for the title game, a 21-20 loss at home to the Nebraska Cornhuskers. When it gets down to the final vote, how much will that matter?

Outlook: You have to imagine they get the nod over USC because of the victory at home, but that Nebraska game would be the one that eats at Irish fans if they were overlooked by the voters in the final poll. Nothing is for certain with this team either as a trip to the swamp is never easy, and a title game match against Iowa which has played well in there own regard.

USC Trojans
    Ranked Number 4 Overall
    10-1

Games Remaining
    @UCLA Week 14
    Pac 12 Title Game vs. Oregon St. bawvu97 or Oregon cnic75

Case for the Trojans: They have the best win among the group here with an early season home victory over LSU 24-21. They also beat a common opponent in Washington by 28 where LSU won by only 3. The only loss of the season was by 3 points to Number 3 Notre Dame. Also have the easiest schedule remaining with UCLA (3-6) as there only non title game opponent remaining.

Case against the Trojans: Barely beat Syracuse at home to open the season. Outside of LSU and Notre Dame, the schedule has not been as difficult as LSU (Alabama, USC, Florida) or Notre Dame (USC, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida). There loss also came the latest of the three, which is always the worst thing that can happen in a "What have you done for me lately" league.

Outlook: As of right now, USC needs the most help. They must run the table and get help in two of the following four places

Oklahoma St. over Oklahoma
    Georgia over LSU
    Florida over Notre Dame
    Iowa over Notre Dame

If two of those things happen, it is hard to imagine USC not making it to the title game. There is always the possibility that they get help from the voters. Unfortunately, the loss to Notre Dame took the controls away from USC and gave there fate to the voters.

Prediction
    Oklahoma runs the table and LSU runs the table setting up an LSU vs. Oklahoma title game. Notre Dame loses to Florida but defeats Iowa to get to the Rose Bowl. USC defeats UCLA and wins the Pac-12 falling just short of the title game (moving to 3 in the polls) and playing Notre Dame in a rematch at the Rose Bowl.

LSU defeats Oklahoma for the title, USC defeats Notre Dame in the rematch and we have a great debate over who the real champ is. LSU, one loss, only to USC who is number 2.

HovaTheGodMC
    abolishthefed
    uncleho
    MoonBBad
    Ceewo
    @Killer Nuts
    bravejaf
    cnic75
    bawvu97
    FacePlant City
    I Peench

(I know this isn't the MVP thing, but I wanted to get this up before we advanced tonight and this was too old.)

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

God this really is a battle of teams I hate. I'll be rooting for BCS chaos with 3 of the top 4 squads losing. I have long standing hatred for USC and Notre Dame. Plus I am not a big fan of LSU and beating them is my only shot at a BCS bowl. Only good thing is Michigan fell completely out of title race.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    Nice job there mr huskie

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

lmao, I hate ND fans and I dislike the SEC in general. I don't have a hatred for USC, but not really a big fan of the Trojans.

---

One thing that seems to be overlooked in this write up...

He talks about how tough the B10 title game and the SEC title game will be, but he just says that he needs 2/4 of those things to happen (Also wrong huskie!, if ND loses to Iowa and Florida, you're still not in! ;))... basically he's saying the PAC12 title game will be a cakewalk.

No respect for bawvu97 or @cnic575 ! Kick his ass!

5. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I've got ND/Oklahoma, though I hope we can have a user matchup. I've got all the faith in KillerNuts, just not in his quarterback...

• Like Like x 1
  6. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

It goes without saying that those guys are going to give me a run for it. I don't have an easy road, just the easiest.

7. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Great write up man!

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I'll never say this again but screw it, I'm rooting for ND!

• Like Like x 2
  9. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Thanks

Appreciate that you guys all read and enjoyed it. Makes me want to do it again.