National Signing Day thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Jan 30, 2012.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Wednesday is National Signing Day and since we are mostly die hards college football fans, what are your school's classes looking like? Any surprises, good or bad that you are expecting?

I know VT looks to have a few nice pickups heading their way on Wednesday.

UVa has pretty much closed out their class and I don't see any pickups this week. They did a nice job of filling out the class well in advance. Very good looking class. It addresses needs and has a handful of guys that should be pretty legit.

I assume OSU will cash in big with Urban this week.

Mormon - what's the deal with BYU? I see that they have some interesting recruits.

Plague - what about UGa?

Bulldog - you still alive?

Bdub - How about the other Utah school?

2. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

UGA has an excellent class coming in.

We have John Theus #1 ranked left tackle in nation out of Florida. He's listed at 6'6 292lbs.

To push at RB Isaiah Crowell they got 4 star recruit Todd Gurley.

4 star Jordan Jenkins- a 6'3 275lbs DE looks to fill in as depth on a already good DLine .

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Pro

Pro Walk On

Urban was able to snag this 4 star corner away from Michigan

This is a defensive highlight but he can also play some wideout potentially. Could be the next Chris Gamble.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pro

Pro Walk On

I love OSU's class, especially on the defensive and offensive lines.

Joey O'Conner OT: I have a feeling by the time he leaves Columbus he will be one of my favorite players. I love how he finishes his blocks and plays with a mean streak. Reminds me a lot of Justin Boren.

Jacoby Boren OL/DL: 3rd Boren brother to attend Ohio State (the aforementioned Justin and current FB Zach). Plays with tenacity and with lack of depth among offensive line, could see some time early.

Noah Spence DE: Has great speed off the edge and seems to posses good play recognition along with decision making. Could be thrust in the defensive end rotation right away.

Adolphus Washington DE: Posses great power and will be a good compliment to Spence's speed. He is ranked as the #2 DE and Spence is #1.

Bri'onte Dunn RB: Great mix of speed and power. Reminds me a lot of Beanie Wells.

OSU could also pick up the #2 wideout in Savon Diggs. He took a visit here recently and from all reports was blown away. With Spence and Washington (OSU picked up a couple of other nice defensive line recruits but both will probably redshirt) the Buckeyes' line next season will be very talented. John Simon, Jonathan Hankins, Adam Bellamy all return next year. Nathan Williams who may be even better than Simon, will probably be granted a medical redshirt and all likeliness return next year too. As a whole, the Silver Bullets could return 10/11 starters in 2012 (The only departing player will be Andrew Sweat, but we are deep at linebacker)

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

So, just like every year, Miami and FSU are cleaning up and we get to hear all about how they are back. And then, every year they completely underwhelm on the field.

6. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

nice to see that WR stay at Missouri

7. Goose

Goose Walk On

I read that every Buckeye verble has signed their letter of intent.

8. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

man Penn State is sinking...just read that the Mornienwheg kid (the coaches son) signed with Florida. Hopefully the Illini with this new coach can make some headway

9. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Goose - any unexpected pickups?

UVa has all LOI's in and signed. No decommits, no surprises. Overall class will be probably in the 20-30 range. Love this class. Meets needs.

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

Just nailed down both of these kids.

11. Pro

Pro Walk On

Weave, OSU is still in the running for Stefon Diggs who won't commit today. He's taking a official to Maryland and will announce on the 10th. Depending on who you ask Diggs is the #3 wideout.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  12. Goose

Goose Walk On

But I read signs are pointing to him staying near home and playing for Maryland.

13. Pro

Pro Walk On

There's a saying we all better get used to goose..........with Urban all things are possible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Diggs recruitment has been very fluid. At one point it was Florida, then he cancelled his visit to visit UVa instead and UVa became a serious contender, then Urban came calling and OSU took the lead. Then Maryland hired an absolute scumbag asst. named Mike Locksley. He has strong ties to the Beltway and is somehow well liked. While at New Mexico, Locksley was terrible as a HC, the punched an assistant and this past season a kid he was recruiting got caught speeding in a car owned by Locksley. With his hiring, Maryland took UVa's spot as the hometown team.

When the dust settles, he'll realize that going to Maryland would be an absolutely terrible decision. There program is beyond an utter mess right now and Locksley's recruiting won't be able to fix it. He'll be in Columbus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Utah has done pretty good, looking at the 26th or 27th in the country and 6th in the PAC 12.

16. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

well basically best class we've ever had according to the rankings. couple bits of information:

-more depth than we've ever had by a mile. this is huge and a big difference. depth of talent light worlds ahead of what it used to be...
    -except for the O-Line. Nightmare brewing there. Ours sucks and we couldn't talk Pro and Goose into being bookend tackles for us
    -we had 3 huge recruit prospects decide yesterday. We went 2 for 3. 2 huge gets but the one that got away was crazy...

Basically the story on that goes like this: DT Korren Kirven is from Lynchburg (hour away) and we have a certifiable pipeline to his school (Brookville High and same school Logan Thomas and another big DE on our team came from). In addition, Korren visited our school over 15 times, came to almost every single home game and is very tight with the players and our coaches. Well... old Nick Saban basically walked in a week ago to Brookville and said, "Korren, you are coming to play at Alabama." To which Korren responded, "Uhhh... yes sir. See you soon sir." Sad but it's Bama and Saban. What are you gonna do? Not too mention D-line isn't even close to our worry (loaded for years... well as far as the ACC requires we are "loaded," lol).

17. Goose

Goose Walk On

You call Frank up, if he's got a scholarship I'll come down for grad school.

18. Pro

Pro Walk On

I'm comitted to Kent next year but if your hostesses are nice, I'm interested.

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

Or if their asses are as nice as Alabama's fax girl.